Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help choosing my first leather jacket

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
If I lived in SF, I would walk down to Johnson Leathers, talk to Alan, tell him I want a slim-fitting half-belt, have him try me on a few sizes, show me a dozen different leathers, make the decisions and call it a day. He will get you a jacket fitting exactly as you ask him for, he will do any modification and detail options you ask for and you have the big advantage of direct communication.

If you go with Aero, I would recommend the 1930s Half-Belt, it is very tapered down towards the waist and should work well on a lean body with a massive chest to waist drop as yours.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Great advice here! Noything like buying a locally produced product. Try Langlitz in Portland if you want an alternative. :)

Edward

Bartender
You mention Jimmy Dean and Bogie... Got any specific photos of them, or others, in leathers that would give us an idea of the styles you see yourself in?

Poul

Familiar Face
Well I know that the topic was already but I would like to buy new leather jacket.
Well I have a dilemma what size to take. I heard that SB Detroit
it has a highly tailored arm and in general cut slimmer sleeves so there is no risk that are baggy
But what about Johnson leather M200 type.
I have to admit that interested me very much so
What do you think if this jacket also has high armhole cut and in general are slimmer?
Well my dimmensions in inches: chest 35.4 Full circumference Waist 31.4 same thing shoulders 16.5 My height is 5'4'' weight 120lb.So as you can see I am not Schwartzenegger
Gentlemen what do you think any experiences advice for me?And I am really confused what size is right for me 34 or maybe 36 or 38
On SB website there is a possible choice of leather Clayton veg tanned horsehide vintage brown looks good I gues.What about Johnsons well website is modest Top grain naked cowhide Dark Brown
looks good too.
But the sizing is key thing any advice
I worry that something may be wrong and I don't want waste of my money the more that I'm not rich. I live in Poland.
Johnson leather based in SF so the shipping costs is much higher than SB but the price of M200 jacket is lower than Detroit
Any advice

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Poul, I own a Johnson Leather M-200L, which is a longer version of the M-200. This jacket does not have high armholes, nor does it have tight sleeves. It is a very comfortable jacket to wear but it might not be what you are looking for if you are after a trim fit.
Regarding size, I recommend that you call or email both Johnson Leathers and SB. Both companies have a lot of experience fitting customers who are thousands of miles away. Good luck with the hunt, and keep us posted.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
If ordering from the US you also have to account for VAT and customs which will add another 15 % (I think, someone else might know for certain) on the price of the jacket.
Would probably be better to order from a company in the EU.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Poul

Familiar Face
I have a question I mean SB company whether is it worth I mean quality and durablility about this jacket?

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Thanks for the tip. The Long Half Belt does look good, but I'm more interested in a shorter, cropped jacket like they wore in the 30s.
IMHO you cannot do better than an Aero 30's HB.The one pictured is in heavy steer.

Attachments

• 88564f17f3d3cb8_s3118-500.jpg
    88564f17f3d3cb8_s3118-500.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 212

HPA Rep

Vendor
Hello everyone,

I want to buy my first leather jacket and need some help. I currently am 43 years old, and mostly wear vintage clothes from the 1930s and 40s or new clothing that is vintage inspired. I wear high waisted and pleated trousers, henleys, Alden bluchers, scarves, and own several fedoras. I am also covered in tattoos. I wanted to give you all that information, because you'll need it if you're going to give me guidance in the area of leather jackets. I want to buy a new leather jacket that will go with my look. I love vintage leather jackets, but none of them ever fit me, because I am skinny, awkward with long arms, etc. It seems like vintage clothes in general are made for shorter and stocky men.

Currently, I'm looking at Aero and Simmons Bilt. The Aero Halfbelt and Highwayman, and the Simons Belt 4 pocket Roadster.

I have no experience with either of these brands. Can someone give me advice. I also need help with sizing. I am 6 feet tall, have 18.5 inch shoulders, 26 inch arms, a 30inch waist, and a 40 inch chest. Basically a swimmers body with wide shoulders and narrow waist. I was a competitive swimmer for 12 years, and because of that, it's hard to find clothes that fit me well. I want a leather jacket that will make me look like Bogart or James Dean. Never mind that I more resemble Woody Allen. LOL.

Greetings, Victor!

Your body measures make you sound like a stretched version of me, so I thought I'd try to help and offer a style no one else has yet suggested. The fact you say you want something short really rang my bell since this is indeed made intentionally as a short, nippy design, though long fittings are available and in stock.

Please refer to some of the page links below from postings I made here in the past regarding the ELMC Californian half-belt jacket, where you can also follow membership commentary:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...tory-preservation-associates-exclusive.82009/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ciates-official-affiliate-thread.75818/page-9

Below are pages from our website where all three colors can be viewed in detail:

https://www.historypreservation.com...-vintage-style-half-belt-jacket-havana-brown/

https://www.historypreservation.com...fornian-vintage-style-half-belt-jacket-black/

https://www.historypreservation.com...ntage-style-half-belt-jacket-american-walnut/

Many customers do go up a size in their style, though I wear a size 40 with a 40" chest measure; whether you'd want a 40 or 42 or a regular or a long is to be determined. Please let me know if this style interests you and/or if you have any questions. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24