Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW A-2 Bomber Jacket Where To Buy?

Rnmusik

New in Town
I am interested in buying as authentic an A-2 bomber jacket as I can get for $280-350 first is that possible for that price range? I am so confused where to buy the real deal there are so many makers etc. Please can someone steer me right? Any opinions on Flightjacket.com? or USwings.com ? HELP? :)

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
To be honest you will not get much for that. A reasonably budget priced A-2 can sometimes be had from Aero Leather Clothing in Scotland but you will pay shipping and duty on that.

Eastman and Aero are the higher end repros. I have seen Flight suits A2s and they are pretty good for the money but will be more than your budget.

A good condition Eastman can be had for around 220 to 250 GB Pounds secondhand so this will give you some idea

Try ebay.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you want a current-spec A-2 (baggy fit, synthetic lining and knits, V-shaped pocket flaps), US Wings and a bunch of equivalent US dealers (Legendary USA, American Mystique) are okay choices. At the moment, US Wings has their standard jackets sale-priced at $215, which is pretty reasonable for a decent modern-style A-2.

A slightly better version of the current jacket is available from FlightSuits (aka Gibson&Barnes). And they have a clearance sale page that's worth checking out.

US Authentic's goatskin jacket is in your price range ($315), but is a different animal: a reasonable attempt at replicating a WWII-era A-2 at a low price. These feature cotton linings, wool knits, collar-stand construction, curved pocket flaps, and are cut more along the lines of the old-time jackets. (Actually, US A's cut is trim but longish.)

The premium repro makers are pretty much out of your price range, though sometimes a real bargain will show up on Aero's sales pages, and exchange rates are pretty good - so it's worth taking a look.

There's a vast amount of info on A-2 jackets here, with all kinds of opinions - do a search in the Outerwear forum and you'll find plenty to chew on...

Rnmusik

New in Town
Other questions

Hoe many of the original WW II jackets were horse hide and Goat hide? does this matter ? is one better as far as durability and keeping shape over time?
Thanks so much!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Most were horse, but a notable fraction were goat. Some people claim that there were also some cowhide A-2s, but this is an ongoing debate. In any case, it was never an approved hide per the Army specs.

Goatskin is very supple and flexible but extremely tough, which is why Navy flight jackets have always been made from it. Horsehide is now prohibitively expensive (it wasn't when tractors, cars, and trucks were obsoleting horses in the 1930s), but it's a unique-feeling leather and nearly a must-have if you want an accurate reproduction A-2.

Both hides will last a really long time. Horse will develop more creasing and wrinkles (i.e., "character") faster; goat takes a long time to show any wear. (But this is a generalization: keep in mind that the original hide quality and thickness, and tanning/coloring methods, vary greatly for any given leather.)

I've got both kinds. You'll find that many folks interested in these jackets have both kinds. For your first (and likely not your last!) A-2, goatskin is probably a good choice.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I concur with the good Doc. Check out US Authentic, whose owner/CEO/head-phone-answerer is a good guy. The goat is really tough, and USA manages to convey a good bit of authenticity for the price.

Be warned, though: Few people acquire just one A-2.

Burnsie

SamReu said:
I concur with the good Doc. Check out US Authentic, whose owner/CEO/head-phone-answerer is a good guy. The goat is really tough, and USA manages to convey a good bit of authenticity for the price.

Be warned, though: Few people acquire just one A-2.

Adding to the chorus: US Authentic is as good as they get in your stated price range.
Adding to the warning: After a year of wearing the US A you will up the ante and buy the first of several high end premium repros...beware!!!!

Rnmusik

New in Town
A-2 Purchase

Guys I purchased the A-2 Goatskin today from US Authentic's Owner. I did it all through e mail however. I had some problems using the US Authentic website so he handled it for me through e mail and was very nice about everything. I can’t wait until I get the jacket I am very excited. Thank you all for your kind help and suggestions especially Doctor Strange.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Hope you have longer arms and torso than a regular size because, as stated, US A jackets are longer than normal by several inches. Good luck.

Ray

Rnmusik

New in Town
Response for Ray

Ray I am 6'5" tall with at least a 38 sleeve in shirts. My torso is very long so it should fit perfect. I sent my measurements to the US Authentic folks and they suggested a size 48T . If it does not fit right I will return it. Thanks for the warning.
Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR