Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Black Hat

ITG

Call Me a Cab
K.D. Lightner said:
Maybe women wear more fedoras, cowboy hats in your neck of the woods. Out here it is mostly Aussies and Tilleys.
You'd be surprised how few cowboy hats you see here (at least in the city). Most people that come to Texas expects to see nearly everyone wearing a cowboy hat.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
No, no hurting neck. And no blood. I actually have no body whatsoever and this is but a mere illusion of my inner consciousness. I am a phantom attached to a keyboard and no more...

My roomate took the pic while above me, when I was laying down. Sort of an aerial map, so to speak.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
You know, Holly, I would think they would, especially in West Texas. Because Texas has been defined as a cowboy state, we expect to go there and see cowboy stuff.

When I moved from NYC to San Diego two decades ago, I thought to myself, wow, now I am moving to the west, I can wear a cowboy hat! Then, I discovered I had moved a little too far west and that no one who was considered "cool" in San Diego would be caught dead in a cowboy hat (Southern Californians define themselves by "cool"). If I move 20 miles East, into horse country, it all changes.

More guys than gals wear cowboy hats here. There is a western bar called In Cahoots where the guys all wear cowboy hats, but most of the gals do not. They do wear the boots, tight jeans and shirts with a western flavor, but no hats.

I rarely see women wear fedoras here. Just me and a goodly number of South American and some Asian American women. However, in recent months more African American women have been wearing women's fedoras -- and caps of all kinds. I get more complements on my fedoras from African American women than any other group of people.

karol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
K.D. Lightner said:
You know, Holly, I would think they would, especially in West Texas. Because Texas has been defined as a cowboy state, we expect to go there and see cowboy stuff.
No sure there, I never go out to West Texas.

[/quote]More guys than gals wear cowboy hats here.
Same here I'd say.

My mom had a cousin from DC come visit. He and his wife expected to see nothing but cowboy hats and boots and big belt buckles when they got off the plain. They were disappointed. We took them to the stockyards where they bought some cowboy boots and western wear and then off to the mesquite rodeo so they could show off their threads. Many more cowboys there, so they were quite satisfied.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I discovered, when I went to Houston to visit a dear friend, how much in error I was about Texas. I, too, expected cowboy stuff, and, outside the big rodeo there and a great western/horse shop, I realized that East Texas was really more Deep South and that West Texas was a whole 'nother world.

When the Cowgirl Hall of Fame moved to Ft. Worth, the city had advertised itself as "Fort Worth -- Where the West Begins." Maybe West of that point, there is more cowboy stuff, who knows?

California is a schizo state, also, between Northern and Southern California. You even hear people speaking of wanting to split off and form two states. I am not sure, here, "where the North begins," but you can't get any further South than where I live, unless you live in Mexico.

karol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
Please post a pic of the inside of the hat.
Well this was taken off of ebay on another hat, but the inside emblem on mine looks pretty much the same:

3e_1_b.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo