Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Alexander Leather Roadster too tight?

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Possibly not--someone recently bought a sale jacket from AL which didn't fit and they made one in his size for him as a straight swap. Amazing customer service !
I don't think it's a case of the cut doesn't suit--the Roadster is a pretty accommodating style and the OP is clearly a "normal" sort of body shape....just maybe he is "between sizes" since some think it a little too trim and others say it is just right....

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Possibly not--someone recently bought a sale jacket from AL which didn't fit and they made one in his size for him as a straight swap. Amazing customer service !
I don't think it's a case of the cut doesn't suit--the Roadster is a pretty accommodating style and the OP is clearly a "normal" sort of body shape....just maybe he is "between sizes" since some think it a little too trim and others say it is just right....

I read that too but it was the introductory sale at the beginning nearly a year ago. They shortened the sleeves of my sale jacket for nothing then too. They have a four week or so waiting list now so are getting established, and I can't see them making full price jackets for half price anymore.

I may be wrong.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
You're probably right-- it seemed above and beyond the call of duty at the time -- I didn't realise it was quite so long ago, my how time flies.

P.S. If I were the OP I'd send it back and get something in a 40"---there's several on there including a very nice Detroit in seal jerky horse......

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
I am curious also how far you have the side straps tightened? The other post you link to that I started, also shows my Roadster being a little tight in the chest, if you look close. It hasn't bothered me. Your jacket looks fine to me except the back a little loose, but still no biggy. As others have mentioned you will have to feel out what you think of it. You got it for a good price so maybe a not perfect fit is ok? Maybe it will loosen up and conform with wear?
Mine has the tight chest but the back is not too loose. I believe mine would loosen up if the shoulders were 1/2 wider. My Lost Worlds Ryder, which fits me perfect, is the same measurements as the Roadster, just about an inch wider in the shoulders. No tightness in the chest at all on the LW.
Maybe if you tightened the straps it would pull in.
I have worn my most every day since I got it.
Here are some updated pics of mine with a few months winter wear on it. I don't have it zipped all the way but when I do the crease goes away but is a little tight there. I can wear an undershirt and thick sweater underneath but is tight. I can move my arms freely. Touching opposite shoulder etc.
Our new cocker spaniel gets a cameo. Sorry for the bad face painting.
IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0341.JPG

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'll put my two cents in too. I don't think it's looks funny tight. Let's put it this way, if Mick Jagger was wearing it, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go a size up. For me the calculus depends on what you like plus it's got to be comfortable. A jacket that binds when you're driving, etc., is too tight.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
If it doesnt feel right then its too tight. My grandmother always said "life's too short to wear tight shoes".

Bullitt

New in Town
What a warm welcome at the Fedora Lounge. Thanks to everybody who took the time to give me feedback.

@breton Yes the sleeves could be a bit longer but it’s not bothering me.

@StandBy
There is plenty of room in the belly area, which I don’t plan to fill in the next 50 years… :)
"if in doubt, bale out" Yes!!!

@thor
That’s what I thought. Sizing up might or might not be a solution. Probably mtm is the way to go.

@IXL
Yes I can reach the opposite shoulders when the jacket is zipped up.

@Edward
I hope it is not the cut of this model, but I will ask the AL customer service.

@schitzo
The side straps are not pulled at all on these photos. Making them tighter did not help.

@Capesoftwrath
Keep it or get my money back, that’s right!

@scawlysteve
I will check all the offers in 40.

@Vespizzare
"… if Mick Jagger was wearing it…" :) I like this thought.

@winterland1
tightening the straps does not help.
Do you wear your Roadster zipped up most of the time? Did the leather stretch after almost half a year of daily wear?
We are roughly the same size and shape (5' 9" 145lbs 38") and the measurements of the jackets are the same too. Yours is a 36, mine is a 38. Not sure how seriously AL takes the sizing. In a shop I once tried on an AL Half Belt sample that was labeled 42 and did fit perfectly…

@ProteinNerd
Good question. Don’t know yet maybe 40% of the time zipped.

I am seduced by the weight and texture of the leather. However I believe that everything I wear should fit well and that the bargain price of the jacket should not influence me. For twice the price I can have a made to measure Roadster. 250£ for a jacket I don’t wear often is a lot of money. 500£ for a jacket that fits perfectly and I wear a lot is a good price.

An other thing that puts me off is that the jacket does not have an inner pocket. Not a big problem, but wearing mostly Engineered Garments jackets recently has spoilt me when it comes to pockets.

Later today, I will try on the jacket with just a t-shirt underneath and then decide whether I keep it or return it.

Edit:
Sent it back today. The right decission. My hunt for a black leather jacket continues. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Well let us know what you find for a new black jacket.
I do wear mine zipped all the way quite often as I have worn it most all this winter. Mine has loosened up a little in the chest but it still is a hair tight. This has been with two shirts on underneath, once it warms up and I wear one shirt we'll see if it feels looser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic