Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myth: Kill it or defend it...

Dayonfire

New in Town
Excellent

Fantastic sir! Thank you so much.

I am saving money for the mythical hat I've talked about. Unblocked.

If you come across one (one of those 1000s?) that can pass through a wedding ring, please post or email me the vid. Heck, if you can send me a vid of one of those in the pics you sent me, I'd be thrilled. I'll do a dance with absinthe in hand.

Michael
www.thedayonfire.com

P.S. Obsession or conviction...a matter of nomenclature.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Dayonfire said:
Fantastic sir! Thank you so much.

I am saving money for the mythical hat I've talked about. Unblocked.

If you come across one (one of those 1000s?) that can pass through a wedding ring, please post or email me the vid. Heck, if you can send me a vid of one of those in the pics you sent me, I'd be thrilled. I'll do a dance with absinthe in hand.

Michael
www.thedayonfire.com

P.S. Obsession or conviction...a matter of nomenclature.
Michael,

Will you share your absinthe dance video if I share this picture?

Tom:D

PHMHungaryTomfinofinounblocked1700w.jpg

P.S.:Could you kindly share those other nice hat pictures which Bob has sent you?

Dayonfire

New in Town
Pictures of Myth

Bob, do you mind if I post the pics of the super fine panamas you sent me a while back?

I'll also have to post a pic or two of me wearing mine, now that the weather in MN finally permits.

Dayonfire

New in Town
Checking in

Anyone have any pics of a mythically fine-woven panama passing through a wedding ring? As time goes by, I really want to see if this can be done by a real hat.

Saving my pennies.

Michael

Dayonfire said:
Anyone have any pics of a mythically fine-woven panama passing through a wedding ring? As time goes by, I really want to see if this can be done by a real hat.

I think that those hats that are of a mythically fine weave also have prices of mythic proportions and are out of the purchase realm of the vast majority of the members.

Dayonfire

New in Town
I'm sure they are...I just want to see for my own eyes that they do, indeed, exist. Heck, maybe one day...unblocked.

I wish I could remember where it was but I recall seeing a photo of a high high end panama rolled and inserted in a ring. I think it was at the makers factory and before the hat was completed, so just a body rolled up pretty tight. Also they didn't say if the ring was sized for Andre the Giant either.

It may have been an article in Cigar Afficionado, but probably quite a while back.

I think some of their archived articles are on line maybe you can spot it there.

duggap

Banned
There have been pics of it being done. It is done without a ribbon or sweat. I have one that is 550 WPSI and I believe it would almost fit through a ring if it were a decent size ring.:)

Dayonfire

New in Town
Thanks for chiming in, guys. If you happen to track down one of those pics, please share! I just want to see it done.

550 huh? Sounds great.

I wear the superfino from Village Hat Shop. Grade 30 (whatever that is supposed to mean). No idea of wps, but it is pretty nice. Of course, had I known about the forum...I bet I could have gotten a better hat for the money.

m.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I just rolled a hat that has between 400-500 weaves per square inch. It's just a little bit bigger than a quarter. I think that I could get it tighter.

In our place, a hat body like this is between $170 and $300, depending on which way it slides on the fineness scale.

I have finer hats in the closet, but am too shy to roll.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BC1rwpwVs[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BC1rwpwVs

Ooh, and you can hear me whine a little bit, too.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
I have finer hats in the closet, but am too shy to roll.

Me too, :D

There is no money in the world that I would roll my Montecristis I got from you - irony in life> once you get them the reverence for the masterpiece is too big to roll.

Thanks Bob for these superfine panamas I got from you!

Tom

Dayonfire

New in Town
Wow

Bob, thank you much for rolling that hat. That is the rollability I was looking for. That would be fine enough to roll and tuck into an inside breast pocket. You say it was 400-500 wpsi.

1. Would one of, say, 600-800 wpsi roll even smaller? What would be the cost scale for those?

2. Am I to assume that rolling that hat in the video did no permanent damage to the hat?

Thanks for your work in showing me just how supple these beauties are. I am saving my pennies and working on a raise. I will hopefully be contacting you in time for next summer. Cheers.

P.S. I am morbidly curious how my VH "superfino" holds up to these beauties. I hope to take a pic of the wpsi with a ruler soon. I'll post.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I would defer to the expert (PB), but want to chime in, to find out about this aspect: I think the rolled hats had silk (or similar synthetic) sweatbands - not leather. Or, if they did have leather, it was paper-thin leather. Also - difficult to imagine that there was much stiffener on them either. The rolled hat probably took some work to get it looking half-way decent; the rolling may have been intended primarily for shipping purposes.

So, I would suspect that the rolled hat (commonly rolled, not just rolled once for shipping) would have been a fino grade rather than a really super tight weave. Felt 'crushers' were not a person's top-shelf hat either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn