Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice with fur collar on leather jacket

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hello folks,
there's this dilemma that's not letting me sleep at night (just kidding), and I thought you loungers might be just the right people to get advice from.
I have a CHP police leather jacket made by San Diego Leather. The jacket is what they call their 'B type', with a straight main zipper and A2-style collar (by the way, I know the company usually gets a bad rep on TFL, but I can say I am very satisfied with it).
Anyway, the collar on the jacket is pretty ruined, and I am going to have SDL replace it. Since I am at it, I was going to have them install a mouton collar, since I no longer have a jacket with one.
But now I'm wondering if that's a good idea after all. Problem is, the jacket has collar snaps exactly the way an A2 does, snapping down near the zipper (while if a fur collared jacket has snaps for the collar, they are usually more spread out, close to the shoulders).
So, my options would be:
1- put snaps under the new fur collar, to be snapped down as if it wasn't fur (but I suspect that would look awkward)
2- do not put snaps under the collar, and perhaps remove the snaps on the jacket body too
3- have SDL (or someone else) make a removable collar (this is probably what makes more sense, but I generally dislike removable collars, liners etc., plus that would most likely be more expensive)

Thoughts, suggestions on said options or other ones?

PS - I found this youtube video about SDL that I thought was pretty interesting (despite the poor quality):

Last edited:
I'd just replace the collar and have a snap on shearling collar built for it. That gives you the versatility to have both options depending on the climate.

Edward

Bartender
I'm not a fan of the removable collars; in practice, they either need a serious numers of studs which looks odd when you wear them 'off', or the tend to ride up. (I'm considering one ofr my Schott 618 just because if I can find one cheap enough, but I'd never have one run up for any other jacket). I don't see a problem with having studs fitted on the underside of a mouton collar, if you want to be able to stud it down.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Here is a pic of my jacket, by the way:

9f3b7a7f-a160-4061-ab93-68b28b53781e_zpswgxwwlaq.jpg

You can see the snap underneath the collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran