Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman Bleed Through Lining

jaffathehat

New in Town
Hello all, I begun a different thread a few weeks ago concerning a dark stain on the wine colored lining of my new Aero Highwayman. At the time I believed the stain was a dye transfer from a black leather belt of mine but now, after going through some old threads, I feel pretty certain the stain has been caused by the jacket bleeding through the lining. As you will see (photos to follow) the stain is not big and not in a noticeable place (except of course I know its there) so my question is has anyone else had a similar issue? BTW I have also noticed the label in the lining about the 1920's tanning process and color loss from time to time which I guess covers Aero.

Regards

Jaffa

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hello all, I begun a different thread a few weeks ago concerning a dark stain on the wine colored lining of my new Aero Highwayman. At the time I believed the stain was a dye transfer from a black leather belt of mine but now, after going through some old threads, I feel pretty certain the stain has been caused by the jacket bleeding through the lining. As you will see (photos to follow) the stain is not big and not in a noticeable place (except of course I know its there) so my question is has anyone else had a similar issue? BTW I have also noticed the label in the lining about the 1920's tanning process and color loss from time to time which I guess covers Aero.

Regards

Jaffa
What makes you think that?

I've had some dye rub off the topcoat onto light colored fabric with a brand new jacket, but it didn't persist very long, and washed out easily.

jaffathehat

New in Town
Here are some photos, the stain is more noticable with the naked eye.

Attachments

• 20220511_185716.jpg
    20220511_185716.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 20220511_185707.jpg
    20220511_185707.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What's your concern exactly?

Yes I had jackets bleed through the lining, it easily happens when vegetable tanned leather gets wet. So what?

Peacoat

Bartender
We have at least one thread on jackets bleeding on to other surfaces. It has been a problem in the past, but bleeding on to the liner isn't serious. I would be more concerned about bleeding on surfaces such as chairs or car seats. You might watch out for this problem.

jaffathehat

New in Town
What's your concern exactly?

Yes I had jackets bleed through the lining, it easily happens when vegetable tanned leather gets wet. So what?
My concern is that if it continues it will ruin the look of the lining but from what you are saying this is only to be expected? This is my first Aero horsehide so maybe I am on a learning curve. I have other leather jackets I have owned for years with lots of wear but never had this happen.

jaffathehat

New in Town
We have at least one thread on jackets bleeding on to other surfaces. It has been a problem in the past, but bleeding on to the liner isn't serious. I would be more concerned about bleeding on surfaces such as chairs or car seats. You might watch out for this problem.
Hi Peacoat, now you mention it I will keep an eye out for it.

jaffathehat

New in Town
Hi Mike, it was when I realized it was from the jacket and not the belt as I can always just stop wearing the belt. As it is yes, I can live with it, as long as it does not get any worse.

If the jacket was purchased new, I’d email Holly or Denny to ask about it. I doubt it will get worse, but it’s nice to get an answer from the factory.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I had a certain amount of „bleeding“ in two of my Aero chrometanned jackets. It will stop eventually, but it may stain lighter coloured areas of contact (Shirts, seats etc.). I always had the impression that it’s less a real bleeding (as in: unprovoked transfer of colour) and more of a rub-off in areas of friction like collars, elbows, hem area.
More or less the same with new indigo-dyed denims, so I doubt it’s a cause for real concern or even a defect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ