Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice : What hat am I looking for?

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello, Ô hats gurus !

I'm currently looking for a traveler-shaped hat with a crown not too tall and a brim not too wide

By traveler i mean a sort of Fedora with the back side not bent upwards. At least I think that would be a traveler.

In fact , ideally I am looking for two hats of that shape, one for summer time (but no Panama) and one for winter made of wool or fur

I cant really get a clear idea of the dimensions on the Internet it seems i would prefer the crown to be equal or less than 10cm high

Anu idea where I should start looking?

Thank you very much much

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Hello, Ô hats gurus !

I'm currently looking for a traveler-shaped hat with a crown not too tall and a brim not too wide

By traveler i mean a sort of Fedora with the back side not bent upwards. At least I think that would be a traveler.

In fact , ideally I am looking for two hats of that shape, one for summer time (but no Panama) and one for winter made of wool or fur

I cant really get a clear idea of the dimensions on the Internet it seems i would prefer the crown to be equal or less than 10cm high

Anu idea where I should start looking?

Thank you very much much
I think most people on here will tell you that if you have a hat store near you the best thing to do is go to the hat store and take a look at what looks good on you by trying on different hats. Assuming you have no store nearby, from your description, you might heck out a couple of hats from Akubra:

Akubra Banjo Paterson
Akubra Leisure Time
Akubra Lawson

Be mindful that the Lawson has a longer brim than the other two.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your reply. I actually have an Akruba Hampton and a because it's probably one of their smallest hat, I fear ordering another one from them. I had the Federation IV as well and I found it huge.
I'm asking because of course i'll certainly go in a hat store but i would rather avoid spending two hours over there and annoy the sales person by having few models in mind to start with

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Prehaps if you could post a picture/link of the style/type of hat you're looking for, or at least give a better description, we may be able to offer more suggestions. 'Traveler hat' is rather vague & means different things to different people.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
OK so below are examples of hat shapes that I like (and which I call travelers)

Now to add more details, I basically want the brim to be a bit wider that the one of a traditional tribly but i do not necessarily want the crown to be much higher

As far as i understand, I do not want a traditional Fedora as i would prefer the back side to be either straight or slightly bent downward but not curled up (though it seems the first picture actually contradict that...)

I'm wondering if there is a specific hat brand which is kind of kwon for having smaller crowns than usual for instance. You now just a starting point, just to be sure i'm not missing any specific model

43982a.jpg

43939a.jpg

37087a.jpg

RJR

The brim you're looking for is an "outback",the examples you show look like center dent,loose pinch outbacks.
Hat-Vintage Stetson Stratoliner.jpg

This is an older Strat done that way.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you prefer a lower crown, you might take a look at Worth & Worth in New York, as they seem to specialize in lower crowns. Nice hats and some interesting colors but a bit pricey. For summer hats, you might consider non-Panama straws: take a look at Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth, Texas, where you can get a custom-made hemp for $150, or Sunbody Hats, much less expensive but very serviceable and rugged. I have both and am pleased with both their products and service.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
If you prefer a lower crown, you might take a look at Worth & Worth in New York, as they seem to specialize in lower crowns. Nice hats and some interesting colors but a bit pricey. For summer hats, you might consider non-Panama straws: take a look at Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth, Texas, where you can get a custom-made hemp for $150, or Sunbody Hats, much less expensive but very serviceable and rugged. I have both and am pleased with both their products and service.

Thanks for your advice. The hats of Worth & Worth are very nice indeed.
I like the Explorer model.
It's to bad it's quite expensive and probably very diffcult to get from France

How do you call this kind of hat by the way ? I can't quite find a name.

thanks again

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
No i thought the Fedora had the back side way more curled up and the front rather bent downwards

They are all Fedoras; however, there are different styles of Fedoras. That back brim can be snapped or shaped to go down just as well as up. RJR posted his Stratoliner above - definitely a Fedora - in just such a style, with the back brim down.

The W&W you posted a link to is a pretty common style of Fedora. It has a 2 5/8" (6.675 cm) brim and a 4" (~10 cm) creased crown; if you could open the crown up, it's probably about 5"-5 1/2" (~13-14 cm) high.

I personally think it's a pretty high price for a hat, but W&W reportedly makes some good products. Over here, you could get a nice custom hat for considerably less.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
No i thought the Fedora had the back side way more curled up and the front rather bent downwards

No that's wrong, Sir. A fedora can have absolutely flat brim - sometimes with a small "dip" in front (Foyle's War) - or the brim can be turned up or down all the way around - or it can be turned up in the sides and back, and then snapped down in the front.

Many of the all downturned brims you see actually were flanged with an upturned arch - and just turned down back and front.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

I know what you mean & to some extent I agree with you. A large array of hat styles fall under the term 'fedora' on this forum, from trilbys to safari hats. In my mind a fedora is a specific style but it is pointless getting bogged down in terminology. :D

You might find something you like on this site, http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100 which is just next door in Italy, there is eBay too of course.

Fedora = Late 19th Century American Marketing / Hype

Steve, if it's marketing hype, and not a category (of which I interpret the above list falls under), then what is a Stratoliner, Playboy, Alessandria, Stetsonian, Dallas, etc? How would you differentiate among the large group of various tapers, brim widths/flanges, crown heights, etc?

I thought Fedora was the genus, and the individual style was the species. If we are to rack and stack them, what do you suggest?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for your advice. The hats of Worth & Worth are very nice indeed.
I like the Explorer model.
It's to bad it's quite expensive and probably very diffcult to get from France

How do you call this kind of hat by the way ? I can't quite find a name.

thanks again
That is a very nice choice. I'm sure that if you email them they will be happy to answer any questions you might have about shipping, etc. The price is not that high when you compare it to, say, a Stetson, which is a far inferior product, or to one from a custom hatter. I understand that the quality of the felts they use and the workmanship are very high. Open-crown hats are the way to go, though, as they enable you to shape the crown any way you like, and for that you need at least a 5" crown. I think we've all noticed on this forum that when someone first becomes interested in hats they generally go for lower crowns and shorter brims, as they seem less ostentatious. Soon, however, they find out the limitations of those styles and move towards something like the Explorer. So, I think it would be a very good hat to get started with. In the long run, you'd be saving money because you wouldn't be wasting it on a hat that, in the very near future, you won't want to wear.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo