Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Custom Belted-back Jacket

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Edward said:
Never quite got that, mysaelf - I've always had good experiences with Next (a lot of my shirts are from there) - the one thing I loathe about them is that they change their collections so often, they might have a season where I like a lot, then two where there's nothing I would wear.

Eliteism is the reason, I feel. The changes of collection make for great clearance sales!

Alan

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket, Hj! I love the knife pleat and yoke in the back---I wanted to have that done for my linen jacket, but was told that the linen wouldn't hold it the same way as wool, so I opted for the simpler pleats. The jacket looks like it fits a little boxy, but not unflattering. It just doesn't have the 30s waist and hip pronouncement. A glenn plaid is very classic- good choice :)

Edward

Bartender
Alan Eardley said:
Eliteism is the reason, I feel. The changes of collection make for great clearance sales!

Alan

Ha, they do that.... I just find it frustrating from time to time that if I don't buy it as soon as I see it, it'll be gone next time.... OTOH, I suppose it's not always a bad thing that not every other bugger on the high street is wearing the same clothes as me.... (who's being elitist now, eh? :p ).

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Very nice, Hem. Is that a tropical weight wool, then? It reminds me a lot of Gable's jacket from It Happened One Night.

Hastings is certainly an excellent model, though!
Thanks, Jack. It's not tropical, but it's certainly not heavy either. I could wear it all year. I do intend of getting another in the fall of a heavier tweed.

Gable's suit is amazing from that film. He has these expandable flapped pockets and that amazing action back. -Not to mention the fit.

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
Gable's suit is amazing from that film. He has these expandable flapped pockets and that amazing action back. -Not to mention the fit.

H.J. check out this jacket. It has the pockets and action back you refer to. :)
Pic1.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
That really came out well! Maybe it is lucky that houndstooth is a little thin on the ground right now?
I think you're there, Mr. Race. ;)
his style has a bit more flexibility than a heavier houndstooth.

Mike1939 said:
I think its perfect! My wife and I are big fans of Poirot and I drive her nuts by pausing the show to see the details of Hastings suits and sportcoats. You've brought that jacket to life and you wear it well. Congratulations on a good purchase.
Thank you, Mike. Yours is a high compliment and I appreciate it. I also freeze frame Hastings for his choices in clothes. They really have that character down.

Mr. Rover said:
Beautiful jacket, Hj! I love the knife pleat and yoke in the back---I wanted to have that done for my linen jacket, but was told that the linen wouldn't hold it the same way as wool, so I opted for the simpler pleats. The jacket looks like it fits a little boxy, but not unflattering. It just doesn't have the 30s waist and hip pronouncement. A glenn plaid is very classic- good choice :)
Thank you for your comments, my friend.
I think that they came very close to what I sent them, but there is a certain modern taint to what they did that only we would notice. Had they put more padding in the shoulders and tapered the fabric more to the waist with a bit more of a skirted flair at the hips coming out of the belt, it would have looked more authentic thirties. But this is pedantic and I am entirely pleased with how it is.

Edward, I love Next. I was very sad when they left Massachusetts. I bought three suits at a location in London back in the 90's.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
H.J. check out this jacket. It has the pockets and action back you refer to. :)
Pic1.jpg
It looks great. You should post that in the jackets section.

You know what else you could post... that white crepe jacket I tried on at Bobby's. That would be great to share with our fellow Loungers.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
As I told you before the jacket looks fantastic. I'd take in the waist and put pleats above the belt as well though that's my style. I think they did a good job.

I think the pockets should button through though it's a style decision overall its a good looking jacket. get some trousers made to match or wear it with light blie trousers or complimenting light grey.

congratulations
It it fully lined?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
As I told you before the jacket looks fantastic. I'd take in the waist and put pleats above the belt as well though that's my style. I think they did a good job.

I think the pockets should button through though it's a style decision overall its a good looking jacket. get some trousers made to match or wear it with light blie trousers or complimenting light grey.

congratulations
It it fully lined?
Thank you. I always appreciate your perspective.

And yes, it is fully lined.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess I've been posting on the Lounge long enough for you to know my personal taste by now, Hem, so I probably don't need to wax effusive about how much I like your new jacket, from fabric to action back. I do, however, wish to take the liberty of saying you make the jacket look all the more outstanding by the way you wear it and by complementing it with those other fine garments to complete your look.

aliados

One of the Regulars
DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!

Is that the Winter weight 11 ounce pure Australian New Wool Scottish Gingham Check? Does it feel as good as it looks?

May I PM you with a bunch of questions on just how you managed to get them to follow your instructions so perfectly?

I got one suit from them and found my requests pretty much ignored (although they did assure me that they could and would do anything I wanted when I sent them a slew of JPEGs with specific questions.

Or maybe I should simply get your order number, and tell 'em to do THAT to the back of my suit jacket and to its armholes!

Hey -- I just had a thought -- maybe I should simply hire you as my valet (I wish!)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
aliados said:
DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!

Is that the Winter weight 11 ounce pure Australian New Wool Scottish Gingham Check? Does it feel as good as it looks?

May I PM you with a bunch of questions on just how you managed to get them to follow your instructions so perfectly?

I got one suit from them and found my requests pretty much ignored (although they did assure me that they could and would do anything I wanted when I sent them a slew of JPEGs with specific questions.

Or maybe I should simply get your order number, and tell 'em to do THAT to the back of my suit jacket and to its armholes!

Hey -- I just had a thought -- maybe I should simply hire you as my valet (I wish!)
Thank you, My Friend,

Is it the 11 oz... , No, it is not too very heavy. It is a smooth and modern fabric. It is very nice, but lacks the heft of a vintage cloth. It is very smooth and soft though, and it drapes nicely.

You may PM me with whatever you need to know, and I will do my best to help. I was very specific this time and I worked with someone via email who was very helpful. You see, rather than order, I inquired first whether they could do it.

I must say, though, you would get more skill and responsiveness from Magnoli. I think sometimes, I just got lucky with them.

Let me know how I may help, though the valet position is out; I cannot be obsequious to anyone. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh my, I stand corrected! It is the Winter weight pure Australian New Wool Scottish Gingham Check! I just looked it up on the order form.

Sorry about any confusion. :eusa_doh:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hem's personal warmth

Hemingway Jones said:
Oh my, I stand corrected! It is the Winter weight pure Australian New Wool Scottish Gingham Check! I just looked it up on the order form.

Sorry about any confusion. :eusa_doh:

Nice to know we Aussies are keeping you warm Hem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou