Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nat veg tan cow cross twistlock evolution log

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
jacket soaked by spraying
this leather does not shrink :)

the jacket appear shorter true
why?
read my previous replies if you will

I like how it looks and how it fits me.:) and I sure know what I like

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
jacket soaked by spraying
this leather does not shrink :)

the jacket appear shorter true
why?
read my previous replies if you will

I like how it looks and how it fits me.:) and I sure know what I like
Dang well maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but it definitely looks a good bit shorter after the soak.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have replied in words, but since english is not my native language maybe it is boring to read, so here is a picture
If this fail to explain, then I give up explaining
IMG_20200615_192313.jpg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to say I really like this thread and where it is going :)

Very curious to see it after it gets more exposure to the sun

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I heard you Nav. I think there's a stong preconception that leather shrinks when soaked and this was projected on your jacket story.
I'm not a shrinkage denial, my jeans shrunk, my denim jacket shrunk, all raw denim shrunk when washed, i said my type3 sleeve shrunk etc being too short but i learned to live with it.

However I never hear preconception about leather shrinks when soaked, otherwise people dont need facelift if by wetting their face it shrinks, or we would hear stories about shoes shrinking after being caught in the rain. I washed all my other jackets in washing machine you said you do too, none of them shrank on me. Leather is more likely expand than shrink to me since they are a dense material, especially nat veg tan they are so dry and dense, we can wet and mould them to expand over a 3D shape

I also dont lie to hide facts im not totally happy with, i showed the stains, and the not so neatly cut of facing around the collar due to change in plan during construction, i live with them. But shrinkage of leather by wetting it, i simply didnt experience it.
Jacket appears shorter on body and sleeve yes i can see that very clearly.

Last edited:
I’d just let nature take its course from this point forward. Let the sun do the work of tanning it. It does appear to be a truly natural, raw and naked hide. Just needs sun, sweat and wear to really burnish up.
I get what you are saying about the hard set creases creating an illusion of shrinkage. I’d oil/condition it and just wear it. Let it evolve naturally.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Around 3 months now, not much wearing out time due to pandemic, so the darkening is just from sitting on the hanger under a shade in my back garden, and several hours sun tanned i think 2x followed with mink oil conditioning thats all. In the comparison the latest is top left, the oldest is bottom right.
IMG_20200903_182429.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Now, i know where the shrinkage story coming from, MF campus comic story like that old levis shrink to fit comic. And since my jacketcis also nat vegtan.... I get it.
But no shrinkage really. It bricked kinda yeah, what very little softness in the new leather was gone after being wetted and dry, maybe what little trace of oil in it brought by the water toward the lowest parts of the jacket... maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points