Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a new 60s hair do idea

Dani California

Familiar Face
I'm getting my hair done tomorrow and I just feel a need a change. I was thinking of getting a more 1962 hair style. Does anybody have any pictures/suggestions?

crwritt

One Too Many
No hairdo ideas, but I like your hat in your avatar. I bought a similar hat a few weeks ago, and am enjoying it so much, wonder if it is the same one. Is yours a Wallaroo?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The main focus of this lounge is 20s to late 50s, so if youre a mod chick (arent we all a bit anyway?) that youll be new territory. Some gals may know, but you might have to do a lot of your own research.

Did you check out the amazingly content rich "Show us your hair do thread?" I tell ya, those ladies can do some amazing things. :rolleyes:

LD

Lillemor

One Too Many
www.hji.co.uk is a good source for period hairstyles.

I think it would've dependent on the age group of the wearer.
Annette Funicello has been around since the mid 50s but was "huge" in the 60s with the younger crowds.

annette.jpg

There were a couple of other photos of her in my image search I like better because it has that kind of clean, nice, timeless, 50s look I thrive for in every-day look but each to their own. I can see why my tastes would be considered boring or "old lady" by most people's definition, even by most vintage enthusiasts.:( The look would've crossed over into 1962 for more mature women, meaning over 24. I can see that from old photos of my MIL whose hair, glasses and clothes style didn't really change from the mid 50s and until the mid 60s again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elULpPFppFU Look at the ladies/girls in the audience too. :eek:fftopic: I love the dress Annette is wearing!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:
www.hji.co.uk is a good source for period hairstyles.

I think it would've dependent on the age group of the wearer.
Annette Funicello has been around since the mid 50s but was "huge" in the 60s with the younger crowds.

annette.jpg

There were a couple of other photos of her in my image search I like better because it has that kind of clean, nice, timeless, 50s look I thrive for in every-day look but each to their own. I can see why my tastes would be considered boring or "old lady" by most people's definition, even by most vintage enthusiasts.:( The look would've crossed over into 1962 for more mature women, meaning over 24. I can see that from old photos of my MIL whose hair, glasses and clothes style didn't really change from the mid 50s and until the mid 60s again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elULpPFppFU Look at the ladies/girls in the audience too. :eek:fftopic: I love the dress Annette is wearing!

How on earth did they get that hair so high!!!!???

Blondie

Practically Family
Her hair was probably back combed ( teased in Aussie-speak ) to an inch of it's life then smoothed over a hair piece.

Dani California

Familiar Face
crwritt said:
No hairdo ideas, but I like your hat in your avatar. I bought a similar hat a few weeks ago, and am enjoying it so much, wonder if it is the same one. Is yours a Wallaroo?

Thank you:) I'm not sure what the brand is...I got it at Macy's for $4 from $60!

Dani California

Familiar Face
Blondie said:
Watch Mad Men on TV ! Loads of good early 60's styles on there.

That's exactly what I did:) I love that show! I took a picture of Renee from "Down With Love" as well. My hairdresser loves to do vintage on me so he was thrilled when I wanted to go for the 1960 look. He did an amazing job! I love my new swept bangs and the layers he put in it:) I feel so much better now that I did something different:)

Blondie

Practically Family
Even though i aint a 60's gal i LOVE that show, the clothes, and the hair, and the makeup , it's the BEST !!
Please post a pic of her new hairdo so we can see

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Dani California said:
That's exactly what I did:) I love that show! I took a picture of Renee from "Down With Love" as well. My hairdresser loves to do vintage on me so he was thrilled when I wanted to go for the 1960 look. He did an amazing job! I love my new swept bangs and the layers he put in it:) I feel so much better now that I did something different:)

Good to hear you got something you wanted!

Another good hair model from that era is Gail O'Grady as Helen Pryor in American Dreams I love her hair in that!

american-dreams10.jpg

actor17.jpg

Dani California

Familiar Face
Blondie said:
Even though i aint a 60's gal i LOVE that show, the clothes, and the hair, and the makeup , it's the BEST !!
Please post a pic of her new hairdo so we can see

If I have a good hair day this weekend, i'll take some pics. The bangs I got are like Joan Holloway's on Mad Men. I had my hairdresser cut it so I could still do my 40's + 50's style. I guess it was my addiction to Mad Men that made me want to go for the 1960 look which I think is still very 1950's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner