Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Half Belt Fit Jacket

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I would keep a jacket fitting as well as this one. Don't overthink it, it's just a jacket out of many jackets you have bought and will buy in your life. This is not a super trim fit, but why would you want that? The jacket as is favours your broad shoulders and leaves some room for layering or weight gain. It's a good manly look. Sizing down will leave you with a Trimmer jacket, that might still fit just so, but will leave no room for layering and is bound to end up dusting in your wardrobe when you gain 10 pounds. You're buying a jacket that's supposed to last for life, so buy it in a size that will still fit in 10 years, imho.

wdw

One Too Many
I agree with @jacketjunkie. I was borderline 38 or 40 on my Dustbowl, so ordered the smaller size for a trimmer fit. I then put on a few pounds, it didn't look right and I sold it. If I'd only gone up, I'd have been hundreds of pounds better off with a great looking broken-in jacket. Now I'm poorer and have to start again with a new one.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think this is a pretty good fit especially for an off the rack.
Trim the sleeves if you like, the back falls just above your jeans pocket which is where most like it too.....

The other option that might add confusion is to look at the premier half belt. Its a bit trimmer so might suit you better if you think the waist is too big on the standard half belt. You might need to size up though as the shoulders aren't as wide on the premier range but it will still be trimmer in the waist than this one.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I agree with @jacketjunkie. I was borderline 38 or 40 on my Dustbowl, so ordered the smaller size for a trimmer fit. I then put on a few pounds, it didn't look right and I sold it. If I'd only gone up, I'd have been hundreds of pounds better off with a great looking broken-in jacket. Now I'm poorer and have to start again with a new one.
Eric, I feel your pain. A longtime friend who owns a large men's store in Dallas told me a long time ago "A garment a bit too large will make you :) but one a bit too small will make you :( and I have had that lesson drilled into my psyche on more than one occasion. This is a good case in point for newbies here just starting out to not make the mistake of sizing down and if on the cusp between sizes, always choose the larger of the two. Glad to hear though your DB has sold so you can now get what you want.

Reactions: wdw

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think this is a pretty good fit especially for an off the rack.
Trim the sleeves if you like, the back falls just above your jeans pocket which is where most like it too.....

The other option that might add confusion is to look at the premier half belt. Its a bit trimmer so might suit you better if you think the waist is too big on the standard half belt. You might need to size up though as the shoulders aren't as wide on the premier range but it will still be trimmer in the waist than this one.

I concur that the OP's off the rack fit ain't half bad! Maybe subtract a bit off the body length and sleeve length but would approach sizing down with some caution for the reason I said in my response to Eric's (wdw) post. My personal experience is that for the most part, I go with a size 42 with most of Aero's models, and have found that Aero's size 42 fits my particular frame best with their 1930's HB and Cafe Racer (Sheene) with about 1" added added to each side panel on the Cafe Racer / Sheene models. Aero's 1950's models in size 42 are a roomier fit, and Aero's size 42 in their Premier Highwayman is very constricting for me in the chest and shoulders, especially the shoulders. Aero's A-2 fit for me requires at least a size 44 with 46 perhaps feeling the best. I hope I haven't added undue confusion to what is a somewhat complex paradigm.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Jacketjunkie; I understand, although my worry is losing weight as i get older. I used to be 155 with 4% fat. I am now 135 (at age 51). I'm not sure if i'll end up shrinking or expanding. I had to ditch two jackets and a closet full of custom clothes because i shrank a bit in the upper body. But I get your point amd if I ever decide to forget the dieting and live a life of culinary pleasure, I would benefit from the larger size.

ProteinNerd: I got the specs on the Premier. It is actually a boxier fit from what I can see. Trimmer, but straighter than the 30's HB. The shoulders go real tight on the Premier.

Thanks Fanch!

BobJ

Practically Family
Hey kronos, I have a question that has not been brought up so far: How is the freedom of movement for your arms and shoulders, in the jacket? Would it be comfortable to eat a meal in, or would you constantly be fighting against it? Can you hold a phone up to your ear while you're walking? Lift your arms to push your children, or grandchildren, on the swings? Hold binoculars at a football game? Just saying you might want to think about all that before considering going down a size. And, if you do lose weight and get skinnier in the future, as you get older and your metabolism slows down, you might find yourself wearing more layers under it, just to keep warm. By the way, I think the fit looks great on you. You could shorten the length an inch or so, if your preference is for a shorter jacket, but it's also fine as is.

I have a half belt that I love and wear all the time. I intentionally got it a little looser so: 1. It's more comfortable and unrestrictive for daily wear, 2. I can wear a vest or sweater under it and use it all through winter, 3. Being a bit looser lets it breathe better and lets a little air circulate in it when it's warmer or I'm being active. I take a lot of walks in it and appreciate that, warm, humid air can whoosh out the bottom and cuffs so I don't get sweaty and clammy inside. That's one of the reasons I didn't want knits cuffs and hem. If it gets colder, I simply add a layer or two.

Bottom line: Being a bit looser allows me to wear it longer into the cold months, AND into the warm months. But mine is not primarily used as a fashion jacket, it's more a real outdoor jacket here on the windy and rainy Oregon coast.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd: I got the specs on the Premier. It is actually a boxier fit from what I can see. Trimmer, but straighter than the 30's HB. The shoulders go real tight on the Premier.

You can always taper down the chest to waist size. For example, my premier half belt is a size 40 chest tapered down to a 38 waist.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Apart from the sleeves being too long to my taste, i like the fit. It isn't perfect, but what is? Jackets really only start to look good once they have been worn for a year or more - then the fit starts to look personalised. Good luck with it.

I had a half-belt once that was what some would consider the perfect fitted look. I didn't like it. Got the next size up - much easier to move in and much more practical.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
BobJ: Good points. I suspect the next size down would be too restrictive. Carrie has said it might even require a lighter lining and lighter leather as well.

So....looks like I am set. A bit off the lenght, sleeves and a few detail mods and I am good.

Just one thing: Horse or steer for a black leather jacket? I grew up with Mr. Ed on TV and would love to have horse, but so many people have said the black steer is nicer. Dan_t's black Steer Sheene has almost flipped me. Any reason to go with one or the other?

Superfluous

Just one thing: Horse or steer for a black leather jacket? I grew up with Mr. Ed on TV and would love to have horse, but so many people have said the black steer is nicer. Dan_t's black Steer Sheene has almost flipped me. Any reason to go with one or the other?

As PN said, Vicenza HH is the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24