Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My yardsale find

BJonas

One of the Regulars
Just wanna share something kinda cool.

A few years ago my mom was yardsale-ing and found an estate sale. It was the estate of a woman named Bobbe Arnst. She bought a bag of magazine clippings and odds and ends because they were from the thirties and forties and she knew I liked that stuff.

Turns out that she was an actress, and was once married to Tarzan himself, Johnny Weissmuller. I don't know if this has anything to do with their her, but the Tarzan movies were filmed in Silver Springs, FL, just a stone's throw away from where I live.

(See, this is why the Fedora Lounge is so cool. I couldn't share this with anybody else and have them be interested;) )

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I do LOVE these kinds of stories & coincidences. How awesome.
Did you get a nice little treasure of articles and such??

I bought on ebay a 'Lot' of photos. They are the most gorgeous
photos from the 1910's - 1920s. This art gallery owner use to have
the stage actors come by and take photos at his studio & they would
sign them. This is basically the bulk of the photos. ONE of the signed photos
is a young George Kelly, the uncle of Grace Kelly, and a Pulitzer Prize–winning playwright. This was my biggest treasure of the lot, but they all are wonderful!

BJonas

One of the Regulars
jazzzbaby said:
I do LOVE these kinds of stories & coincidences. How awesome.
Did you get a nice little treasure of articles and such??

It was a strange mix: some drawings cut out of a fashion magazine, a few sketches (presumably by Ms. Arnst), a review of a play she was in (that included a picture of her), and a few articles from magazines.

Interestingly enough, there was a lot of receipts from where she had been wiring something like $200 to someone in California every month. I've always wondered what kind of story lay behind that...

punkinhed

New in Town
Google Bobbe Arnst

I found this quote online describing the settlement between JW and his second wife, Lupe (Google Lupe V?©lez while you're at it! ;) ): "Time and time again, Lupe filed for divorce, only to patch it up. Finally, in 1938, the marriage came to an end. Johnny was to pay Lupe $200 a week for three years, except when she was working. She also got their Beverly Hills home and furniture. He got their two boats: a schooner and a speedster. Six years later, the Mexican spitfire, who never remarried, committed suicide. She had apparently become pregnant by a young actor who refused to marry her." http://www.geostan.ca/bio.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24