Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a summer hat recommendation

Alon

One of the Regulars
Gents,

I'm spending most of my summer months in southern France and the Holy Land. I think a panama hat is my best bet for the Mediterranean sun. Where would I be able to find a good panama for around $50?

Thank you!

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
1) Thrift shop
2) E-bay
3) Flea market
4) Time machine

but a little more constructive. I would avoid the cheapo Ultrafino's on e-bay.
I have one of the better quality ones from them and am satisfied (please no panama pissing match) but the cheap one are just that....cheap.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
St.Ignatz said:
the cheap one are just that....cheap.

Very true but I have a cheap one from M&S, it cost me £25 a few years ago and it is a folder which I use it for traveling, the beach, etc all the sort of things I have a good chance of getting it very dirty, bashed or lost. So being cheap I do not really mind any wear and tear it receives. I guess I would not like to wear it to friends wedding or if I am ever called to Buckingham Palace for a Garden party but you get my drift.

I do agree it is not the best but it does the job.

This is the sort of thing, this picture makes it look horrid, however, mine has a black ribbon and it looks okay in the flesh. If they ship to Canada or your address in SoF.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/p...ds=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n:43451030&page=5

I am sure you would be able to get some form of a straw hat in the South of France, when you are there.

tortswon

Practically Family
St.Ignatz said:
I would avoid the cheapo Ultrafino's on e-bay.
I have one of the better quality ones from them and am satisfied (please no panama pissing match) but the cheap one are just that....cheap.

+1.

Ignatz, that new avatar is tasteful and touching. Best, Sam

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have tried straw hats of many different price levels and types. If there is one constant that has emerged, it's that cheap milan straws (fake or otherwise) are the most practical summer hats. They aren't as flimsy as cheap panamas, it takes longer for the sweat to stain through the straw, they are breathable, and if they only last a season or two... so what. [huh]

I don't doubt that my Panama Cuenca will outlast every cheap hat I'll ever buy, and is just oozing quality. But it will require constant attention to keep nice, and is, honestly, hotter than the cheapy hats.

You can get a fair milan for under $70. I think that's a fair compromise.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up

carldelo

One Too Many
If the Stetson Retro came big enough, I would have one, it looks great.

This is a nearly indestructible poly straw hat that I've had for a year:
http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=247
It rolls up and can be dunked/cleaned, etc. It doesn't feel like plastic, more like slightly floppy straw. It has a cloth sweat. I cut the wind cord off mine and use it for city/hiking/kayak wear.

Many recommend the Akubra Capricorn, a stiffer poly straw with leather sweat - very inexpensive (less than $50 shipped from OZ). I have one on order but haven't received it yet. There are multiple threads on it, here's one:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=38186

Goose.

Practically Family
Yep, what Carldelo and Blues typed. Check out a Stetson or Capricorn.
I have four Panamas; three Brent Blacks and a Stetson. Two Capricorns.
For travel, to a hot climate where there's a chance of inclement weather, I might take the Stetson Center Dent...but definintely would take one of my Capricorn lids.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Mr.G. An inexpensive knock around straw that hold up is a great find. The one I purchased fit nicely until the first sweat then it went from a 7 5/8 to a 7 3/8.

Sam Thanks my friend. The crawl is building slowly but building.:eek:fftopic:

Mr. Godfrey said:
Very true but I have a cheap one from M&S, it cost me £25 a few years ago and it is a folder which I use it for traveling, the beach, etc all the sort of things I have a good chance of getting it very dirty, bashed or lost. So being cheap I do not really mind any wear and tear it receives. I guess I would not like to wear it to friends wedding or if I am ever called to Buckingham Palace for a Garden party but you get my drift.

I do agree it is not the best but it does the job.

This is the sort of thing, this picture makes it look horrid, however, mine has a black ribbon and it looks okay in the flesh. If they ship to Canada or your address in SoF.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/p...ds=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n:43451030&page=5

I am sure you would be able to get some form of a straw hat in the South of France, when you are there.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
St.Ignatz said:
The one I purchased fit nicely until the first sweat then it went from a 7 5/8 to a 7 3/8.

That's a great shame and most vexing. Mine has a neoprene type sweatband inside, so I guess without that, mine would have met the same fate and ended up in the bin. Never really gave that a thought when I purchased it :eusa_doh: .

I have to say I was unhappy with the band being there when I purchased it and have thought of taking it out but I think I will leave it in now in case this one also shrinks.

Actually, this thread has made me think of upgrading to a finer panama for social events but my cheapy will still have the service it was purchased for "cricket on the beach, kite flying, pond-dipping, paddeling and getting splashed by children, etc" and apologies for straying off thread.

back to advice
How about a tilly hat for the summer? great for keeping the sun and rain off if style is not important, although the airflow looks better for summer, have no experience of one of those. I have a T3 Khaki with olive underbrim, has served well while camping in the woods, canoe and sailing, kept the sun off while in Indonesia but the down side is it kept the heat in while trekking in Indonesian rainforests. It washes well, screws up into your pocket and is a good hat, it just lacks the kudos of my Akubra.

My Akubra Safari also does well but I would not take it into a rain-forest as the brim would catch on branches and I would not take it on a canoe!.

BUT as it's France how about "The Anglobasque Beret" lol.

020_donkey.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner