Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing, But Struggle to In Public

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wearing western style hats is not something that fits within the urban and suburban surroundings where I live. Those that do are looked upon with a mixture of compassion and pity, because you didn't make it to the line dance in time. Line dancing is something one should not confess to anyone being involved in anyway over here, lest they think you're not able to make any friends and are desperately trying anything now. Wearing a bowler or even a top hat will have people think you're eccentric, but not a total loser. A western (and line dancing) will get you there.
So this hat, fine as it is, will not be making an appearance in public especially not open crowned. I don't mind to be viewed as an eccentric nor the "where's your horse?" comments I get often enough with even ordinary fedoras. But I will not be linked with line dancing in any shape or form!

View attachment 541401 View attachment 541402 View attachment 541403

The back alley is as far as it goes.
So much potential right there with that hat!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Wearing western style hats is not something that fits within the urban and suburban surroundings where I live. Those that do are looked upon with a mixture of compassion and pity, because you didn't make it to the line dance in time. Line dancing is something one should not confess to anyone being involved in anyway over here, lest they think you're not able to make any friends and are desperately trying anything now. Wearing a bowler or even a top hat will have people think you're eccentric, but not a total loser. A western (and line dancing) will get you there.
So this hat, fine as it is, will not be making an appearance in public especially not open crowned. I don't mind to be viewed as an eccentric nor the "where's your horse?" comments I get often enough with even ordinary fedoras. But I will not be linked with line dancing in any shape or form!

Though some hats on some people look great with an open crown, it’s always amazed me how even a simple single crease can transform most hats into something far and away more….cool.
IMO from first photo to last you went from loser line dancer skulking around in back alleys—to Eastwood like celebrity status!

My ex-wife tried to get me to line dance with her, but soon found out that I can’t move my body parts around in sync to Boot Scootin without lookin like an imbecile. Fine with me.
Didn’t wanna be “that line dancin guy” anyway.
At least, that’s what I told myself after discovering another thing I ain’t good at.

Nice old hat, Stefan! What is it?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
There is, but I like it open crown, so I will keep it that way for a while.

Though some hats on some people look great with an open crown, it’s always amazed me how even a simple single crease can transform most hats into something far and away more….cool.
IMO from first photo to last you went from loser line dancer skulking around in back alleys—to Eastwood like celebrity status!

My ex-wife tried to get me to line dance with her, but soon found out that I can’t move my body parts around in sync to Boot Scootin without lookin like an imbecile. Fine with me.
Didn’t wanna be “that line dancin guy” anyway.
At least, that’s what I told myself after discovering another thing I ain’t good at.

Nice old hat, Stefan! What is it?
These two statements were being written and posted at the exact same time, Stefan.
Oh well. My opinion stands.

These two statements were being written and posted at the exact same time, Stefan.
Oh well. My opinion stands.
I absolutely see what you and Terry mean by this hat having potential. It does and properly creased it would be teetering on the edge of being "too much" and "just a nice big proportioned hat". I like it as an object with the open crown, not to wear it that way. I have a few homburgs like that; feels a shame to put a crease in it.
It's British made. I posted it here:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-great-british-hat-makers.66592/post-3031182

I’m kind of surprised that line dancing is a thing there…even if it’s not a “good” thing. I think the hat looks great land I look forward to seeing it shaped. I’ll send you a huge gaudy belt buckle to complete the look. :)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Just add some boots and spurs, Stefan!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

The first time I saw line dancing in person, and it was a sexy cowgirl doing it, I don’t mind saying that I was willing to try.

Cowgirls are hot, y’all - they can make me a line dancing fool and a two stepper to boot! ;)

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I absolutely see what you and Terry mean by this hat having potential. It does and properly creased it would be teetering on the edge of being "too much" and "just a nice big proportioned hat". I like it as an object with the open crown, not to wear it that way. I have a few homburgs like that; feels a shame to put a crease in it.
It's British made. I posted it here:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-great-british-hat-makers.66592/post-3031182
The hat and the wearer, together, make their own statement. Open Crown is just as good as any other way.

Attachments

• Dobbs-Homburg-2.jpg
    Dobbs-Homburg-2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 97

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 540908
I'm not a floppy hat wearer, nor am I comfortable in any kind of cap. Be it traditional flat cap or ball cap, I just cannot take to it. This Burberry hat was very expensive and a gift, fortunately Burberry accepted it back in an exchange.

Ah, yes.... I've seen more of these bucket hats around this last Summer - a lot of the kids seem to have embraced them as emblematic of the 1990s revivalist scene, though having been there at the time, my recollection is they died out very early on with the end of the 'baggy' scene around "Madchester" that predated Grunge going overground. Baggy style was nodded back to a *little* in some corners of Britpop, but only in a very limited manner in my experience. I was never a fan of bucket hats myself, I think I lived though too long a period when they were associated with dads letting themselves go on holiday.

I'm not sure that I have any hats right now that I'm wary of wearing out. The berets about fifteen years ago when I first had one I was I think initially a little elf-conscious about, but too few people remembered Frank Spencer by then for it to be that tedious. Got used to the A3 Mechanics' caps and the Daisy Mae a lot faster this year than I'd have previous assumed - though they do have their limits compared to an eight panel or similar. Perhaps strangely, I never had any qualms about being seen out in a boater, though you have to be wary in crowds, especially with hen parties and/or drunk ladies. They're bad with any had, that type - always want to grab it, treat it like some fancy dress prop (and many of them don't quite understand "no"), which is an issue with a boater, they being that much more fragile (and suddenly markedly more expensive since Olney shut down).

I am waiting for a black caubeen to arrive, for wearing with a Highland rig including a saffron yellow kilt to a wedding next month. That' will, perhaps, be an interesting one to step out in. The Glengarry has never particularly raised eyebrows worn with a tartan kilt, but I suspect there's much less awareness of both the saffron kilt and the caubeen. I'm also going to be wearing a saffron fly plaid, so I'll have to be careful. I'm fairly fearless having spent years taking the tube in full Frank'n'Furter drag and such. For the most part people in London don't even notice, which I love, but I can live without the tedium of the occasional smartass that thinks they're the first person to ask what's up my skirt.

Edward

Bartender
Yup. My late father:

View attachment 541749

I would SO wear that hat now.

I remember my dad wearing one in a similar shape in the eighties, though I have no photos of it. His was white with a small, zipped pocket on the side; I seem to recall it came free with tokens from Flora margarine. No idea where it went, though I can't honestly say I'd try wearing it now. I do like the polka dots on your dad's hat .though!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Being of a Buddhist persuasion and a semi-environmentalist (not to mention an admirer of the wild beaver), at one time I wanted to shift away from fur felt into something that doesn't require killing. I tried wool hats and Tilleys and cotton panel hats and a few other options but none of them made it out of the house. I have a small collection of non-furs now but I still only wear dead animals even when I'm sitting around indoors.

The only exception is my hiking hat, which is a Tilley - but I only wear it for long-distance hiking. I even prefer a leather driving cap to cotton or wool.

I don't guess this comment actually belongs to this thread but it's something I think about almost every single time I buy a fur felt. Not sure why Edward's comment made me think of it.

Here I am in a driving cap I picked up last time I was in Amsterdam. I wore it a few days around town and then finally left it for a fedora. It's in my closet patiently waiting for me to get back behind the wheel.

Long story longer: I guess the point is that despite personal ethics, I have a number of hats that just don't get worn because I don't want to waste the time I have been given on something that is not fur felt and a wide brim.

4C15CCB3-5BE6-4C8B-B5DA-219B58A561EA.jpeg

AndyR

One of the Regulars
View attachment 540908
I'm not a floppy hat wearer, nor am I comfortable in any kind of cap. Be it traditional flat cap or ball cap, I just cannot take to it. This Burberry hat was very expensive and a gift, fortunately Burberry accepted it back in an exchange.
You know, it's strange. while not my style either, I really love the look of this hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner