Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some assistance here -- Good Walking shoes -- really good ones!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Other than the Mephisto "Match" my other walking shoe is the Allen Edmonds "Wilbert" that comes in brown and black colors and sizes 6-14 and widths AAA through EEE. Poron insoles and rubber outer soles with shock absorbers in the outer soles. Padding on the sides. Can be re-soled at the factory. I have both a brown and black, both in 13 AA. I'm wearing by brown Wilbert today.

Last edited:

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Perhaps this has already been said, but the key to long term comfort is 'fit.' If your shoes fit extremely well, even leather soled balmorals will be comfortable all day (in my experience). That said, walking long distances creates different challenges and many of the recommendations already address this. Mephistos are universally ugly, but they are very comfortable. However, I suspect well fitting suede shoes with rubber soles will be equally comfortable and can be acquired at a much lower price point. Mephisto has a great resoling program, however, so there is value in that.

Wconly

Familiar Face
Not vintage in any way but possibly the most comfortable walking boot I've ever had on my feet. Caterpillar Depict - the orthotic footbed is heaven! Best thing is, they are all over eBay at very discounted prices.

http://www.catfootwear.com/UK/en-gb/Product.mvc.aspx/22941M/50707/Mens/Depict-Hi

Hey! I like these! Are these (and from what you describe, I'm sure they are -- but got to ask) truly good on arches? What about water proofing? Thanks. I really like these! W>

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hey! I like these! Are these (and from what you describe, I'm sure they are -- but got to ask) truly good on arches? What about water proofing? Thanks. I really like these! W>

They are very good on arches, and the whole boot is flexible. I have a standard brown leather and a suede pair and have worn them in heavy rain without a problem. They do come up a bit big so I size down 1/2 a size, usually I'm a UK 10.5 but the UK 10 (USA 11, EUR 44) are perfect.

Edward

Bartender
My Iron Rangers, after break-in, are among the most comfortable 'all-day' shoes I own, though you might find them heavy if you don't want boots(I like the ankle support if I'm going to be on my feet all day). In warmer weather, I find a nice pair of rubber-soled saddle shoes very comfortable (though I prediminantly favour leather) - mine are Florsheim.

Years ago, I wore Camper brand shoes all the time, in all weathers and conditions. They were a sort of cross between a leather shoe and a trainer, almost. I'm not sure if they still do them. I wore mine for about six years, all over the world, including on a tour of China for two and a half weeks, on which trip they were my only shoes, and they went everywhere, including up the Great Wall. I later passed them on to my dad, who still wears them. I'm not sure what their offerings are like now, but they were certainly very comfortable from the off back then.

For a training shoe, I hear great things about PF Flyer ('PF' stands for "Posture Foundation"), but I've never owned any, so can't comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80