Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a New Straw Hat . . . . All Opinions Welcome

Chris W.

New in Town
My current straw hat came from the straw market in Nassau, Bahamas. Purchased I should say as I'm guessing probably is cheap knock off from China, if you look inside you can see where tag was removed. Just pieces of straw sewn together. But it has served me well for last 7-8 years. But it’s time to upgrade and I'm not sure what I should get.

What I want is basically a fun hat that can breathe (will not be hot on my head), I can where to beach, repels sun, is stylish and I can get for less than $100. I was thinking a genuine Panama hat but not so sure that is right style I want. They seem to be more white than I think I want. I posted a pic of the style I want. Picture borrowed from Planete Panama. Seems they don’t have a great reputation around here but I really like that color and shape and like the brown ribbon. The site states it’s a superfino Cuenca. Its only $65 shipped. I also found the R7 Tilley Town Hat, from tilley.com, second picture, borrowed again from their site (bigger pic on site). I really like the write up on the site about this hat, repels rain, ties on in the wind, insured against loss, excellent sun protection, secret pocket, three removable and washable sweatband pieces, medium brim. I really like the style. I like the beige color on both hats.

I know everyone swears by Panama Bob here. Is there something similar I could get from him? Also, can anyone tell me why his ebay hats are so much cheaper, are they seconds? overstocks?

So what should I get? Thanks in advance for everyone’s suggestions.

ch-sf.jpg

R7_Natural_couleurnaturelle_thumb.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
I just picked up a nice straw hat from a hat shop in Palm Springs last weekend. It's a Dorfman Pacific / Scala. Very nice weave in a natural fiber, hand woven in Ecuador, then finished in the US. The color is not a bright white, but more of a light natural color. Very light and comfortable, and did the job of keeping the sun off my head at an outdoor wedding.Cost was $85.00 from the shop in Palm Springs, which I felt was reasonable for the quality.

Scalahat.jpg

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Ebay is a vehicle to move stock. Lots of brisas and brisa finos there. Weave quality is 2-3 grades higher than that scala on most. I do have some hats exactly the same weave as the Scala and finished by the same company in Cuenca.

The special discounted hats on the website are a great deal.

The hats in your photo, just got some in. Black grosgrain, wicking sweat. Grade 6/8....working on ebay price, but probably $60.00. That grade 1/2 in the other photo shows for $85.00. I've sold them all day long for $40.00 and sometimes less on ebay.

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
May I also suggest, depending on your needs, a 'fake' straw, but beautiful Akubra Capricorn? I believe you'll find a thread somewhere on this forum with nothing but praise for it.

It is the ultimate no worries/vacation hat in my opinion. I even swam with it in the Red Sea, and the thing still looks like new :) It is about a year or two old now I think, litteraly looks brand new. It has a very nice look, and have received plenty of compliments (usually from older women/men though..). It looks good, is very airy, has a nice brim to protect from sun, and it will not break your heart in case something happens to it.

Chris W.

New in Town
Thanks Guys!

A lot to think about. Just need to make up my mind. Will definitely keep an eye on Ebay, Panama Bob. Unfortunately, my head is size 62cm and its seems most of your specials are not that big. But I'll keep a lookout. Again, thanks everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn