Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My visit to the USS New Jersey

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
(Note to mods: just posting this here because of its relevancy to WWII and not in the travels section.)

On 22 August, I went to Philly to check out the ships down there. I wanted to really visit the Moshulu (ex Kurt) - a Cape Horn ship that Eric Newby wrote about as he sailed on it in 1938-39 (very funny book too).

I had emailed my reenacting/living history friend about my planned visit. He told me to check out the Becuna (WWII US sub) and the flagship that was there as well as the battleship USS New Jersey. He told me that he was in the Navy and served in 'Nam and saw her firing her stern guns in the South China Seas.

He told me that he didn't get to tour her at all but would like to. So, I made that a big objective of mine, and to get some really good photos for him.

I had to make it quick with the Becuna and the flagship because my reservations were for 11 on the Moshulu, and then after I ate I went to the USS New Jersey.

I took the "Firepower Tour" which was $19.95 but it is well worth it. There was a vet (he didn't serve on that ship but others, and knew all the equipment well). It was great having a vet to explain everything and talk more in depth on the ship.

This photo I'm reposting here because it was my favorite one, and also my friend's favorite too.

100_0562.jpg

100_0590.jpg

100_0583.jpg

Rookie1

New in Town
Very nice pics. Id love to see that firsthand. The New Jersy and her sister ships were the last of the big battleships.No need for 16 inch guns with guided missles and smart bombs. They definately represent the end of an era.:)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Thanks both of you. :)

There was also a section of the deck that they were restoring. The teakwood looked wonderful, and I thought of how nice the ship would look with her teak deck fully restored. :D

I do have photos that I took inside as well.

I don't know if any would be interested in seeing some of them.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Ok. :)

I had also realized I had double posted a photo - sorry about that.:eek:

This first one shows just how low one had to bend to enter into the gun turrets:

enteringgunturret.jpg

This is an inside view of the turret. The man on the far left wasn't the tour guide, as there were other vets there to tour the ship:

insideturret.jpg

This one shows a computer that was developed in the 1930s - 40s and was advanced enough to last for a few decades. When the vet said that, I had thought about the computers used on the U-Boats to fire torpedoes.

insideturret2.jpg

This section was the main center for operations:

100_0612.jpg

Another view:

100_0602.jpg

Will add more photos...

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
One of the radars in the main center:

100_0604.jpg

The table the officers ate at:

100_0595.jpg

The Admiral's bed. There was an Admiral and a Captain to the ship.

100_0601.jpg

Admiral's table where he would have meals with guests, etc.

admiralsarea.jpg

Admiral's in port cabin area:

admiralsarea2.jpg

Not the best photo - but this is reproduction silverware that the Admiral would have used. Officers bought their meals as well.

admiralsarea3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou