Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

JamesT1

Familiar Face
manton said:
Actually, the duke of Windsor did not wear this knot at all. He got bespoke ties, cut wide at the knot area and upper blade, and with fairly thick wool linings. He used a four-in-hand knot which tied up wider than usual because of the make of his ties.

The Windsor knot was an attempt to replicate the look of his knots with ordinary ties. If you look at photos, however, you see that his knots are too irregular and asymetrical to be "Windsor" knotted. Also, the width at the top of the front blade, just below the knot, is wider.

As usual, Manton comes through with the truth.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
BE026385-1.jpg
I must say that tie and jacket combo looks horrific.

Steve

Practically Family
Getting that perfect tie knot.

"This tie, it will not tie." He became dangerously sarcastic. "Not round my neck! Round the bed-post! Oh yes, twenty times have I made it up round the bed-post, but round my neck, no! Oh dear no! begs to be excused!"
Peter Pan, chapter two.

This Friday, I'll be the photographer for a formal dinner at my church, and to set myself apart from the waiters, I purchased a simple black tie yesterday. Being new to the art of dressing well, I was practicing tying it earlier this morning. I learned to tie a tie in half-windsor style, which used to work well, but at present I just can't seem to get it right. The knot is always off-center, or rectangular. This is the best I've been able to come up with so far, please forgive the ratty shirt, I wasn't dressed yet:

img7900vx6.jpg

I'm after a more sharply-defined triangle, but it remains elusive. I know I've seen it, but I can't seem to do it myself. Any thoughts on how to improve? Or should I simply keep it as it is so as to not look "affected" as Matt Deckard puts it?

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I usually use a double windsor, as the single tends to look more crooked to me (just my own opinion...I know there are many here that like the single-windsor). If you are looking for a more symmetrical look, and the length of the tie can accomodate, try the double. Just my 2 cents.

I don't see anything wrong with that knot. ^^^

The tightness of the triangle is going to be dependent upon the thickness of the fabric/lining etc. of the tie. Vintage ties give very tight, very triangular knots, depending upon which knot is tied. Alot of this is down to the lack of lining.

Are you looking for an isosceles or equilarteral triangle (i know equilateral is isosceles; by isosceles i mean a triangle with two sided equality)?

bk

Feraud

Bartender
The tie looks fine. Keep in mind the shape of the knot is nature of the style.
A full Windsor will look more equal due to the double loop you use to tie it. A Pratt or Four in Hand will look smaller and more defined.
Material and technique will vary the tie shape too.

The perfect knot is an illusion, but a worthy quest.:)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Yep! That was pretty much the conclusion. Dimpling does require a tighter knot than is currently in fashion...but then again, we don't worry about current fashion here.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That little knot

They weren't substantial like you see on the stars and heads of state today. I think a lot of vintage ties get a bad rap for being made of such thin and light silk... though that is what silk is supposed to be.

Seven fold and lined to the hilt is wha you find at shops today. I like the old ones that advertised resilience to wrinkles... some had both ends made the same width and clips or even button holes to hold them down in the wind. i like the vintage because they can get caught in the wind and create a dramatic effect. The knot smaller and... well I just think they looked better.

Personal preference...

Then
errol281x400.jpg
stewart2.jpg

Now
brosnan.gif
Schwarzenegger.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I still prefer the beefier Windsor Knot Matt...

My personal preference is for the larger Windsor Knot, as named after that aficianado of fashion, Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (yes...the 'gave up my throne for love of an American lass' fame).

The skinny knots are 'just not me.' All down to personal preference and wouldn't it be soooo boring if we 'all' looked the same!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80