Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name That Suiting

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
Hi guys, I'm hoping to take advantage of my fellow Loungers' incredible wealth of knowledge once more to help me with my ongoing formalwear research. This time I've got one of Esquire's "fabric picture" pictorials where they assemble an illustration using actual swatches of fabric. The issue is from 1937 and depicts a warm-weather black tie kit. A very high res version (6MB) of the image can be found at http://www.blacktieguide.com/Vintage/WWBT/1934_Jul_Esq_p84.gif. At the time, (off)white jackets were being made of gabardine, duck, linen, tropical worsted and Palm Beach fabric among other materials. Any idea as to what was used for this illustration?

1934_Jul_Esq_p84.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Assuming the list of fabrics is inclusive, that is, this sample has to be one of those:
It's not gabardine, I doubt duck.
Linen- well, it depends on the weave, but I take it there was an assumed weave for linen at the time.
Best guess?
Tropical worsted. That's what it looks like to me, simply put.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Dakatanorth makes a very sound guesstimate with tropical worsted wool but looking at the high res picture, I would say linen. Either fabric would also be inline with a warm weather jacket which is the appropriate time for a white dinner jacket. Although I must confess I have never seen one in white linen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot