Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help identifying man in old photo

kpreed

One of the Regulars
Many clients of mine have photos of friends and people that worked/helped Summers or etc. on the ranch or farm, they are mixed in with old family photos very often. I know this from one client who still lived on the family farm and the family had another photo with the guy (farm hand) ID'ed from a another farm near them. My photo software shows a good amount on your photo matches or a near match, so with that I say with 76% score, (never had a 100% yet) it may be the same lady as the others.
P.S. I have seen unprotected Tintypes also get real dark or faded, so store them and any photos for that mater, in a safe, dark and dry place. if you want to frame any, scan and make a print and frame the copy. Photos hate light. (scanner light tends to be real fast)

Last edited:

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
The thing that strikes me about the second woman is her eyes; the picture is clear and her eyes look rather dark. In the last two photos you can tell, without a second glance, that the women have very light colored eyes. It could just be the lighting, of course.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many clients of mine have photos of friends and people that worked/helped Summers or etc. on the ranch or farm, they are mixed in with old family photos very often. I know this from one client who still lived on the family farm and the family had another photo with the guy (farm hand) ID'ed from a another farm near them. My photo software shows a good amount on your photo matches or a near match, so with that I say with 76% score, (never had a 100% yet) it may be the same lady as the others.

Thank you so much. I'd wondered about the "unknown lady" ever since I got the pictures from my great aunt's house. When, quite by chance, I happened to look at it along side a known picture of my great grandmother at a younger age I was shocked to think it could be the same person.

Obviously, I never knew my great grandmother personally (she died in 1928), but growing up I heard enough about "Grandma Brown" from my grandmother and aunts that I felt I did know her. My "knowledge" of her was as an older woman who was a strict Baptist (kind of like grandma Walton of "The Waltons" TV show of the 1970's). Needles to say I was surprised to see this picture that I now can say with great certainty is my great grandmother when she was around 25 or 26 years old.

Here is the entire photo.

DSC06517.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm dragging up this old thread from the past because it was so helpful to me in identifying some family members in old photos. Well, I have another old photo that I need help with.

The photo below is a tintype and was taken in Polk County, NC (a rural western NC county). The photographer was W.F.T
Brown, a distant relative of mine. I believe the older man in the photo is one of my direct ancestors (and the younger man is most likely his son).

What I need to know to tie it all together and say with certainty who the older man is, is the approximate date of the photo. I know if it were taken after a certain date it cannot be who I suspect.

Based on the clothing and style/type of photo, what date range would you give this old photo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch