Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New G&B Jackets

Technonut

Practically Family
Highwayman Pics Up...

Jacob Dubow said:
Technonut,

The fit of that new A-2 looks great on you!!! No shoulder droop on the epaulettes-------nice!!

Appreciate the compliment Jacob Dubow ... :)

Here are a few pics of the front quarter horsehide Aero Highwayman that arrived recently... Still somewhat stiff, even after a thorough beating yesterday... :deadhorse

aeroblkhwm001.jpg

aeroblkhwm002.jpg

aeroblkhwm005.jpg

aeroblkhwm006.jpg

aeroblkhwm008.jpg

bfrench

Familiar Face
FS A-2 fit

Technonut said:
Here you go....

gbmag002.jpg

gbmag007.jpg

I'm not sure about any "pattern tweaking" from G&B, but I do know that I really like the fit of both jackets. The fit is better than some "custom size" deals that I have had done in the past... ;)

Thanks, Technonut,

The fit is superb especially the way the shoulders square up without any shoulder droop.

I tried mine on last evening - hadn't worn it since December (been wearing the M-422a) - and it's fit is the same as yours - could have sworn the arms were loose and baggy but I'd not want them any trimmer.

Looks like a russet horse hide on the horizon.

Bill French

Technonut

Practically Family
No problem Bill... :) I have seen some pics of your G&B jackets, and they fit you well also. These jackets fit our "modern build" just well as the WW2 era jackets fit the build of that era.... G&B altered the pattern well IMO.

I would like the sleeves about 1" shorter though. The cuffs on both jackets tend to almost totally hide the knits when the arms are relaxed. I did some careful looking, and 1" cut from the cuffs would be perfect for me... :)

I will probably end-up with a closet full of G&B jackets in the future... I have my eye on the veg-tanned russet goat A-2, and the Expedition... :cool2:

bfrench

Familiar Face
Technonut said:
No problem Bill... :) I have seen some pics of your G&B jackets, and they fit you well also. These jackets fit our "modern build" just well as the WW2 era jackets fit the build of that era.... G&B altered the pattern well IMO.

I would like the sleeves about 1" shorter though. The cuffs on both jackets tend to almost totally hide the knits when the arms are relaxed. I did some careful looking, and 1" cut from the cuffs would be perfect for me... :)

I will probably end-up with a closet full of G&B jackets in the future... I have my eye on the veg-tanned russet goat A-2, and the Expedition... :cool2:

That veg tanned russet A-2 from FS is a really nice jacket - no break in - just buttery smooth right out of the box.

If they make one for you - you can request grainy hides along with tan thread - gives it an old look from the start.

Bill French

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Technonut said:
Here you go....

gbmag002.jpg

gbmag007.jpg

I'm not sure about any "pattern tweaking" from G&B, but I do know that I really like the fit of both jackets. The fit is better than some "custom size" deals that I have had done in the past... ;)

Nice.. looks like they got the epulates squared up on the shoulder too.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Congradulations, Technonut! You have discovered what many FL members fail to realize. The fit of flight jackets made for Airmen in WWII were not always form fitting and in many cases they were loose fitting depending on what was available in the Supply Depot. Yes, as you know, many WWII pictures of Air Crews wearing A-2's show all different fitting jackets. Also, congradulations for being a smart buyer. For what they charge, G&B makes the best flight jackets in the market, period. Top quality and great Customer Service at an unbeatable price. You picked a winner.

Ray

garzo

One of the Regulars
really nice jacket technonut. I received my FS HH Russet at the beginning of the year and love it.

It has a tiny defect that sort of bothers me though -- the collar hook at the throat -- it's punctured through the leather and lining, and on the inside, the back plate of the hook, instead of laying flat on the lining -- the lining has come up and over it a bit, as if it tore through the lining. it's no big deal, I just hope it doesn't end up creating a bigger hole in the lining around the backside of the hook. To be on the safe side, I stuck a tiny piece of cloth tape on the inside over the hook plate to make sure the lining does not rip around it.
The hook plate is tiny but it's one of those things. And since I live in Germany, sending it all the way back just for that isn't worth it in my opinion. I never mentioned it to them though.

Thornhill

New in Town
Let me say, nice jacket. It almost makes me want to do business with G&B again. I have a bit of a long story that I would like to add here, so bear with me. About two years ago, I ordered an Expedition from G&B. From order to delivery it was about 6 weeks. This first jacket was perfect in every way. When G&B gets something right, they REALLY get it right. Not a loose stitch, irregular cut, or fault of any kind. Hides perfectly matched, just immaculate constructiuon. The only thing was, it was a bit too big! It was a 44L and just a bit too loose through the chest. I bit the bullet, and decided to exchange it. 7-8 weeks later the 42L arrives. This was the fit I had been looking for! A couple days go by, and I suddenly notice...problems. The left side of the collar was never fully stitched into the collar stand. The last quarter inch hung loose. I hadn't noticed at first since it was in a difficult area to see when wearing the jacket. Then I reach into the inner pocket and notice that the lining of the pocket was never stitched to the leather facing, essentially making two pockets! The straw that broke the camels back was when I really started to look closely and I found that both of the side adjustment straps had little cuts in the leather. Obviously some kind of mistake someone made while sewing them to the jacket. I returned this, thing, to G&B with an angry letter demanding a decent replacement. I knew exactly when my package arrived at their factory, thank you UPS tracking, and I was expecting a phone call that day. No call. 4-5 days went by and I finally called them, only to find out that the package was still sitting on a shelf, unopened. :rage: I demanded to speak to someone in charge, who opened my package and read my letter while on the phone with me. He apologized and assured me that he would have a new jacket cut and sent out within one week. A week later, no jacket. I call again. Apparently he sent my jacket and letter to the place where they make the jackets, but they just never got around to making it. :rage: :rage: At this point I was on the verge of just asking for a refund, but I decided to give them one last chance. Finally, my jacket arrived, in perfect shape and the right size. It only took about 4 months. Oh, did I forget to mention that not one of the half dozen e-mails that I sent during this fiasco were ever answered? Just recently I sent them an e-mail about having the jacket re-lined in cotton that was never answered. I think in my whole history of dealing with them, they have never answered a single one of my e-mails.

P.S. Against my advice, my dad also tried to order a jacket from them. Twice, TWICE they sent him the wrong jacket before he gave up and cancelled the order. After they sent him the wrong jacket the 1st time, he actually went so far as to include a photo from their own catalog with a big red circle around the jacket he wanted, and they STILL sent him the wrong jacket!! :eusa_doh: But, like I said, when they do get something right, they really do get it right.

Technonut

Practically Family
garzo:.... Thanks! :) I just had to check the lining around the area you mentioned... Whew! So far so good.. ;) I will watch it though.

Thornhill: Wow.. Sorry to hear about your experience with G&B. I have heard that the customer service was lacking a couple of years back, but has improved greatly as of late.

I think it is important to be personally involved with your salesperson by telephone when placing an order. ;) I dealt with Drew, Rene'e, and spoke once with Dan. (The manager) I did have an initial issue with one of their jackets not having a map pocket like advertised, but it was made right to my satisfaction... If you need to email a salesperson there, email Rene'e Hunter. renee@gibson-barnes.com I have always gotten a reply from her within the same day. :)

I did some research before ordering my jackets, and knew that they ran large. I just ordered a size down, and they fit great. :) I did not like the way the sleeves were a little long, and made the wrist knits vanish when my arms were down... I contacted my salesperson, sent my jackets in, and within a week and a half, had them back with the sleeves reduced 1 inch in length. :)

I'm not saying that they will never drop the ball... most places of business will from time to time. I am saying that dealing with G&B was one of the more pleasant ordering experiences that I have had...

If you do decide to give them another chance, use the phone, and speak personally with Drew or Rene'e....

I have not updated this post lately, and will post some recent pics of the G&B A-2 since I have broken the horse a little. :deadhorse There is some nice grain developing now. I think folks will be surprised with the pics. :)

garzo

One of the Regulars
I gotta say that I have two G&Bs, the horsehide A2 mark 43 (with the wonky collar hook) and a really nice old-style ANJ-3 in goatskin, which fits like a dream despite not having an inside pocket (technical specifications of which seem to advertise an inside snap-shut map pocket, but actually not as there is no inside pocket).

I really like them both but if I had to do it all over again, maybe I'd just order a G&B F-82 instead of the other two.

Technonut

Practically Family
Here are a couple of quick pics showing how nicely the grain is coming-up, and the forearms getting a set-in wrinkle... ;) I will get some better pics up over the weekend. :)

squeekyGB011.jpg

squeekyGB005.jpg

Marv

A-List Customer
Quick question for guys regarding the Aero Highwayman jacket.....which would you say was the heavier/stiffer, Steerhide or Horsehide.

Technonut

Practically Family
Here are the latest G&B A-2 pics that I said I would post... :) Notice the big difference between how it looked in my first posted new pics, and now, after some break-in... ;)

GandBA2004.jpg

GandBA2006.jpg

GandBA2016.jpg

GandBA2008.jpg

GandBA2007.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart