Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new Akubra Bushman

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Where can I get a new Akubra Bushman besides David Morgan? Nothing at all against David (fine service) but with current Aussie dollar exchange $120 US is a bit steep right now. I can get 2 Squatters or Open Roads for that. Have US dealers started to match Aussie prices…yet?

Does Hatsdirect or Everything Australian sell Akubras labeled Bushman? Other sources?
Or is there another Akubra with same specs by different name?

Imperial Quality felt, 5 ½” open crown, 3 1/4” brim, bound edge, Nullabor Tan colour, ½” ribbon.

Also noticed my old Bushman doesn’t have chin strap holes and new ones do. When did that start?

My ol’ Akubra Bushman is finally ready to retire. It’s been my solid go to hat for heavy working in rain and snow since the day I got it from one of them new fangled upstart mail order houses called David Morgan in Bothell, WA back in 1965. It’s been a fine friend. Earned it’s peg on the Great Wall-O-Hats but begs to be replaced in kind.

Fredthecat

Daoud

One of the Regulars
My, my....that hat has earned its retirement. I'd like to see a picture of it. I like the Bushman myself, and I always said that if I was going to buy an Akubra, it would be a Bushman. But....I own three Akubras, and not one is a Bushman. I just recently bought a Federation IV from Hatsdirect, and while I was waiting on it to be delivered I emailed them asking if by chance they had any Bushmen. I immediately got a response from Jenny who told me that while they didn't stock them, they would be happy to special order one. I didn't ask about the price. Said they had already placed orders through January, so if you order one now you could get it in February. Drop 'em an email-it's sales@hatsdirect.com

Heck no, the U.S. dealers aren't going to match Aussie prices until they run out all the stock they bought when the conversion rate wasn't as good!

Not that there ARE that many U.S. dealers!

Daoud

One of the Regulars
OK, check THIS out- I was surfing along trying to find out if anyone had any Bushmen available NOW, and I came across a Google reference saying that the hat that Adam from Mythbusters wears is "a Campdraft in Tawny Fawn sold as the Bushman in the U.S.A." Is that nuts or what???!!! This is from the Hatsdirect website, so it must be legit. Here's the pic of the Campdraft -

campdraft-taupefawn-small.jpg

And here is the pic of the Bushman from the David Morgan catalogue-
1606_thb.jpg

BUT-----looking at the description of the Bushman in the DM catalogue, it says it has a 3 1/4 inch brim...but the Campdraft has a 70mm brim, which is exactly 2 3/4 inch.........hmmmmmm.....apparently someone at Hatsdirect has their hats mixed up. Still, the CD DOES look very similar to the BM, and today costs $68.50 USD-----probably right around $100.00 delivered.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Similar, but different. The Bushman has a wider brim. The crown might be a tad shorter too.

I've looked too, and can't find ANYWHERE that sells the Bushman other than David Morgan.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I was told by a retailer in Canada that David Morgan is also the North American distributor of Akubra. It runs parallel operations here .. one wholesaling to re-sellers and the other retailing to the public. Perhaps it has not offered the Bushman at a good price to the re-sellers of Akubra in N.A.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Did you ask hatsdirect if they can get it? My first Akubra was a bushman and I got it from hatsdirect, but that was almost 10 years ago.

fedoralover

YARVTON

New in Town
Bushman

It's confusing. I thought the "Bushman" was an exclusive to David Morgan and copied the oldest of Akubra models. Australian websites sometimes list a Bushman, but I have yet to see a photo and/or specs that match the DM offering.

warbird

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Wasn't there information as to how the Indy guys would buy Bushman hats and cut the brim to dimensionally match the original Indy fedora from the movie? This is pre Federation days.

John I htink that was the squatter they did that with.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Thanks, sounds like I’m not the only one confused by the “Bushman” moniker.
Perhaps the “Bushman” label is a David Morgan exclusive in North America (nothing wrong with DM, they always provide excellent service and fast shipping even to Alaska).

I have Akubra Squatters, Campdrafts, Angler and Tracker….good hats…the Bushman brim is different.

Good find. Yates carries a “Bushman” at $109 USD, but no photos. I wonder, anyone got one?

Through windswept Montana wilderness rains and driving Alaskan snow on the Chilkoot Pass trail that Akubra Bushman and Filson clothes helped me blaze a trail and always kept me dry warm, and well dressed.

At 43 years old the Bushman doesn’t look a day over 15. Just doesn’t fit as well as it used to. It’s a 57 I now wear 58s (head fattening?)

My Bushman has no chinstrap grommets.

warbird

One Too Many
Fredthecat said:
Thanks, sounds like I’m not the only one confused by the “Bushman” moniker.
Perhaps the “Bushman” label is a David Morgan exclusive in North America (nothing wrong with DM, they always provide excellent service and fast shipping even to Alaska).

I have Akubra Squatters, Campdrafts, Angler and Tracker….good hats…the Bushman brim is different.

Good find. Yates carries a “Bushman” at $109 USD, but no photos. I wonder, anyone got one?

Through windswept Montana wilderness rains and driving Alaskan snow on the Chilkoot Pass trail that Akubra Bushman and Filson clothes helped me blaze a trail and always kept me dry warm, and well dressed.

At 43 years old the Bushman doesn’t look a day over 15. Just doesn’t fit as well as it used to. It’s a 57 I now wear 58s (head fattening?)

My Bushman has no chinstrap grommets.

The classic Bushman is Imperial felt. The Yates version says theres is superfine which is not quite as good as Imperial from my understanding. They only use that felt on certain 'special made' hats and they aren't high dollar, so that is my guess. According to Akubra the Bushman is not typically a superfine hat it would have to be special ordered like that.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The Squatter has fantastic Indy potential, though the color is a tad light (better too light, than too dark, in my opinion). Mine came with a superb "belled" reverse taper shape. Pure chance, I'm sure, and I wonder how that chance ever fell on me.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Like I said, Hatsdirect will order a Bushman. That price for the one from Yates was out to lunch- might as well order one from David Morgan for $128.00 shipped in the U.S.

I did see a Bushman on eBay Australia earlier today. A size 55 I believe.

I emailed hatsdirect and asked why they were saying a Campdraft and a Bushman were the same hats, when clearly they are not- I have received no reply....looks like someone stepped on their.....hatband.

elveston

Familiar Face
Akubra Bushman Moonstone

I may be way behind the curve here, but I just found a Moonstone Bushman being offered by David Morgan. It got me so excited, I ordered one immediately. My old, drab Bushman now will have a colorful companion. I did a quick search of all the other Akubra sources, but only David Morgan had it listed. Another exclusive?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bushman

Similar, but different. The Bushman has a wider brim. The crown might be a tad shorter too.

I've looked too, and can't find ANYWHERE that sells the Bushman other than David Morgan.
Wrangler Outpost, a U.S. dealer, sells the Bushman too for $122. From what the guys at "Outpost" said the "Squatter" is being discontinued in the U.S. and is being replaced by the Bushman...It's also the "Squatter" that people have bought to transform into Indy hats. I hate seeing the Squatter leave the States. I would like to have bought another one in a different color other than the Black one I have. Also, as stated in the OP, if anyone can find 2 Squatters or 2 Open Roads for a $120 I would definitely be interested.

Wrangler Outpost...
http://www.kakadutrader.com/akubra_hatindex.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou