Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help... vintage langlitz

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Gents,

Just got this baby of the Bay. Fits great. One major issue, I asked the seller if thee were any cigarette or other smells and they let me know it only smelled like a leather jacket and nothing weird. Well... that ain't even close to accurate. This thing literally smells like a combination of cat urine, cigarettes, and mustiness. I am hoping I can remedy that, because I literally tried it on for 2 min and now I smell like those things. I will not be able to ever wear this baby unless I can neutralize those smells. Welcome ideas from the pros. the more detail the better please.

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
IMG_5795.jpg

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Would also appreciate anything you fellas may be able to share re. likely age, etc. It has all the pockets inside, including the armpit stash pocket. Talon wrist and chest zips, Covill main zip, looks like Ykk for the hand pockets

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Thanks, I called Langlitz and they were very helpful with recommendations as well. I have washed it once and am getting ready to wash it again. I think I'll air dry it after the second wash and see how it goes. The first wash made a big difference, but smells are still there. Now that I've had all the pockets turned inside out and can really inspect the jacket, it is in really great shape overall, but this was no closet queen. Every single pocket is going to need some patching. 2 of the pockets already had patches in them. leather looks fantastic though so far.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Thanks, I called Langlitz and they were very helpful with recommendations as well. I have washed it once and am getting ready to wash it again. I think I'll air dry it after the second wash and see how it goes. The first wash made a big difference, but smells are still there. Now that I've had all the pockets turned inside out and can really inspect the jacket, it is in really great shape overall, but this was no closet queen. Every single pocket is going to need some patching. 2 of the pockets already had patches in them. leather looks fantastic though so far.
Tobacco is a very stubborn smell. Try some vinegar / water - spray or sponge it on

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
2 washes done, long soaks and double rinse… now hanging outside to dry. Not sure it is cigarette smoke, but still notice a musty smell up close. Guess I’m going to let it dry and see how it ends up. Will apply some leather conditioner once completely dry, Not sure what else to do.

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Seems like those stories told - about initiations and the nasty things folks did to each other’s jackets and vests, back when I was riding with a rougher crowd… may be true afterall. Ughh

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Quick update for those who may be interested, I forgot that I have an Ozone generator that I use for hunting clothing to eliminate odors. It came with a garment bag enclosure that you can hang hunting clothes in and run a 20 min. cycle to eliminate odors. After the jacket sat out side all day today and dried in the fresh air, it still had that old wet ashtray smell, nowhere near as strong as initially, but still there. I hung that jacket in the Ozone bag and ran it through a 20 min cycle and then turned it inside out and ran it again - you would not believe how effective that was with eliminating the odor. highly recommend this approach for those with odors in a jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112