Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My traveling hats

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Back in June, I posted an announcement that I was working on my own wind cord, and that I was going to take my hats traveling. Despite little comment, I have decided to post a few descriptions of my travels, as well as hat related photos.

I began on July 21, and have been so darned busy that I have not had a chance to write anything up until today, September 25. (The only reason I have time to do it now is that I find myself in mid Atlantic, on a cargo ship out of Philadelphia, bound for Liverpool. But more on that later.)

My first trip would be to Eastern Europe, and since it was summer, my choice of hat was obvious – I would bring my travel Panama hat, which I bought in Buenos Aires seven years ago for the princely sum of $25. It has a wide brim and is designed to be folded up. It came as a plain shell, so I added a black grosgrain band. I had also created a wind cord which wound around the hat, but when in use could be attached to the inside rim, allowing the cord to stay close to my head. Here I am wearing this hat sans wind cord, on arrival at London. I have gone about 30 hours without sleep at this point, hence my expression. [060703 002]

P1010002.jpg

I spent my one day in the UK visiting Windsor and Eton, and walked about twenty miles, much of it along the Thames bank. One comment about my hat – I asked someone along the river for directions, and he thought it made me look “a bit shifty!” Despite the sun, none of the English were wearing hats. After a long bus ride back to Heathrow, and an even longer ride to Gatwick, I took a shuttle bus to my hotel. Unfortunately for me, the driver took me to the wrong hotel, something I did not discover until he had left and I tried to check in. No one at the hotel could drive me, and a taxi was not available for forty minutes. Since I was scheduled to meet someone at my hotel in thirty minutes, I angrily set off, shouldering my fifty pounds of luggage and walked the two miles to my correct hotel. Once there, I was steaming, both literally and figuratively, and let the clerk have it with both barrels. My efforts resulted in an upgrade to a palatial suite (with balcony), a small corner of which is pictured here.

P1010027.jpg

Unfortunately, the hotel bungled my wake up call the next morning, and I just barely made the shuttle to the airport. In the rush, I forgot my hat in the room. Rule number 1: a windcord will not improve your memory.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Poland

Poland
I spent a week traipsing around Southern Poland, including the wonderful city of Krakow. However, I only saw two hats. One was worn by my driver; it was made of leather and given to him by an Australian (and was Australian made).

P1010001.jpg

The other was a traditional hat worn by Polish gorales who live in the Tatra Mountain region. This fellow was at a Carpatho Russian folk festival, where a lot of ethnic costumes were worn by performing groups.

P1010016a.jpg

[060805 016a] There was, of course the occasional baseball hat.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Hungary and Czech Republic

Hungary
In Budapest, I did not see any hats, and I missed my own, which by now was back home, having been sent there by the hotel staff in England. A rather short trip for my hat - a simple round trip to and from London!

Czech Republic
By the time I reached Prague, I knew I would have to purchase a replacement. Fortunately, I came across this store, near Wenceslaus Square.

P1010010.jpg
[

I liked the Panama in the lower middle, but the brim was too wide. The one on the far left was very similar to a Stetson I already own, so I settled on the one with the leather band. It set me back about $100, but I needed one (it was summer, after all) and you only live once. I particularly like the sweat band, and it was a good fit. Here I am, wearing it at a sidewalk caf?©.

P1010011.jpg

The beer I ordered, by the way, is the original Czech Budweiser – a far cry from its American imposter!

P1010012.jpg

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Austria

Austria
Next was Vienna, and when I saw this store, located in a subway station, I was sorry I did not hold off on purchasing a hat until I got here. There appeared to be a wide price range, with hats going for $15 up to $200.

P1010072.jpg

Note that in addition to the Panamas, there is also the traditional Tyrolean hat and Austrian jacket (there must be a name for this article of clothing, but I do not know it).

P1010071.jpg

Despite this store, I only saw a few hats in Vienna, mostly Panamas, and I suspect they were worn by tourists like myself.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Germany

Germany
Berlin, I am sad to say, was no different – hardly a hat to be seen. One of the few is on this iconic symbol, seen on the old style traffic lights in the city.

P1010048.jpg

Even these are disappearing!

After three weeks, I returned home, where my traveling Panama was waiting for me. After a rest of three days, I headed out for the Dakotas. Since I have no cowboy hats, the choice of my hat was, once again, my traveling Panama. Hopefully this time I (or the wind cord) would hang on to it!

Sunny

One Too Many
This is fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing pictures and your wonderful commentary. :)

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Tilley, Panama, or Fedora...Help me decide

Thanks for the great pictures and commentary...they bring up my own dilemma...Next week I'm going on a three week trip around the coastlines of Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru, Equador on a small ship. I think the weather will mostly be hot and humid (maybe rainy). My biggest "packing my bags" dilemma is the question of what hat(s) to take. A Tilley would be the most practical, but I would also like to bring either my Akubra Federation, or my Adventurebilt Fedora. I'm thinking, however, of the difficulty traveling with these hats because they aren't really packable (crushable for baggage packing), the difficulty with taking a fedora on a long plane ride, and the question of suitability in a more tropical climate. I have several very good Panamas, but I'm not sure I want to risk them on such a trip because of the possibility of damaging or losing them. I know, there're not doing any good sitting at home. Help me decide so I can get packed.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the great travel diary with hat encounters!

I wonder if that Austrian felt is used for more conventional fedoras?

Sox

New in Town
Very nice travel log. :eusa_clap Reminds me of a TV show called "The Thirsty Traveler" except this is about hats not alcoholic beverages.
Hmmm not a bad idea for a new series.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

This thread, and the one that accompanies it on your sea journey, are what The Fedora Lounge is all about for me; seeing the world through someone else's eyes and beneath the brim of their hat. Thanks for sharing your travelogue. I hope to see more from you.
High regards,
HJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy