Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help and info on purchasing a Flange

hatsandcanes

Familiar Face
Hello loungers,
I am having a flange made since all the money I have spent on vintage ones have come up short.
I wear a size 59 long oval and want the flange to touch up the occasional brim. I will be using it with the ribbon and bow still on the hat. Do you think the inside measurement of around 65cm would be about right? Or bigger? Smaller?
Thank you for your input,
Randy

Hello loungers,
I am having a flange made since all the money I have spent on vintage ones have come up short.
I wear a size 59 long oval and want the flange to touch up the occasional brim. I will be using it with the ribbon and bow still on the hat. Do you think the inside measurement of around 65cm would be about right? Or bigger? Smaller?
Thank you for your input,
Randy
I assume you will be using a block that measures 59cm? I just bought a set of long oval blocks to match my long oval vintage flanges. The block maker advised that he makes the flange openings on his flanges 5mm wider (not 5 cm) to accommodate the thickness of the felt. My vintage flanges all have the cut out on the bow side to accommodate the ribbon/bow. I would discuss with Randal to get his input. I measured a selection of my raw felts and they ranged from 1.5mm to 2.5mm in thickness.

hatsandcanes

Familiar Face
TH
I assume you will be using a block that measures 59cm? I just bought a set of long oval blocks to match my long oval vintage flanges. The block maker advised that he makes the flange openings on his flanges 5mm wider (not 5 cm) to accommodate the thickness of the felt. My vintage flanges all have the cut out on the bow side to accommodate the ribbon/bow. I would discuss with Randal to get his input. I measured a selection of my raw felts and they ranged from 1.5mm to 2.5mm in thickness.
Thank you BB!

I plan to get a block that I can use with the sweatband still in the hat. Should I downsize 1 or 2?
Thank you
I have better luck working in Centimetres. I am a 59cm dead on, slightly long oval and sew my sweats a touch bigger at 59.3 to 59.5cm. I use a 60cm LO block on raw felt and a 59cm for hats that have the sweat installed. I have so much better success when I remove the leather sweat and start from scratch. I am just not very good at wrestling with a hat with the leather sweat installed. I tried one yesterday with the sweat install, wasn't careful enough and the leather sweat took a shot of steam. It curled up like a slug hit with salt. So now I got my wish and I have torn the hat down....just have to use up a good sweat when I did not want to!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB