Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Old-Timey Shaving Odyssey

Doublegun

Practically Family
Ok, razor (Mekur) - check; good blades - check; steptic pencil - check; badger brush - check; soap - check; witch hazel - check. Ok, tomorrow morning I'll give it a go. Question: what's the proper way to use an aftershave (Bay Rum)? Every time I use it I feel like I am using too much and I smell like Bay Rum for a couple of days.

Thanks,

JDG

First shave this am. Piece of cake. No blood, no burn, no negatives at all. It took a little more time than a can and standard razor but it actually was relaxing to slow down and shave. It reminded me of all the pleasure one can get from relatively mundane tasks if one is just willing to slow down life a little

Cheers,

JDG

tealseal

A-List Customer
I just ordered an alum block and I know they stop bleeding at a nick. But, is it something that you rub over your whole face or just nicks?

Mike

Does an alum block do what styptic pencil does, basically?

After I do a cold water rinse, I wet the alum block and rub it over my entire shaving area, blood or not. You'd be surprised at how many "micro nicks" you get even with no blood. It will heal those right up, and acts as a nice astringent. As a bonus, it can identify areas where your technique could be improved (some areas will hurt more than others) Once it's on and dried a bit, rinse it off again.

A styptic pen works best for targeting obviously bleeding nicks. I never use the alum block for nicks -- it's too big and clumsy.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
First shave this am. Piece of cake. No blood, no burn, no negatives at all. It took a little more time than a can and standard razor but it actually was relaxing to slow down and shave. It reminded me of all the pleasure one can get from relatively mundane tasks if one is just willing to slow down life a little

Cheers,

JDG

Fantastic! It sounds like you had a similarly excellent experience to me. I found that doing a traditional wet shave transformed what had previously been a mundane, painful, unpleasant experience into a pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable task.

Cheers!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I agree, I now actually look forward to shaving. It takes longer than my electric, but I get a nicer shave and it is more 'fun'. That and I retain my 'baby smooth' face from about 0630 to 2000 instead of a 5 o'clock shadow at about 4 o'clock.

Mike

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Does anyone know guys used to on the road when it came to shaving kits? The one I have and 99% of what I have seen don't seem to have provisions for safety razors, soap etc. They have all of the other things (brushes, combs, files) but not shaving things? Am I not looking in the right spots?

Mike

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I agree, I now actually look forward to shaving. It takes longer than my electric, but I get a nicer shave and it is more 'fun'. That and I retain my 'baby smooth' face from about 0630 to 2000 instead of a 5 o'clock shadow at about 4 o'clock.

Mike

I timed myself this morning and it took me only 15 minutes from hot towel to aftershave, and I had a nice baby smooth face when I was finished. Really, 15 minutes is quite acceptable in terms of time spent shaving, I think. I wasn't rushing either; if I took 20 minutes it would be a very leisurely shave.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Does anyone know guys used to on the road when it came to shaving kits? The one I have and 99% of what I have seen don't seem to have provisions for safety razors, soap etc. They have all of the other things (brushes, combs, files) but not shaving things? Am I not looking in the right spots?

Mike

Hi Mike, my personal travel kit for shaving goes like this: plastic soap case that holds my Gillette Tech DE and pack of blades, A large prescription pill bottle with some holes drilled in the cap to hold my brush, the small tube of C O Bigelow or C&E shave cream and a tube of Avon AS Balm [my wife likes the smell of the Black Suede]. This will have to go in your checked luggage if flying unless you substitute a disposable razor for the DE. Then when you get where you are going, find a small bowl or just squirt a little of the soap into the end of your wet brush and face lather.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Hi Mike, my personal travel kit for shaving goes like this: plastic soap case that holds my Gillette Tech DE and pack of blades, A large prescription pill bottle with some holes drilled in the cap to hold my brush, the small tube of C O Bigelow or C&E shave cream and a tube of Avon AS Balm [my wife likes the smell of the Black Suede]. This will have to go in your checked luggage if flying unless you substitute a disposable razor for the DE. Then when you get where you are going, find a small bowl or just squirt a little of the soap into the end of your wet brush and face lather.

Yeah, because I'm so sure someone's going to hijack a plane with a bloody safety razor. Man, airline security is such a smoke and mirrors game.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I hate flying these days, because you have to be careful about damn everything.

I'm off for a month starting the day after tomorrow. I want to bring my cutthroat razor along, together with a small strop. I have to pack that in the check-in luggage...what a crock...

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I hate flying these days, because you have to be careful about damn everything.

I'm off for a month starting the day after tomorrow. I want to bring my cutthroat razor along, together with a small strop. I have to pack that in the check-in luggage...what a crock...

Well, at least I can see how a straight razor could be used as a fairly intimidating weapon, but a safety razor? Come on.

BTW, Shangas, this might get you excited:
straightrazorbox.jpg

straightrazor1.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The hilarious thing is, of course, that a cartridge-razor is no less dangerous than a DE or a straight. Trust me, with enough creativity, that too could be made into a lethal weapon.

samlark

New in Town
Hi, all,

Just thought I'd add a pic to the thread. Here's my circa 1938-1941 Gillette Tech razor that I snapped up a few days ago. It takes a little more time to shave with than modern razors, but like a lot of you, I enjoy the ritual and the attention to detail. Happy shaving!

SDC10826.jpg

-- Sammy

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
What Ho, Ginny!!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you last time we were both on line. Your new straight-razor looks very nice. Remember to sharpen it lots, strop it plenty, and take it slowly. Don't use any excess pressure and don't use any force. If the razor doesn't want to co-operate, it's because you haven't prepared it properly. Don't force it to do what it can't or won't do. It will punish you by slicing your face open.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Hi, all,

Just thought I'd add a pic to the thread. Here's my circa 1938-1941 Gillette Tech razor that I snapped up a few days ago. It takes a little more time to shave with than modern razors, but like a lot of you, I enjoy the ritual and the attention to detail. Happy shaving!

-- Sammy

You have the exact same razor I use :) Very nice little razor it is indeed.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
What Ho, Ginny!!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you last time we were both on line. Your new straight-razor looks very nice. Remember to sharpen it lots, strop it plenty, and take it slowly. Don't use any excess pressure and don't use any force. If the razor doesn't want to co-operate, it's because you haven't prepared it properly. Don't force it to do what it can't or won't do. It will punish you by slicing your face open.

Hi Shangas!

No worries. I'm doing the restoration right now.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Surface-rust may be removed with very fine sandpaper and/or steel wool (sandpaper preferred). Then it's just a matter of keeping it clean and dry between uses to prevent the rust coming back.

The angle of sharpening and/or stropping will be indicated by the grind of the blade. When it runs smoothly across the stone and strop, you'll know that you've got the angle right.

Best of luck!!

If you got any questions or whatever, feel free to send me a PM, or just post here.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Surface-rust may be removed with very fine sandpaper and/or steel wool (sandpaper preferred). Then it's just a matter of keeping it clean and dry between uses to prevent the rust coming back.

The angle of sharpening and/or stropping will be indicated by the grind of the blade. When it runs smoothly across the stone and strop, you'll know that you've got the angle right.

Best of luck!!

If you got any questions or whatever, feel free to send me a PM, or just post here.

Will do, old chap! I'll post pictures when I get a chance to clean it up better. It's going to take some time and effort as it has a considerable patina built up, along with some rather nasty rust spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana