Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero A2 Jacket - keep or return?

MattJacket

New in Town
Hi all,

I've been searching for a decent leather jacket for most of my adult life - I'm almost 38!

Not a big problem for 99% of men but I'm the size of a child so a massive problem for me. After wasting several hundred pounds on various secondhand and low end jackets, I took a chance and ordered a new kid's Aero A2 in seal jerky horsehide.

It's just arrived so forgive me for throwing it over a dodgy t shirt and my school trousers for the obligatory photographs.

I know it doesn't fit me as it should with it's tunnelled sleeves, baggy back and the neck clasp thingy that doesn't do up.

This jacket would cost around £550 in an adult size but it's only £190 in this diminutive version. I certainly can't afford a made to measure jacket so I guess the questions are given my situation, am I going to get any better? Is the fit passable or is it another non starter?

Honest answers welcome but please be kind!

Cheers,

Matt

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
If you look up old pictures of actual WWII soldiers wearing their A2s, you'll find that there was no right or wrong with the fit back then, they wore them tight, they wore them baggy, they wore them long, they wore them short. It didn't matter, it was a piece of equipment and they had more troubling issues to deal with. Today and especially in this forum, people prefer the snug A2 fit, but that's just how most like it best and find it most comfortable.

That being said, this jacket is baggy and wide in the shoulders but I think it looks amazing and I would happily wear a similarily fitting jacket. I am a fan of baggy flight and bomber jackets, though, so my opinion may be different than the vast majority here.

I strongly believe the only thing that matters in the end is whether or not you feel comfortable in it. If you are, you'll wear it accordingly, if you are in doubt, people will see that too. On these pictures, to me, you look pretty happy with the jacket on.

What leather is this by the way? It looks phenomenal. Edit: seal jerky horsehide. My bad, didn't read properly.

Mark

Practically Family
I don't own an A2 but i can see this is way too big for you in pretty much every area. Have you considered asking Aero if they can make you a jacket to your particular measurements, a one off so to speak. May cost you a little more (assuming they are willing to do it) but worth it in the end. Or look at another model that is slimmer in fit such as a bike jacket.

Just to add though, if you are happy with it then thats all that matters. Perhaps it will fit better when the leather has relaxed a bit.

Bushwalker

New in Town
Hi Matt, in my humble opinion, the shoulder width is good. And the body length is spot on.

Though the chest seems to be slightly on the baggy side when zipped up, you can just wear a sweater or shirt beneath the jacket to fill it up.

And since this is a jerky horsehide jacket, you can expect the sleeves to be shortened by 0.5" to 1" as it creased up. Yes it is on the long side, but it is acceptable even when new in my eyes. The tunnelling isn't that heavy and unbearable.

And just try to unbutton the collar. It may look better that way. And if you can't zip all the way up to hook it up, this may mean your jacket is already on the small side. Sizing down isn't a good idea, I am afraid.

Like someone said, the worst your Aero will ever look is the first day you get it. It will look better as it conforms to your body shape over times.

So this isn't a deal breaker to me. And at this price for a brand new flawless Aero, it is a great deal.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Last edited:

MattJacket

New in Town
Thanks everyone for your helpful and insightful replies. It all really helpful to my decision making.

Oddly enough, it actually feels quite small and short - especially in the body. I think this is probably down to the fact that all my clothes are too big and baggy so that's what I'm used to. Despite the baggy appearance, It doesn't feel like there's space for anything other than a thin layer underneath (although there probably would be once it softens up). Would the collar likely to loosen up enough over time to be able to fasten the clasp? If not, would that be considered a deal breaker?

Looking at photos of WW2 servicemen, there does seem to be a wide disparity amongst the fit but mine appears looser than most - although I'm sure there were some tiny pilots hiding from the cameras!

If I end up sending this one back to Aero, I probably would ask about a custom fit but I do prefer a loose fit and the other disadvantage of a perfect fitting jacket would be that it would exaggerate how badly all my trousers fit!

The seal jerky horsehide is lovely stuff, not too thick or too thin and smells lush. If I keep it, I think it would take on a nice patina too.

Cheers,

Matt

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
Little big in the chest. Maybe sleeves will end up 1/2" too long? But all in all, I think it looks very good. It's not as trim as some WWII era flyers would wear theirs, but it certainly looks good for a modern fit. I think you've got a winner!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The collar will soften up, as the whole jacket will. The leather will drape more naturally in back and front, the sleeves will come a bit shorter. Once that has happened, it'll feel much more comfortable and less restricting than you currently describe it. I'd definitely keep this one. Also remember you wear leather jackets open 99,97% of the time.

Stand By

One Too Many
Hello Matt and welcome to the bar at this section of the Lounge!
And IMO, I think your A2 looks great! As JJ says, the fit of original A2s was very much a "rule of thumb" thing and often determined at the capricious whim of the QM of the day, so today we are very lucky indeed to be able to scrutinize fits and styles as we do and tailor these things to our own desires. I think it's fair to say that most people tend to prefer a more fitted A2, but I think it's a Pepsi/Coke thing and, certainly for myself, I definitely prefer a more "blousey" fit and I think yours has that perfectly and it looks the part handsomely.
I wouldn't worry about the throat-latch. In all the years I had my ELC A2, I never used it once. It's the mark of a proper repro, that's all.
I think the jacket suits your frame nicely, and I think that's the issue; there's the proportions you have and they are what they are (as indeed for all of us) and, as you state, this jacket is off-the-rack and a made-to-measure jacket isn't an option, so that, as they say, is that. The sleeve length looks right and it looks like there's room for a good sweater underneath, which is always handy as it extends the wear-time into the Fall and Spring. The back panel is blousey, but not unduly so to me, and that'll make it unconstrictive and it doesn't look baggy to me overall. I think it often comes down to the question "Does it look like you're wearing someone else's/your big brother's jacket?" and to me, it definitely doesn't. It looks like it's yours.
And as mentioned, it's how it makes you feel that's the important thing. I mean, I could offer you a bottle of vintage wine that's $250 and wax lyrically about how special it is and how the soil is unique for the growth and distinct flavour of the grapes and, oh, the special climate in the valley and the generational history of the vineyard and the family who've faithfully tended the vines over a century or two blah blah, and then offer you a bottle of a $15 bottle wine off the shelf - and if you prefer the taste of that $15 bottle, the question of which is the better bottle of wine becomes which is the better bottle of wine for you? It's the cheaper one, of course. There's no right or wrong in that.
But yes, I do think the jacket is in keeping with the A2 style and fit and it's clearly very nicely made and it's just a matter of your preference within that.
I'd say it's a definite keeper and it looks good on you. Nice one - to you and to Aero.
Wear it gladly and in good health.

Last edited:

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Matt,
I think once it softens up and the sleeves shorten it will be fine, wear it as often as possible even sitting about the house and it will soon break in, it is a very handsome jacket!

D

MattJacket

New in Town
Guys,

Well, what can I say other than thank you, I'm going to keep it!

As a relatively new member, I wasn't sure what kind of responses I would get but I'm overwhelmed by the positivity and feel very welcome as a member of this forum.

I will wear my first proper jacket with pride and after it's broken in, add some more pictures.

Thanks once again,

Matt

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm glad you're keeping it. Methinks the slight discrepancy in overall fit isn't worth the expenditure of returning it and trying to improve it in a different size. I think you'd find you'd find yourself coming back to this one.
As your first real A2 jacket, Matt, I'd say it's great and it's a fine entrance to the upper echelons of A2 jackets and it'll serve you very well and it'll only look better as time goes by. Hells bells, I ran around in an Aviation Leathercraft A2 for 18 years (unremarkable steer hide, YYK zip, inner pocket etc) until I discovered this place (as I wanted an upgrade) and became aware of the delights of something much nicer, like yours. Sure, the fit of your A2 could be improved by being brought in just slightly overall, but that's for the day when you have the money for made-to-measure and that's what you pay for. And maybe, one day, when you do have the money, you'll discover that it no longer matters to you and this is the one you'll wear for 18 years as I once wore mine? This is the jacket to wear as much as you can and in lots of weather and not worry if it gets scuffed and really enjoy the heck out of, and in time it'll mould to you better and, maybe like me, you'll find these things strangely fit your soul too. I tend to think of my jackets as old-world armour from a better era for a modern, fickle world. And yours is at a price that the rest of us here can only dream about. Score!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Matt, Welcome!

The A2 style isn't my area of interest but this looks like a pretty decent fit to me (for a new stiff jacket)

upload_2017-6-28_6-1-43.png

Glad to hear you are keeping it.

Wear the crap out of it, the leather will lose its stiffness, the sleeves will shorten. It will only get better with time, this is the worst it will ever look....

thor

One Too Many
Hi Matt, welcome and congrats on a nice jacket at a GREAT price.
A lot of brand new jackets look blousey and loose until properly broken in. To expedite matters, you can try wetting the collar (or other parts of the jacket) with warm water and really working it in. Some folks go to the extreme of wearing it in the shower (yes, you read that correctly! LOL), washing it in a washing machine (believe it or not), shrinking it via the "hot water treatment", sleeping in it, etc.
Just keep wearing the darn thing (especially in the rain) and before you know it, you'll have a fully broken-in A-2 that really looks authentic.

Lovely jacket, and I am lucky I reloaded the page before I posted what @thor did. ;)
Once you get used to it, and get cozy with the idea - a HWT is not a bad idea. I'd give it some time tho to see how you like it.
I know what it's like - albeit on the other end of the scale - to find clothes that fit. Congrats on a lovely A-2!!

MattJacket

New in Town
Thanks everyone for confirming that I've made the right decision. Removing the tag felt like a ceremony ha!

I've just been wearing it around the house and after just 30 minutes, it already feels more a part of me and is more inclined to move with me rather than trying to make me stand rigid like a manikin. The zip also comes to the top now without me feeling like I'm being throttled and the sleeves seem to be creeping up a bit.

The forecast is for light rain over the next few days so my walk to and from work should do it a world of good.

Cheers,

Matt

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Perfection is rarely achieved by any of us here, although IMHO your jacket fits well enough. Below is an example of variation in fit of WWII pilots.
Pilots-in-Type-A-2-jacket-471x320.jpg

Below is a picture of me wearing my Aero Bronco A-2 that many here consider an optimum fit but is a bit tight for my taste.
Fanch wearing Aero A-2 Bronco.jpg

My Gibson & Barnes "historical" Model 43 A-2 fits one full size larger than the Aero, perhaps looks a bit baggy, but feels great when wearing it.
2014-06-14 18.26.54.jpg
2014-06-14 18.27.08.jpg

CONCLUSION: Enjoy your new A-2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner