Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice : What hat am I looking for?

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
@Daniele Tanto : Yeh I often go on Chapellerie Tracklet and Chapeaushop but to be honest, you find more references on Amazon.fr with a 30-days free return policy...
I own a small Flechet hat by the way

@TheDane : well, probably unlike many people here, i dream of wearing only two or three hats a year. I often wear the same kind of clothes. ideally i'd love the exact same hat just made of a different materials. Hats that would last me for years and years. i'm tempted by leather because judging by my leather jacket, it's easy to apply a product once a year and it goes on forever should it rain or snow. Even a fur felt hat does not always react well to these conditions. My Akubra hampton, for instance, lost its shape.
The original idea of a "fedora traveller" with a short brim and a low crown was to have something rather neutral, not too dressy, not to fashionable, not to Crocodile-Dundee-like, not too Indiana Jonesques...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Any hat will need the right care to look good - felt, straw, cloth or leather. A well made felt hat will take a lot of bad weather without complaints. If you live in DK or UK, you definitely need a hat, that will take a lot of rain. The felt hat was very popular in both countries - probably because it's so resilient.

All my felt hats - vintage as customs - have been in numerous showers without any notable damage.

Even well made wool hats will take a lot of rain without damage. In the Alps hats have been made from wool for generations - and they are all worn in all kinds of weather.

But of course your hat must receive the right care. You can't get in from a shower and just throw it upon a nail in the wall :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Almost anything from by Stetson USA (HATCO) in their dress line for the last thirty years (e.g.- Stetson(s) Downs, Saxon, Nostalgia, Chatham, Saxon, Temple et al.). Everyone complains here about LAC syndrome (low-arssed-crown) in their contemporary Stetsons ('till Mr. Decker put thing right) and I can't help but believe there is someone here willing to part with something you like.
What size are you looking for? What size brim do you favor? Panama for summer or linen or canvas or synthetics considered too?

Eliesti

A-List Customer
OK I believe that I have found a model that might correspond to the initial description. it's made by Crambes in France
Glad you found a hat! On a side note, that hat looks a lot like the new Akubra Capello, although I don't know about the dimensions.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Yes, Akubra is tempting. I bought two previously. But we don't have much choice over here in France with this brand. The easiest way is to buy them from an Australian reseller... so you have to add $50 for the customs...
I should probably talk to them and setup a real Akubra business over here :)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
yes, but you don't get to see all models. They don't list the Akubra Hampton, which I had to buy from Australia. nor is listed that new Capello.
I know it's quite expensive. Polyester certainly is not noble but certainly more resilient that wool under rain

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
yes, there is, just not in the shape that I want...I already have one like this. i wanted one a bit more civilized and with a shorter brim

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Maybe you should check out German made Mayser. They still make some decent hats, and they also make the style I believe you're looking for - both in wool and fur felt. As Germany is part of the EU, you won't have to pay French customs or VAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo