Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW ELC .50CAL A2

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Very nice impulse buy Andrew. It will only look better once you get a chance to wear it a bit. It should develop some nice accordioning (won't find that in the dictionary) on the sleeves and pull them up a bit and it will look perfect. I find if I can get mine to rest somewhere around 24" with the wrinkles it looks good. For me, yours it a tad long in the sleeves, but the rest looks spot on mate. Great deal on the Werber as well...I never see a used GW smaller the a 42 though. Guess it's because guys like me can find original side 38s all day long. :eusa_clap

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, you are correct the jacket will fit even better with some wear. I prefer slightly longer sleeves. These will shorten a bit with wear. IMO there is nothing worse than an A2 with short sleeves! So I presume you ahv ordered one from Gary?

Burnsie

Crown zip

Love the "chevron" zippers - what makes this model ('42?) different from their previous one('41)?

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
aswatland said:
Yes, you are correct the jacket will fit even better with some wear. I prefer slightly longer sleeves. These will shorten a bit with wear. IMO there is nothing worse than an A2 with short sleeves! So I presume you ahv ordered one from Gary?

I am just the opposite, I like em short, but prefer no wrist is showing. As for ordering one from Gary, I'm going to wait for now, got a late model Dubow there for some restoration, knits and such, and I also bought an original Aero he had for sale, a size 40 so I think it might be too large but I couldn't pass up the price. I'll most likely sell it. Now I've got this G&F AN-J3-A that needs some serious help and it's gonna cost me to get it sorted out. So as soon as funds permit I'll pick up a 50 Cal. Just makes more sense for me that one of JC's at the moment.

Here's a pic of the 18775P I picked up from Gary, a steal at 355 USD, works out to about 175 GB. A little rough round the edges, but everything's there, even has a nice Kwik Zip fully intact.

6d1c_3.JPG

793c_12.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Nice looking jacket, Andrew. Always great to see actual photos of someone wearing one 'for real' - much more informative than the glossy studio photos of jaket alone that you tend to see on manufacturer's websites. Definitely an advantage to be able to try one on before you buy.... I was hoping to check out Eastman's 40 pattern Irvin at the Imperial War Museum - was sure they stocked Eastman.... either I got that wrong, though, or they've changed as they're currently selling ALC Irvins only. Pity.... I'd like to be able to check the size as I want to be able to fit a sweater under one, which would normally mean a 44, but I hear so much about Eastman's sizing running big....

Was (and here's where I show my ignorance) cow ever used in the war era A2s, or were they all strictly horse and goat? Your steerhide looks great, has a really authentic look - just curious as to whether they have opted for steer on this model for historical accuracy or whether it's employed as a way of getting a really accurate look. Either way, great looking jacket, and looks like a great fit too. I'm not a fan of the ones that are so neat they look like a leather shirt, but I do love that neater WW2 era fit as opposed to the modern blousey style.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Edward, if you haven't seen it before, there's a lot of good info here regarding the A2.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

I'm no expert, but they were also made from steer.

ELC are much less blousey than some years ago, now much closer to the often debated 'military fit'.................

If you like, I'll post the exact measurements of a Pearl Harbour 44"?

Edward

Bartender
ethanedwards said:
Edward, if you haven't seen it before, there's a lot of good info here regarding the A2.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

I'm no expert, but they were also made from steer.

ELC are much less blousey than some years ago, now much closer to the often debated 'military fit'.................

If you like, I'll post the exact measurements of a Pearl Harbour 44"?

Tat could be useful, thanks - I'm hoping to pick up the Irvin for the Winter, as previously said, and I'm just a it wary of ending up with something that's too big. An oversized Irvin could be a clumsy thing...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Tat could be useful, thanks - I'm hoping to pick up the Irvin for the Winter, as previously said, and I'm just a it wary of ending up with something that's too big. An oversized Irvin could be a clumsy thing...

Slightly :eek:fftopic:

Edward, talk to Gary if you are considering an Irvin, he really knows his onions.

I normally take a 40 in shirts and dress jackets and I got my 1940 Pattern in a 42 and it's perfect. I can wear it with a jumper underneath no problems or with just a shirt (without looking swamped). I'd definitely recommend getting extra length if you are tall. I'm 6'1 and got an extra 1 and a half inches on the body and sleeves and it is just right. Gary will help you enormously with what you want and what's the best for you.

Plus he's got the patience of a saint!

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
Slightly :eek:fftopic:

Edward, talk to Gary if you are considering an Irvin, he really knows his onions.

I normally take a 40 in shirts and dress jackets and I got my 1940 Pattern in a 42 and it's perfect. I can wear it with a jumper underneath no problems or with just a shirt (without looking swamped). I'd definitely recommend getting extra length if you are tall. I'm 6'1 and got an extra 1 and a half inches on the body and sleeves and it is just right. Gary will help you enormously with what you want and what's the best for you.

Plus he's got the patience of a saint!

Thanks, soon as I have the cash together I'll drop him a line - good to know he's as approachable as that. Sounds like a 44 might not be too far off for me, then - I'm a 42R in a sports jacket.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Senicko_Spain said:
So they say, not to contradict but it has yet to be proven. I do remember once Aero offering up cash to anyone providing evidence of the existence of an original A-2 made of steer.

Interesting, I had no idea! I recalled Eastman referring to wartime jackets being made of steer, in the Golden Book I think, but I'd can't be definite about that. I'm surprised it's so difficult to establish, there must be a lot of people still alive who were actively involved with jacket manufacture. Thanks for the pointer.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Eastman Pearl Harbour 44"

A little later than advertised, here are the dimensions of the ELC Pearl Harbour. Hope they might help someone decide what's right for them. Sorry, I should have said, I'm 6', 42" chest and about 205lbs - I consider this jacket a very good fit.

a2dimensions.jpg

Edward

Bartender
ethanedwards said:
A little later than advertised, here are the dimensions of the ELC Pearl Harbour. Hope they might help someone decide what's right for them. Sorry, I should have said, I'm 6', 42" chest and about 205lbs - I consider this jacket a very good fit.

a2dimensions.jpg

Thanks, Ethan- that's very helpful. :) Do you normally wear a 44 or a 42 in a suit jacket?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
suit size

I had to go and have a look! ( I wear a suit about 3 times a year)
It's a 42" regular (off the peg jobby, shameless)
My Aero Highwayman is a standard 42 and that fits very well too.
Hope this helps a bit??!?!?!

Edward

Bartender
ethanedwards said:
I had to go and have a look! ( I wear a suit about 3 times a year)
It's a 42" regular (off the peg jobby, shameless)
My Aero Highwayman is a standard 42 and that fits very well too.
Hope this helps a bit??!?!?!

Much, thanks. :) I'm a definte 42R. for years I've found in a modern bike jacket I need a 44, but it seems that I'm best off in a 42 in a WW2 era jacket. :)

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Good show Edward. Just to make sure I was clear though, the A2 I posted is
an ELC 44". (I've also tried an Aero in a 44" but sadly it was way too small.)

Burnsie

History Preservation Associates now feature this jacket on their site and make no bones about it being an Aero copy:

"The leather and trim color, collar configuration, pocket flaps, etc, are typical of 1942 manufacture from the largest wartime contractor of A-2 jackets located in Beacon, New York."

No names of course!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav