Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Suggestions for Fleece Jacket

South

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for a fleece jacket to wear under a leather jacket. Probably something with ribbing on the cuffs and waist, since the leather jacket doesn't have that.

I saw a picture of one I liked on here. Someone had posted a picture of theirs' that they wear under a leather jacket.

Any suggestions on manufacturers and sources?

Thanks.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
My opinion, for what it's worth, a fleece jacket under leather wouldn't be your best option. Personally, I'd go for a wool sweater.

NH

Jeff1970

New in Town
South,

I am still searching for that elusive perfect leather jacket, but I often layer a fleece garment under various jackets. In that role, I also like the ribbed wrists and waist. That can be hard to find on a fleece jacket, so I use the fleece liner that came with my 1st Gear Kilimanjaro motorcycle jacket. It seems to be perfect in the role, and gives me about 20-25 degree (F) extra range. Dries much faster than wool, too.

I don't know if 1st Gear dealers sell the liner separately, but I think a bike jacket liner in general would suit you better than a full jacket. Also, liners are easy to find to a subdued color that would not look garish with the leather while technical fleece jackets are made brightly colored for a reason.

Happy hunting,
Jeff

number6

Familiar Face
Fleece Jacket

Nighthawk said:
My opinion, for what it's worth, a fleece jacket under leather wouldn't be your best option. Personally, I'd go for a wool sweater.

NH

+1

Paul.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Fleece is a common answer to the leather jacket problem of them not being warm enough. I personally wear a black woolen cardigan in a fine knit. You don't see it under the jacket unless it's done up and it's pretty warm. Just look through thrift shops or older style menswear shops. I'm talking about the kind of cardigan you can wear under a suit coat in winter (as was popular decades ago). Heavy but a tight/fine knit so its not bulky at all.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
I second the wool cardigan suggestion. I typically wear a thin merino wool zip cardigan under leather in cooler weather. Works like a charm. Banana Republic had some good ones a couple years ago (that's where I got mine), but their line changes every season so there's no telling if they have anything comparable these days.

Peacoat

Bartender
I, too, wear a wool sweater under the leather jacket. I have also found that a vest works well. Woolrich makes a zip up vest that is a V neck (the vintage type) that fits nicely and isn't noticeable under a jacket. It has a wool shell and Thinsulate type fleece on the inside. Quite warm and not bulky.

gfirob

Familiar Face
Under leather

I like to wear a Patagonia fleece vest. Less constricting than a sweater, although I have a Patgonia Merino wool sweater (thin but very warm) that does the job as well. You see both on ebay pretty regularly.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
HighandDry said:
I wear an ibex light wool coat http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1342/3336/mens-vertigo-jacket.

It's a very nice wool and works as a great light jacket alone. It's pretty pricey now, but you can usually get it 30-40% off during their sale at the end of winter.

Finally, somebody besides me knows about Ibex.
Ibex merino wool jerseys are the only thing I'll wear while mountain biking. And I also own a boiled wool jacket like you do.
Very stylish, rugged, and versatile.
I'll have to see if it fits under my Highwayman when I get it.
If not, I'll use my Shak: http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1315/46938/mens-shak-jersey

616_6300.jpg

Otherwise, I use my Filson wool vest.
Lenny

pFILSON1-2230612dt.jpg

I have a micro-fleece pullover & vest from REI that I wear under lots of different coats & jackets, even blazers then I go up to a fleece vest from Cabelas under my motorcycle jacket when the temp dips even more. I also have a full fleece jacket from REI that I wear under my Carhart barn coat or even vest depending on the type of cold weather. I do have a wool vest & cardigan that I wear under leather jackets as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes