Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Boots with "cut" in leather.

Samcurr

Familiar Face
Quick question. Received a new pair of custom Engineers today and noticed a little "nick" in the leather. The look doesn't bother me, but my main concern is if that little nick will turn into a tear or get bigger with wear/time? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4105.jpg
    IMG_4105.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 122

Observe

One Too Many
It will likely not get bigger, but it's still quite annoying to receive brand new, presumably rather expensive custom boots and for them to have such an obvious defect in them. It will blend in with the general wear and tear over time. Who's the maker and who did you purchase them from? I'd consider at least sending someone a message showing them the issue. Perhaps you could get a discount or some other type of compensation.

Samcurr

Familiar Face
It will likely not get bigger, but it's still quite annoying to receive brand new, presumably rather expensive custom boots and for them to have such an obvious defect in them. It will blend in with the general wear and tear over time. Who's the maker and who did you purchase them from? I'd consider at least sending someone a message showing them the issue. Perhaps you could get a discount or some other type of compensation.
Ordered them direct from Wesco. I sent them a message, we'll see what they say. I like my boots to look distressed, but last thing I want is an open tear. Don't wan't to wear them for a year or so and see it getting bigger, etc.

Observe

One Too Many
Wesco makes a tough boot but they are not especially diligent in their QC. Dont think a cut in the leather is acceptable though. I find this lax QC to be the case with Viberg and Whites as well, so maybe it's a PNW thing. I've never handled Nick's but from what I've seen, their QC seems a bit tighter, however I don't really like the way any of their boots look.

Gone

New in Town
If that ever grows larger it would take a very long time. However, that is some poor QC. Did you get them on sale?

Samcurr

Familiar Face
If that ever grows larger it would take a very long time. However, that is some poor QC. Did you get them on sale?
No. Custom ordered waited 10.5 months and just got them yesterday. Kind of a bummer. We'll see how they handle it. If it doesn't grow or open up if I bump/scrape it against something (I'm tough on my boots) then it wont bother me. Anyone have any cut boots? Any experience with something like this getting worse with time?

Gone

New in Town
On looking at your picture magnified, I'd say it looks more like a crack than a cut. If the boots remain in your possession, you may want to apply your preferred conditioner to the area.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
That is a very small blemish. It won’t effect durabIlity at all. You’ll have 10 just like it after a month Of wearing them. Regarding posts referencing QC, I can’t understand why at a $600 price point people would expect perfection. I‘m not saying $600 dollars for footwear is cheap but on the spectrum of products you find on TFL they are mid priced and considered of average aesthetic value. Based on what i’ve seen in years here at at tfl $1500-2000 is where you can expect them to look perfect. For $600 you get pretty good (not perfect) qc and a super durable very nice boot.

Observe

One Too Many
For the record I still think you're entitled to feel a bit hard done by. I don't subscribe to the mentality that it's acceptable for boots that are "only" $600 and that you waited almost a year for have cuts in them. To each his own, though.

ericksonpipes

One of the Regulars
Wesco has a great customer service -- they'll want to make things right. That being said, the occasional (non-detrimental) scuff and/or punch in the leather can occur during the manufacturing process, but these are often nothing to worry about. Judging by your photo, that looks quite manageable and mostly likely, less severe than what these boots will encounter down the road with future wears!

Samcurr

Familiar Face
Not too worried about it. Regardless, I contacted Chris and he said it should be fine, but just in case anything happens I'm covered. With that being said I already conditioned the boots and now I'll begin to put them through their paces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112