Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery Chinese Coat (redeux)

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
I just posted this in the WW2 section but I've been advised this might be the better place...

Here's another puzzle for the FL experts. It's a dark blue gabardine coat with great pockets and tabs on the cuffs, a removable rabbit fur (I think) liner, and Chinese tag. If I had to guess I'd say 40s or 50s based on the fabric, tag, cut, feel, and smell ;)

What do you guys think? is this a workman's coat? A military coat? What era?

sCHNcoat1.jpg

sCHNcoat5.jpg

sCHNcoat6.jpg

sCHNcoat8.jpg

sCHNcoat9.jpg

sCHNcoat16.jpg

sCHNcoat17.jpg

sCHNcoat11.jpg

Just as a further clue, I found this in the pocket:

schnmoney1.jpg

Thanks for your help!

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
The back of the collar is very similar in stitch design,as a couple of my war time irvin jacket collars.could there be a connection: british made? an irvin factory worker? all war time irvins were secretly made in china? :eusa_doh: [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
blacklagoon said:
The back of the collar is very similar in stitch design,as a couple of my war time irvin jacket collars.could there be a connection: british made? an irvin factory worker? all war time irvins were secretly made in china? :eusa_doh: [huh]

That zig-zag stitching across the back of the collar is most certainly not unique to Irvins blacklagoon. You see it on all sorts of garments from a variety of countries.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
This type of coat, which is apparently Chinese, would be quite difficult to date accurately because this utilitarian, Communist Chinese, quasi-military "style" lasted a long time. It is not necessarily military.
As mentioned, the date of the note (1960) may help, or not- depends on how long that particular note was in circulation, among other things.

We don't know if the note is contemporary to the coat.
It's a nice example and looks like a classic example of "post-war Communist China" attire.

I think you need a Chinese person to help.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats