Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing, But Struggle to In Public

I was hoping to wear it to the polls, but it’s just too small. I would probably be accused of electioneering — by promoting a long-dead Senator who is not running. :rolleyes:

A nod to my late father’s politics (not necessarily mine). I guess I could flip up the brim to keep ‘em guessing.

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4543.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
I was hoping to wear it to the polls, but it’s just too small. I would probably be accused of electioneering — by promoting a long-dead Senator who is not running. :rolleyes:

A nod to my late father’s politics (not necessarily mine). I guess I could flip up the brim to keep ‘em guessing.

View attachment 547199

View attachment 547200
Looking good, Snufkin!
IMG_0848.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The first time I saw line dancing in person, and it was a sexy cowgirl doing it, I don’t mind saying that I was willing to try.
1696194387196.png

Line dancing? Been there, done that and at just about the most famous venue in the world. The Wildhorse Saloon in Nashville. The reserve in me just wouldn't allow a "Ye-Ha!"
It was back at the turn of the century, what a fabulous time Tina and I had. They had staff who mingled with the guests, one of which tried to get me to wear the ubiquitous ten gallon hat. Listen, if I can't even Ye-Ha, ain't no way I'm wearing a ten gallon hat!

TLW '90

Practically Family
This hat is a San Gino plainsman in roughout newbuck.
20231010_102843.jpg

My dad bought this hat back in '78 or so, he wore it home on leave that weekend and my grandfather made fun of his " pimp hat " so he just left it in the top of the closet in a hat case.

About 10 years ago he had me look it up for him assuming it would be valuable, but they were selling on EBAY for exactly what he payed new so he just gave it to me.

It's not particularly comfortable, but I'd work on that issue if I thought I could pull it off.
I wear it occasionally plinking in the backyard, but otherwise that's it.
The problem is it's a huge brimmed hat and I'm not Johnny paycheck, he's about the only man who could really get away with such a large brimmed hat in my opinion.
Hh_paycheck.jpg

This hat is a San Gino plainsman in roughout newbuck.
View attachment 551335
My dad bought this hat back in '78 or so, he wore it home on leave that weekend and my grandfather made fun of his " pimp hat " so he just left it in the top of the closet in a hat case.

About 10 years ago he had me look it up for him assuming it would be valuable, but they were selling on EBAY for exactly what he payed new so he just gave it to me.

It's not particularly comfortable, but I'd work on that issue if I thought I could pull it off.
I wear it occasionally plinking in the backyard, but otherwise that's it.
The problem is it's a huge brimmed hat and I'm not Johnny paycheck, he's about the only man who could really get away with such a large brimmed hat in my opinion.
View attachment 551336
Garret Dillahunt pulled it off well as Ed Miller in The Assassination of…….. The Miller family were planters so it’s possible that Ed & Clell wore just such hats. But there are no such pictures of them.

IMG_3844.jpeg

IMG_3845.jpeg

TLW '90

Practically Family
Garret Dillahunt pulled it off well as Ed Miller in The Assassination of…….. The Miller family were planters so it’s possible that Ed & Clell wore just such hats. But there are no such pictures of them.

View attachment 551351
View attachment 551350

View attachment 551351
View attachment 551350
In a 19th century context sure, I should have clarified that I was talking about a big 70's hat like this.

I've decided to try and stretch the hat and since it's a rough out I've begun the process of conditioning and waxing it so maybe it'll be useful to handle some rain.
I figured I can try to make some use of it or it's just going to sit around and go to waste unless I had cannibalized it for the leather which I didn't want to do.
It looks kind of rugged and mountain man-ish now which I like, so now it's just a matter of making it wearable and growing the confidence to wear it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 547199

View attachment 547200
In your heart you know he's right.

I can still remember watching those Goldwater political ads on TV (way back when). Pretty neat momento, Bob.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Or a black leather cross zip! View attachment 541300
Bowen.jpeg
Oh wow! Leather jacket royalty. Many years ago I went to a rather upmarket wedding, the father of the bride wasn't short of a shekel or two. A few of his closest friends, and me being the bride's Godfather, were all given hired morning suits with tails, and we all had matching top hats. It was pre-cell phone days, well not quite, but phones, mercifully, didn't have cameras back then, so the only evidence of me in a top hat is safely on celluloid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner