Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman arrived

Cooperson

One Too Many
cloudspotter said:
hi cooperson - i just asked for some back pictures of the highwayman and you literally got the spot jacket i liked to order! thanks for the wonderful pic's - it really looks perfect on you, will be a neck-breaker, thats sure-fire!

BTW - you posted "some serious manipulation" for breakin' it in - what did you do? it really looks like you did a good job softening it?

B/R

Hi cloudspotter - I first tried just wearing it and flexing my arms to stretch the back, shoulders and crease the arms but after about an hour it was taking the skin from my elbows! The front panels, sides and back were like amour plates and I literally couldn't even sit in the jacket in any comfort. As I was only likely to get to wear the jacket at home in the evenings, on weekdays, I could see it taking years to break the thing in.

In the end I just got brutal with it and grabbed two fistful's of leather (from the lining side so as not to scratch the leather) and rubbed them together, kneading and squeezing it. I went over the whole jacket like that and eventually it gave in untill it hadn't even got the strength to stand up on it's own :)

I wore it out the very next day and it felt great! Still strong and heavy but I was able to move my arms and sit in it in relative comfort. It still has a long way to go, before I would call it broken in, but it's now well on the way and the main thing is I'm enjoying wearing it!

Cheers

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Cooperson, I did pretty much the same thing with my Lost Worlds. If I sat down to watch a show in the evening, I would just sit and work the jacket the whole time. Grabbing handfulls of leather and scrunching them up over and over, scrunching the jacket into a ball, etc. Within a few nights the leather was so soft it had me wondering why so many people complained about the stiffness of LW horse. Sure the jacket will still stop a bullet but at least it's a little more wearable!

Tommer

P.S. It's the jacket in my avatar.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice jacket Tommer. Yes, I'll never be frightened to help a jacket along it's way again. Let's face it, heavy leather will get there eventually anyway, but, unless you wear it all day every day, you're in for a very long period of discomfort when you could be out enjoying it.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
Very nice jacket Tommer. Yes, I'll never be frightened to help a jacket along it's way again. Let's face it, heavy leather will get there eventually anyway, but, unless you wear it all day every day, you're in for a very long period of discomfort when you could be out enjoying it.

Agreed, since I wear a suit all week (just sucks terribly) so some nights I actually will force myself to go out and do something like walk the streets, just as an excuse to put on some casual clothes and wear the Aero.

What I also did with it early on was to roll it into a ball and literally bear-hug the heck out of it, rolling it around and "kneading" it like pizza dough. It definitely makes a huge difference, and I can see how a person who wears it daily will get it much more comfortable after probably only one to two seasons, while those "weekend warriors" like me would take years to do so.

This type of "break-in" I think is acceptable, as opposed to more aggressive efforts like putting it into a washing machine and dryer, or sanding the jacket like some posters on the Indy forums do. That's too much, but a little kneading will be hugely helpful in making the jacket much more wearable without prematurely "aging" the jacket.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Cooperson! Great fit lad! I can't recall the exact details concerning my order but it's a 46. I'm 5'9" 210 with a 45" chest at rest. I may have knocked an inch off the sleeves and length. Something rings a bell concerning that. Anyone else out there with similar dimensions to myself with a Highwayman? What size do you own? @@@ Needless and pointless to worry about it I suppose. From comments made on non-military Aero sizing, I'm just wondering if a 44 may have served. *Nellys ghost chuckles in the background* Enjoy that skin Cooperson...nice pics, beauty colour! J.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Johnnynotoes said:
Cooperson! Great fit lad! I can't recall the exact details concerning my order but it's a 46. I'm 5'9" 210 with a 45" chest at rest. I may have knocked an inch off the sleeves and length. Something rings a bell concerning that. Anyone else out there with similar dimensions to myself with a Highwayman? What size do you own? @@@ Needless and pointless to worry about it I suppose. From comments made on non-military Aero sizing, I'm just wondering if a 44 may have served. *Nellys ghost chuckles in the background* Enjoy that skin Cooperson...nice pics, beauty colour! J.

Thanks Johnny. With the pics I really wanted to show what brand new heavy front quarter horse looked like in natural light - thought it might be useful for others who were thinking of buying one. I was a bit concerned by the flat waxy look, when I pulled it out of the box, but it's amazing how quickly it mellows and reveals it's grain. Regards sizing, if your chest is a relaxed 45" then a 46" jacket sounds ok to me, it all depends what you want to wear under it. My jacket is 1/2" bigger than my relaxed chest and is perfect with a just a shirt but a bit snug with a thick sweater. Sounds like we need two, one for summer and one for winter! :)

workin' in the beast

hi cooperson - thanks for the hint with working the jacket in; i'll try the same as my brand new halfbelt fur is not in daily use so far because of the coming warm weather.

to do it from the lining side is clever - adopts to the natural movement of the wearer somehow.

well well well folks - time for me to place the order for the summer leather!

all of you thanks for the posts; great lounge!

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
eClair, what is your chest (inhaled/exhaled), stomach and waist measurements, and what size did you go with?

my measurements are:
height 181cm = 71.5" = 5ft 11.5"
chest exhaled 108cm = 42.5"
chest inhaled 112cm = 44"

Don't know my waist and stomach, but I wear 32 or 34" Jeans (depending on the brand) and I don't have much of a belly.

I went with a size 42", which is perfect for me in the HWYman, not too roomy, but quite enough to put a sweater underneath. Here is a pic of my then practically new one (excuse the bad quality of the pic please):
Foto52.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
eClairvaux said:
my measurements are:
height 181cm = 71.5" = 5ft 11.5"
chest exhaled 108cm = 42.5"
chest inhaled 112cm = 44"

Don't know my waist and stomach, but I wear 32 or 34" Jeans (depending on the brand) and I don't have much of a belly.

I went with a size 42", which is perfect for me in the HWYman, not too roomy, but quite enough to put a sweater underneath. Here is a pic of my then practically new one (excuse the bad quality of the pic please):
Foto52.jpg

Absolutely perfect fit for you, a beautiful jacket!

Volpone

New in Town
Back length

Hello Cooperson,

Can you tell me the back length of your HWM ? I have almost the same order as you, size 40, but with mid-w HH and "Common Riding".
Congratulations for your beautiful jacket !

Thank you.
V.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Cooperson said:

Cooperson,

Hello. I suspect we are from the same county - I think I'm about 20 miles away from you. Anyway, I congratulate you on your choice of jacket and it's maker. I bought my first Aero horsehide jacket in 1986 (I was on the waiting list when they started to produce them) and I have been a regular customer ever since. I think I am up to 10 or 12 Aero FQHH jackets in various styles so far and I can assure you that you have a lifelong friend there.

However, I must respectfully differ with your conclusions regarding your 'indoor' method of adapting the jacket to your body - I stress that I am not attacking you or criticising your method in any way, just trying to offer constructive advice based on my own experience. I take the reverse view to that in your second sentence - if you put the jacket on and go out and do something physical in it, then you are out and enjoying it, rather than sitting at home.

For what it's worth, here is what I do when faced with a new, stiff jacket. I own 10 acres of mixed woodland, and that needs regular looking after, so I wear the jacket to do a day's light lumberjacking (or 'woodland management' as we tree-huggers call it). I have found that four or five hours vigorous and varied activity with an axe, bill-hook and bowsaw makes even the heaviest, stiffest jacket very flexible and, as it involves a high number of repetitions of the normal range of body movement, will produce the sort of effect (e.g. curving in the outer sleeve, with stretch marks, compression marks in the inner elbows, stretching across the back, etc.) that is a result of actual prolonged wear. In other words, the jacket conforms to your body shape and the wear looks natural, rather than just being 'crumpling'. This is difficult to achieve if you are not wearing the jacket. I'm not saying that a convincing effect can't be achieved by skillful 'off-the'body' manipulation - for instance, John Chapman is very good at this sort of thing but he's been doing it for years and has it down to a 'fine art' - it's just not something everyone can do convincingly.

As well as (IMO) a 'better effect' when compared the other 'artifical' methods of adaptation, the above method has the advantage of maintaining one's muscle tone, keeping down one's weight and is just a great way to spend an afternoon - and you've done something useful at the end of it. Now, you are probably saying that not everyone has access to a woodland to do such activity, but you will in fact find that the British Trust for Covservation Volunteers (http://www2.btcv.org.uk/display/dayprojects) are on the lookout for volunteers in your area. I work with them, and it is fun. Remember (Aero makes this point somehere on their website) that heavy leather garments were originally protective wear and, even today, respond well to this. Heavy FQHH is certainly the best material to wear for woodland work in inclement weather, I have found, as modern waterproof jackets (e.g. Gore-tex) are too easily damaged and wool, though warm, isn't as water resistant.

Sorry for the lengthy post and please don't think it critical. Good luck with your new jacket.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hello Volpone - No problem. From the top of the collar to the bottom of the hem is 25". Hope this helps. You will love your jacket!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hello H. Johnson - Thank you for your advice. I'm am finding it fascinating how a single item of clothing can generate such lengthy and heated debates :)
I can only say that I am very happy with the way my Aero both looks and feels.

On to more interesting matters, after owning 10 to 12 Arero jackets, could I ask which are your favorites and why. This could be a bad sign, not to mention potentially expensive, but I am already thinking of my next jacket.

Cheers

Peacoat

Bartender
Cooperson said:
Hello H. Johnson - Thank you for your advice. I'm am finding it fascinating how a single item of clothing can generate such lengthy and heated debates :)

On to more interesting matters, after owning 10 to 12 Arero jackets, could I ask which are your favorites and why. This could be a bad sign, not to mention potentially expensive, but I am already thinking of my next jacket.

Cheers

It is called an addiction--an expensive addiction. Good luck.

My next Aero will be a LHB.

Peacoat said:
It is called an addiction--an expensive addiction. Good luck.

My next Aero will be a LHB.

So true...
I've accumulated eleven Aero Jackets..Hwymn...Longshoreman...several '30s HBs...repro A2s...shearling B6...and a new Bootlegger to be here any day will be No. twelve.
So far my Highwayman has been my favorite. Simply because it is just a comfortable style of jacket.
HD

Hey H.Johnson
How about posting some pics of your Aeros!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm finding that there's some restricted arm movement while wearing my new Highwayman — felt as pressure around the biceps and the backs of the arms when moving my arms normally while walking. It's nothing major and may let up as the leather eases in. Or it may be to do with the cut of the armholes.

Otherwise, a very comfortable, stylish jacket.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
I'm finding that there's some restricted arm movement while wearing my new Highwayman — felt as pressure around the biceps and the backs of the arms when moving my arms normally while walking. It's nothing major and may let up as the leather eases in. Or it may be to do with the cut of the armholes.

Otherwise, a very comfortable, stylish jacket.

CP - I know what you mean, definitely a bit of tightness around the arms, when bending them and across the backs of the arms and shoulders when driving, but I still love it! The fascinating thing for me, is that initial feeling of tightness seems to just fade away as my body heat warms the leather. It's amazing how the air temperature seems to affect the pliability of this heavy horsehide. In the mornings when I first pick my Highwayman up it feels stiff as a board, but within minutes of putting it on (for my morning bonding session :) ) the jacket seems to just drape around me, like a second skin. Come to think of it, Will at Aero did warn me NEVER to leave the jacket in the boot of my car in winter - apparently if the hide gets below freezing for a prolonged period, it can cause serious damage!

Shame your jacket is too shy to have it's picture taken, would have really liked to have seen it :)

Cheers

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Apologies for not replying sooner, I have been fulfilling an appointment with 26 miles 385-ish yards of London pavement.
This is a difficult choice, and others will have different feelings, but my favourite personal Aero jackets (meaning those I have owned) are, for what it's worth:
- My first Highwayman (1986?), because it marked my introduction to the wonderful Aero company, its clever staff and its, er...charismatic proprietor, who I cam to regard as a friend;
- A custom Motorcycle jacket in super-heavy hide (1992?) that recently turned up again for sale on this forum;
- One of the first anniversary model '42 contract A-2s in pale hide under very dark seal with red knits and a NOS Talon. Still have it, wearing well but too large, it's for sale.
- A Levi's Aviator Style repro that they did in the early 2000s for LVC. With the cinches done up tight, I wear a thick under layer it and pretend this still fits...

Others have been good, these just happen to have fit my requirements well. I'm only sorry I have reduced 5 sizes since I bought my first Aero, or I would still be wearing them all.

It would be interesting (to me, anyway) to start a thread on 'the early days' (abitrarily 1984-1994) of the Aero Leather and TransAtlantic Clothing Companies. Before the WWW people used to actually go there to buy their jackets, and they had open days - a sort of Ace Cafe for leather heads! I made many friends through Aero. Those were great days, and The Proprietor (now retired) was a man to remember in more ways than one...

Cooperson said:

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy