Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Natal Cafe Racer - Can anyone tell me more about this jacket?

Bluechel

Practically Family
Hello, haven't posted in a while, but I'm the guy from the area, still trying to solve the mystery behind Natal Leathers and the Natal/Natel - Kerr connection.

Since I last posted I ran across a old Kerr dealer from the UK who's sitting on a cache of NOS (New Old Stock) Kerr leathers!
He's selling on eBay right now with various sizes.
I'll edit this later with his eBay listing # for anyone interested.

Anyway we msg'ed back and forth a bit. He told me Hugh Kerr had talked him into visiting him in Salem and attending the Laconia bike rally during the early 2000s.

He said they went by Hugh's "shop", and he was surprised to see a single worker, sitting behind a single sewing machine sewing labels into garments. This throws some weight behind the theory that Kerr was just re-branding other manufacturers goods for distribution, and that Kerr's are in fact Natal (who was located just 2 miles away).

He also mention that Kerr had two lines of product, these heavy US made leathers and another cheaper line of offshore made goods, so be careful when online shopping.

Again, I own two Walter Dyers, and I have owned a half dozen Natal/Kerr pieces, and can definitely see the similarities between Dyer and Natal, but they aren't the exact same. I tend to believe the connection may be something along the lines of Natal swiping designs or possibly being an ex-employee of WD. Very likely both buying from the same leather tanneries at one point, as the two shops operated in the same state about 20 minutes away from each other.

Another note about Walter Dyer, last I had heard a relative, while retired and living on Cape Cad, still had some old stock and was also occasionally selling on eBay.
I am looking at a Kerr and a Natal in similar size here at my house and they are close to identical in style, build and weight and grain…….hmmmmmmmm

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
I am looking at a Kerr and a Natal in similar size here at my house and they are close to identical in style, build and weight and grain…….hmmmmmmmm
Yes, I have both as well. I have a 42 Natal and a 44 Kerr cross zip Brando style that are identical also. But I have a Cafe Kerr that while it's as thick, heavy and soft as the others, but it seems to have some kind of finish on it, not the naked leather of the other two. It crossed my mind the other day that perhaps the last owner put shoe polish or something on it? IDK.

Last edited:

Bluechel

Practically Family
Yes, I have both as well. I have a 42 Natal and a 44 Kerr cross zip Brando style that are identical as well. But I have a Cafe Kerr that while it's as thick, heavy and soft as the others, but it seems to have some kind of finish on it, not the naked leather of the other two. It crossed my mind the other day that perhaps the last owner put shoe polish or something on it? IDK.
Then that leather may be slowly (quickly?) dying…there are products to possibly remove that layer and it may be interesting to see….

blm14

One of the Regulars

one of these up on ebay now :)

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Kerr vs Natal

Attachments

• IMG_4891.jpeg
    IMG_4891.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads