Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Narrow Tie - Wide Guy

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
I'm still trying to dig up a photo of Jack Weston in The Thomas Crown Affair. (screep caps, anyone?)
Are these any good?
CROWN-6.jpg

CROWN-1.jpg

CROWN-39.jpg

CROWN-20.jpg

Thanks for pics, Feraud!

CROWN-39.jpg

I'd say that stingy is a 1 7/8", and it fits him perfectly. (Why can't I just find that exact hat anywhere?) Hard to tell about the tie, but it looks to me that at its widest it would be about 3", as opposed to the 2 1/2" that I consider to be a narrow. (While to most men, a 3" is considered narrow, but is what I call average.)

CROWN-20.jpg

Weston just screams 60s cool here. The bank robbery scene in this film played a major part in kickstarting my obsession with vintage. To this day, I can't wear my Milano straw and sunglasses into a bank without imagining myself throwing those tear gas cannisters around. :D

Originally posted by Baron Kurtz:

Someone should add this to the old wives' tales thread in Suits.

Another says that short, slim men can't wear wide lapels, wide ties, or DB suits (i think Flusser has something to say about that also) ... and should stick to stingy brims. Hah!

Thus my interest in having this thread opened for discussion, and thanks to Tony for doing so. As I posted, I was always a follower of the the three narrows/three wides theory, but there you have Hawkins proving me wrong. (That hat brim of his has to be 2 1/2", doesn't it?)

Flusser et al, may be the respected authorities, but their rules only take into account the body and not demeanor. As Tony noted, even a smile, or lack of, can make or break a suit. I think these blanket statements of theirs are keeping a lot of men from looking their best.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
To get an accurate image of how this look works, i'd like to see a full length shot of Tony in the stingy brim, skinny tie combo.

Just because, re-looking at those pics, the look looks better on the one that's taken slightly further away from him. I think my opinions will move even further to the positive if i see a full length pic ..

bk

Well, here goes. It's a tad grainy. Click on the thumbnail for a larger version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran