Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nachtjager Jacket

Metatron

One Too Many
This is the so called Nachtjager by Noble House. It's based on the 1944/45 heated jacket issued to luftwaffe pilots. I was looking for a jacket in this style for quite a while, and I was really excited to find this repro.

The thing I like about this garment is that it isn't instantly recognizable as a 'Biggles jacket', it has a more dark yet understated look to it. In a way it resembles a cafe racer with a sheepskin collar. (The originals had a fake fur made of velveteen apparently-shame they didn't try to replicate this). It's also unusual to see buttons rather than a zipper on a short jacket like this.

DSCN0057.jpg

jacke0.jpg

jacke01.jpg

I got a standard 42 size, and it seems to be a very good, snug fit. I often get compliments when wearing it, and the throat latch and sheepskin collar are actually very practical on wet, windy days.

There are a couple of things I would have done differently in retrospect: one, I originally wanted it in brown, it wasn't offered as an option on the website but I should have asked for a mod. Also the lining which is gray cotton with some padding is fine, but I would have preferred rayon or satin, at least in the sleeves to make it more comfortable to put on.

Maybe I will eventually get the sleeves relined if it doesn't cost too much.
Also I wonder if it's possible to dye it brown. [huh]
I might be interested in going down the path of personal customization, who knows, I might enjoy the process.

andy richards

Practically Family
This is a nice looking jacket. Never seen one before. Though I am not a real "Noble House-fan", I like the jacket and I think it looks very good on you. Brown would be nice too... What kind of leather is used?
Thanks for posting,
Andy

Metatron

One Too Many
Found some time to experiment with the timer shots outdoors, unfortunately the light was already fading, so there's still flash. Still, these do the jacket more justice, putting it in context.

DSCN0002_01.jpg

DSCN0003_01.jpg

DSCN0004_01.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket and you look great in it.

But should you use Biggles to describe a German issue jacket? Or have I missed a reference?

Metatron

One Too Many
The reverse is true, what I meant was that for someone that doesn't recognize the specific design, it might look more like an 'loosely aviation inspired' jacket rather than a near exact copy of an issued flight suit, which I am happy with, because I didn't want the aviation reference to be too obvious. No offence to those who do of course! It's a subjective matter. :D

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
That's a very nice looking jacket.

If you are in the States how long did it take to receive through the post?

What do you think about the quality as far as seams, durability of the leather, lining, etc?

Metatron

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments. I was in the Eastern Mediterranean when I ordered the jacket, (but still in the European Union) and the jacket arrived in around a couple of weeks from what I remember. So the delivery was very prompt, but I can't say how long it would take to arrive in the states.

Ok concerning seams, I must admit I did encounter a few annoying loose threads, which thankfully were nothing serious.

The leather is very soft vegetable tanned cow hide with aniline finish, which gives it a natural, slightly uneven, slightly matte texture. I found this odd when I first received it, but at the time I wasn't aware of the qualities of aniline dye, and i've grown to love the suppleness it offers. It may however need more care than your average pigmented leather as it's a bit absorbent.

Lining is a nice grey cotton with light padding underneath. Initially I would have preferred a plain rayon lining, but in the winter months I was thankful for the padding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner