Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Old-Timey Shaving Odyssey

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I was cruising the bay and I saw something that blew my mind. A NOS 1950's Presidential Gillette razor went for $315 I believe. IT shore was purdy and shiny.

Mike

tealseal

A-List Customer
Shave Oil

Thought I'd give this thread a bump with something I just discovered I'd been missing!

I'd always heard of shave oil, (not pre-shave, but shave), and always used it as a base coat for soap lather. I never thought it would work for me as a shaving soap/cream standalone substitute.
Then, a problem! I needed to shave but didn't have time to build a nice foamy lather. Since I have by alum block and aftershave lotion, I figured "what the hell, try the oil by itself!" So I did. I did ONE pass, with the grain, and it came out smoother than any 1-pass with grain shave I've ever had with a cream. Sure, doing my 2nd and 3rd passes across grain weren't so nice (dunno why), but, gents, if you need a quick shave, try shave oil with the grain!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner