Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need hat advice

Samson25

Familiar Face
I'm fairly certain that the brim on a Campdraft isn't quite as wide as the brim on the hat you're wearing in your current avatar photo, so I think you'll be okay. ;)
Thanks Zombie...The Stetson Traveller is around 2-1/2 and I do like it as an everyday beater. I get the most compliments when wearing it.
Avatar pic is a cheap sun hat/ on vacation.
My favorite right now is my Stylemaster in Carbon (2-3/8).
Since I made the switch to real hats at the tender age of 57, my collection is just modern stuff- no vintage, custom...Yet.
I am totally blown away by what I have seen other members post here with regards to their passion for hats. Thanks to all for the excellent information and pictures!

...Since I made the switch to real hats at the tender age of 57, my collection is just modern stuff- no vintage, custom...Yet...
I started with my first real hat at the age of 47, and a few years later had a ridiculously tiny amount of skin cancer carved off of my nose so hats became my choice for sun protection because I never liked that greasy oil slick feeling of sunscreens. I have two or three hats of undetermined age, but I don't think they're old enough to be considered vintage. So mine are all modern as well, mostly Akubras 'cause I think they're great value for the price. And I agree--the hat collections of some of the members here are both inspirational and aspirational...if only I had the budget.

Samson25

Familiar Face
Yo Zombie, while lurking a while back, I did see pictures of you sporting a Campdraft in differnt light settings. Really liked seeing the a CD pics- colors side by side.
Those pics helped Me decide on a BGCD actually.
I'm Rockin it like you are. Long hair and with more grey in the beard.
I do love my Stylemaster and so have high hopes for my BGCD which is on the way to Me right now. Hoping it changes colors - gray/ Greenish in different light.
Don't have money to burn, but this hat thing?
This could get expensive.

Yo Zombie, while lurking a while back, I did see pictures of you sporting a Campdraft in differnt light settings. Really liked seeing the a CD pics- colors side by side.
Those pics helped Me decide on a BGCD actually.
I'm Rockin it like you are. Long hair and with more grey in the beard...
My beard is still grey, but the hair is now quite a lot shorter. Long story, but a job came and went since those photos were taken so the hair was sacrificed for a temporary boost in income. Now I've gotten used to the lower maintenance, so I'm keeping it short. *shrug*

I'm not sure which Campdraft photos you're referring to, 'cause I've posted a few different ones depending on the subject matter of the threads I've taken them for. The Campdraft is a great hat if for no other reason than it keeps the rain and snow off of your head during those pesky winter months. I keep going back and forth between the Taupe Fawn and the Bluegrass Green trying to decide which color I like better. The Bluegrass usually wins out simply because I think it's a great color. But then there's something about that Taupe Fawn...

...I do love my Stylemaster and so have high hopes for my BGCD which is on the way to Me right now. Hoping it changes colors - gray/ Greenish in different light...
I can't really say mine has ever looked grey except in an occasional photo; in most lighting it's definitely green, but sometimes has just a hint of blue. It's not an exact match to my olive drab M-65 field jacket, but on those rare occasions when we actually get a measurable amount of rain in this part of California the combination is my go-to rain gear and the colors are close enough.

ProfCharles

New in Town
Hey y’all,

So I’m looking for my next lid, and would like something in a dark brown hue, but with a cold, reddish undertone, instead of an earthy undertone, almost maroon or mahogany.

I’d rather not go the custom route. I’ve been eyeing the Stratoliner in Cordova but don’t have any way to see it in person. Anyone know of where I can get something similar but in my desired color?

many thanks

Hey y’all,

So I’m looking for my next lid, and would like something in a dark brown hue, but with a cold, reddish undertone, instead of an earthy undertone, almost maroon or mahogany.

I’d rather not go the custom route. I’ve been eyeing the Stratoliner in Cordova but don’t have any way to see it in person. Anyone know of where I can get something similar but in my desired color?

many thanks
I have a Stetsonian in what Stetson calls "mink". It is a nice rich brown perhaps they offer it in other models.

Akubra Federation IV in Dark Brown:

v79sxft.jpg

Exclusive to Hats Direct/The Hattery, they're sold out of some sizes at the moment but if you're interested it can't hurt to contact them to see how long it might take for Akubra to make you a hat.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
stratoliner.jpg

The maroon/brown mix you mention lends itself to the Strat. The one that I have been coveting needs justification to part with the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ