Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage Radio Collection

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here's an attractive
1939 GE H-610.JPG
quality little Bakelite radio - a 1939 General Electric model H-610. 6 tubes, 1-band. It has a full Bakelite back panel covering the large "Magnascope" loop antenna. I always liked the design of this set. A clean streamlined look.

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here is a large "tombstone' style radio, a General Electric model M-61 from 1934. 6-tubes, 3-bands. The set is built like a tank in and out and performs flawlessly. the tuning knob is unusual in that tuning it normal provides course tuning but snap the knob outward one notch and you get fine tuning. A truly monumental radio!
DSC00514.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here is a mini-tabletop radio that packs a lot of style for its size - a 1938 Admiral model 129-5F. It also is a good performer with a power transformer crammed aboard the small chassis. the dial glows red only when the set is turned on. Kind of like '30's FADA radios.
DSC00534.JPG

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
I, for one, quite appreciate your sharing your collection with us here. There must be scores (at least) of online “communities” of old radio collectors/restorers/etc., so I take it as a gift that you choose to post your work here.
Thank you! This site is one of the first where I began to post my collection, but I've since found a few good radio specific forums. I'm glad you enjoy seeing these sets as much as I do. I love 1930's/'40's style and radios are one of the best representations of it in my opinion. You can also enjoy hearing them play by transmitting the media of your choice to them. Regards, Joe

^^^^^^
This “community” survives, I think, because the subject matter isn’t so narrowly focused. Way back when I got onboard, 18 years ago, it was mostly about vintage clothing with a strong emphasis on hats. That’s what brought me here. And I’m glad those sub-forums still exist, even if I rarely visit there anymore. (I’m still into that stuff, hats in particular, in a big way, but I no longer feel the need to add my 2 cents to the discussions.)

I’ll never attain anything approaching your level of expertise on old radios. If I wished to know more than the small amount I do, I’d participate in a forum devoted exclusively on that stuff, just as I participate in forums devoted to art moderne and Bauhaus and midcentury modern architecture and furnishings. It’s great that those places exist, too.

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
I'm reposting my 1938 RCA Victor model 811K. 11-tubes, 3-bands, motorized selective tuning, tuning eye, and "sonic-arc" rear speaker enclosure. The dial is "jukebox-like" in that it has many pilot bulbs and selectively lit windows. The dial is "magic-dial" style in that the light transfers through the glass plate giving a soft glowing effect. It's known by collectors to be a top-shelf performer. Believe or not, this set is two models below the top-of-the-line RCA! It was designed by John Vassos.

1939 RCA Victor 811K (2).JPG
console!

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here's a monumental "half-a-console" tombstone radio, a 1936 Philco model 116B
1936 Philco 116B.JPG
. It is HUGE! It has 11-tubes, 5-bands, and innovative chassis engineering, making for a superb performer. It also has the "weathervane" tuning meter above the dial - the thinnest shadow bar indicates the station is tuned in properly.

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here is a 1946 Majestic model 5A410 Bakelite radio. I always like the streamlined design of this one. What's unusual is the left side mounted speaker. These came under a number of names from 1939 to the early '50's. The pre-war models have a plainer, more conventionally styled dial.
DSC00628.JPG

Juan José Laici

New in Town
Thank you. I've had a passion for this hobby since I was about age 12. I love things from the 1920's-1960's, but the 1930's the most.
Hi... Superb collection... I would like to ask you some questions... About this, I sent you a personal message. I hope you can give me an answer... Greetings from Switzerland... Thank you

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Just adopted this little guy yesterday. Need to sort some antenna issues out and maybe a cap or two but she functioned well at the store. I need to fire out why stupid phone does the picture thing wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_8532.jpeg
    IMG_8532.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8533.jpeg
    IMG_8533.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points