Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Suit

Has anybody bought a suit from this brand? If so, how is the quality? I need some new suits and was thinking about buying some from My Suit in Manhattan.

In America, good bespoke (which, IMO, is hard-if by NO means impossible to come by in America) is a minimum of $1,500 to start for two pieces (for four pieces, a minimum of $2,250 to start) of and an average of $3,000 to start for two pieces (for four pieces, an average of $4,500 to start).

Therefore, good bespoke is out of my price range and will be for a long time coming, unfortunately. :( I simply don’t and most likely never will have anywhere near the time and money to travel to England, Italy or Japan for bespoke. :(

For the most part, in America, good made to measure (which, IMO, is easy to come by in America) is a minimum of $750 to start for two pieces (a minimum of $1,125 to start for four pieces) and an average of $1,500 to start for two pieces (an average of $2,250 to start for four pieces). The minimum starting prices are in my price range while the average prices are out of my price range and will be for a long time coming, unfortunately. :(

Made to measure suits from My Suit in Manhattan and Westchester are $495 to start for two pieces ($825 to start for four pieces). This is in my price range.

A bit off topic, but from what I have read and heard on the message boards and in fashion and style magazines, all bespoke in England, Italy and Japan is good and a maximum of ten miles away, fortunately. :)

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
NY MTM suits

At $495, my inference is that they are doing the measuring locally and off-shoring the production to Bangkok, or some place similar. With Bangkok being under water these days, they may be doing the work elsewhere.

My go-to MTM suit maker is Prince Henry in Bangkok. The average price I pay is about $100 lower than the one you quote. The brothers who run the show usually do tours in the US and Canada, the UK, Europe, and Australia several times a year, setting up shop in a hotel room with notebooks and swatch books. They take your measurements, you pick your pattern and fabric, well, it has to be pretty much the same with any of these operations.

Their announced North American tour this Fall hasn't materialized. I suspect they are up to their ankles, or higher, in the flooding.

At $495, my inference is that they are doing the measuring locally and off-shoring the production to Bangkok, or some place similar. With Bangkok being under water these days, they may be doing the work elsewhere.

My go-to MTM suit maker is Prince Henry in Bangkok. The average price I pay is about $100 lower than the one you quote. The brothers who run the show usually do tours in the US and Canada, the UK, Europe, and Australia several times a year, setting up shop in a hotel room with notebooks and swatch books. They take your measurements, you pick your pattern and fabric, well, it has to be pretty much the same with any of these operations.

Their announced North American tour this Fall hasn't materialized. I suspect they are up to their ankles, or higher, in the flooding.

How much customization or personalizing is there with Prince Henry's made to measure in Bangkok? I know that the suits are not going to have baste fittings nor a pattern created from scratch being that they are made to measure as you say. Sorry to hear about the massive flooding in Bangkok, BTW.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
My Suit Manhattan (and their other locations) are just retail outlets that take measurements, carry fabric books, and display examples. The "heavy lifting" is 100% outsourced to Asia.

Their competitive advantage is that unlike other Asian tailors who do road shows, you can walk in anytime for a fitting.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Their competitive advantage is that unlike other Asian tailors who do road shows, you can walk in anytime for a fitting.
Yes, and I believe that they do alterations at the stores as well so the inevitable tweaking required will be on the house. With the traveling shows one must either arrange for local alterations or ship back to the tailor; both less than ideal options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails