Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My shoe hell!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
So today i went out for a lovely lunch, while walking home in my lovely vintage Rayne court shoes, i ripped out a great big strip of leather off of one of the heels, (damn and blast those cobbled streets, i only stepped on the cobbles to let some elderly lady pass me). Luckily the flap of leather was hanging on by a thread and i have managed to glue it back on. But it really notices and there are deep scratches around the flap of leather.

Any suggestions as to how i can make the heel look at least wearable?

I was nearly ready to throw them out, but they are so beautiful (and the rest of the shoes are mint condition) and possibly the most comfortable pair of shoes i own.

I cried and threw things when i got home.:mad::mad::mad:

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Put lots of polish on the scratches to shine them up! I also use saddle soap on scratched leather on occasion.

What kind of leather is it? I did the same with some blue suede-covered heels, only I lost the fabric, but my boyfriend mixed up some glue and blue paint, and filled in the hole with some texture, and you can't tell the difference! Chances are, nobody but you will notice, but I know the feeling.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thankfully they are dark brown leather, i've got some saddle soap, so i will give that a whirl later and lots of polish and see how we go. Thanks Kate.

Actually i bet no one will notice, you're right, but i'm usually so careful with my things and it's so upsetting as they were perfect. Gaaah!

I hadn't even been on the sauce either!

Drappa

One Too Many
Oh no! Not sure how to fix that, but just wanted to say I feel for you. I hate when anything I wear rips or gets scratches or pulls - I'm always conscious where I leave my clothes, living with two cats.
Maybe ask a cobbler if they would be able to source some leather of that colour and fix the heel? Or if they could attach the leather on both heels if you found some leather similar enough?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thanks Drappa - they are a standard dark brown leather, so i will go and ask our cobbler. Good idea!

I completely understand where you're coming from about the cats - i have just adopted a cat, who takes great delight in sleeping on the ironing pile! Or did, he's banned from the utility room now!

Patricia Lynn

New in Town
Let me add to the recommendation of a cobbler. I once did the same thing to a pair of Jimmy Choo slingbacks (it was a good weekend in Vegas that allowed me to buy them). I was absolutely sick when it happened, but I took them in and you can barely tell anything happened to them.

Drappa

One Too Many
Well, if it makes you feel better, one of my cats likes to pee on piles of laundry occasionally, or in baskets, tote bags, and shoes. He recently ruined a great pair of knee length suede boots I have had for years and had just gotten re-heeled. The other one doesn't pee on things, but puts her claws in fabrics, preferably bedsheets or me if I'm around to use as a scratching post. Gotta love the darlings... :D

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Kitty and Patricia, thanks for the suggestions, i did visit my cobbler today and he has taken my poor shoe and said he will try his hardest to make it good for me.

Drappa - ouch, cat pee, i hope that's not the shape of things to come. I did catch the little darling clawing at my patchwork quilt in the sitting room earlier, so i whipped that away from the little blighter very quickly i can tell you!

Isis

One of the Regulars
Oh no! Not sure how to fix that, but just wanted to say I feel for you. I hate when anything I wear rips or gets scratches or pulls - I'm always conscious where I leave my clothes, living with two cats.
I live with five... And only today did I pick up a favourite sweater that I had carelessly thrown on a chair, only to find a big hole chewed on one sleeve. Huge hole, the sweater had to go. But my own fault for not putting it away.

Miss Sofia I hope you can fix up your shoes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW