Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help. Where can I get a button properly reattached to leather jacket.

Colin G

One Too Many
I need some help and want to find out where I can send a jacket to get a button reattached. I caught one of the cuff buttons of a Rainbow Country jacket on the edge of my car door and it pretty much tore it off the jacket. The thread did not pull through the leather at all but the button shank winding is finished.

I called around here locally and throughout Canada to various self proclaimed leather jacket repair places and no one seems to know how to properly sew a button back on. From what I understand you need a button shank winding machine and when I mentioned that no one knew what I was talking about. I even called Himmel Brothers who has such a machine, but they refused to help me out and don't do repairs. I think most of these places think its probably just like sewing one back on a shirt and don't understand that a wound shank is needed.

Before I start calling around in the USA now, can anyone point me toward someone who can repair this? I will try calling Johnson Leathers next but I'm running out of ideas. I want this button and probably one on another jacket, to be sewed back on properly using the correct method and machinery.

Thanks to any who respond.

Colin G

One Too Many
thumbnail_IMG_1873.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1874.jpg

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks Mike. I wondered if it must be possible to be done by hand so that is good to know.

The thing is, when I explain that a shank needs to be wound like a post, under the button, most have no idea what I'm talking about and have no clue how to do that. I'll still have to send the jacket somewhere but hopefully somewhere close to me here in Canada. I don't want to try this myself because I don't want to mess anything up. I can do many things but sewing isn't one of them. My mother in law makes dresses and is a great seamstress and even she won't touch it in fear of botching it, but she knows how picky I am.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I need some help and want to find out where I can send a jacket to get a button reattached. I caught one of the cuff buttons of a Rainbow Country jacket on the edge of my car door and it pretty much tore it off the jacket. The thread did not pull through the leather at all but the button shank winding is finished.

I called around here locally and throughout Canada to various self proclaimed leather jacket repair places and no one seems to know how to properly sew a button back on. From what I understand you need a button shank winding machine and when I mentioned that no one knew what I was talking about. I even called Himmel Brothers who has such a machine, but they refused to help me out and don't do repairs. I think most of these places think its probably just like sewing one back on a shirt and don't understand that a wound shank is needed.

Before I start calling around in the USA now, can anyone point me toward someone who can repair this? I will try calling Johnson Leathers next but I'm running out of ideas. I want this button and probably one on another jacket, to be sewed back on properly using the correct method and machinery.

Thanks to any who respond.
Arrow leather cleaning can do it !

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
No machine needed, simply a needle and thread.
Sew the button on as you normally would but not to close the the leather, it will seem slack but once you have a few passes through leather and button you then wrap around the "shank" which tightens everting up and leaves you with a stalk. It's am easy job that I'm very surprised you are struggling to find someone to do it.
All buttons at Aero are hand sewn with no machine.

They're full of crap and are lying to you because it's not a worthwhile repair for them & for some reason, they don't want to flat out refuse you.
As others have stated, it's a super simple job which you can do more easily & quickly than with any machine. Plenty of tutorials on Youtube, too, which I would recommend as you might not know how to secure the ends intuitively but once you learn, it's a piece of cake. Waste of time and money sending it anywhere.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
A lot of these buttons are sewn with no backing button and just melted thread ends. The melted stub gets a bit scratchy especially for watch wearer. It would be best if a small piece of leather or a soft button is used as a backing on the other side, or small felt piece. All single operator small dry cleaners can do this job for you for free if you're a regular dry cleaning customer. Except a lot of them has closed their shops in the recent years. Two of them closed on me, one near my home and one near my office. Time has changed. Dry cleaning cost a lot more now but they pick up and deliver... Progress they say...

Colin G

One Too Many
I called an old school furrier/tailer here and they don't repair leather anymore and did not want to do it.

Is there a specific needle size and thread gauge and type I need? I am unsure if the local fabric shop has what I would need.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I called an old school furrier/tailer here and they don't repair leather anymore and did not want to do it.

Is there a specific needle size and thread gauge and type I need? I am unsure if the local fabric shop has what I would need.
As Canuck has said regular needles will work as you can just use existing holes ( you said that they hadn't torn through) . Gutterman thread is a good thread and what we use here.
To gain confidence why not do a few practice buttons on a scrap of leather or heavy cloth before attemping on your jacket. But really don't be intimidated by it.

Colin G

One Too Many
As Canuck has said regular needles will work as you can just use existing holes ( you said that they hadn't torn through) . Gutterman thread is a good thread and what we use here.
To gain confidence why not do a few practice buttons on a scrap of leather or heavy cloth before attempting on your jacket. But really don't be intimidated by it.
Great idea. I have some hide samples from Aero I can use to practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner