Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New ELC "Time Worn" A2s

kinabalu222

New in Town
ethanedwards said:
Hi Kinabalu, some time ago I posted pics of my ELC pearl Harbour, they're
here if you scroll down the page a little.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32205
For the serious collectors a jacket like this probably doesn't sit right, but a few months down the line I'm still very happy with it. Good luck with that long wait, it's a tough one!

Thanks Ethan for the link, I think I am going to LOVE this jacket! The HPA website pictures are very poor and I was nervous about the amount of weathering but your pics show that it has just the right amount for me. It also looks buttery soft and very comfy unlike the all-new sizing jacket they sent me which was cardboard stiff. I think I made the right choice. Is yours the American Walnut or Havana Brown?

I will offer another analogy of why I like the weathered look. I've always hated warbirds that have been restored to newer than new condition complete with polished chrome spinners and props and glossy camo paint because they are never in that condition in the field. Over the last ten years in the US, you can start to see warbirds with authentic flat paint/finishes and much more original (abeit mostly non-functioning) equipment like radios, ammo boxes etc. in the aircraft. I think it is a good sign. I am also a model builder and always weather my models with fading and chipping paint, exhaust stains, oil streaks etc. I simply love the worn in, lived in look and perhaps is why I decided on the weathered version of Eastman's A2.

Anyway that's me and I fully respect other's preference for wanting to wear it in themselves. Like I said before, I had a tough time deciding. Maybe I'm just trying to justify my decision after the fact!!:eek:

Herman.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
kinabalu222 said:
I've always hated warbirds that have been restored to newer than new condition complete with polished chrome spinners and props and glossy camo paint because they are never in that condition in the field.
Oh gosh yes. The glossy camo always made me groan - what, was flat paint not FAA authorized for awhile?[huh]

Now if we can get the plane owners to stop using advertising art directors for the nose art and instead turn to Jerome Urbaniak and his crowd...aside from glossy paint, nothing hacks me off more than seeing a P-51 in ETO colors with what looks like an 80s beer poster on the nose.

kinabalu222

New in Town
Fletch said:
Oh gosh yes. The glossy camo always made me groan - what, was flat paint not FAA authorized for awhile?[huh]

Now if we can get the plane owners to stop using advertising art directors for the nose art and instead turn to Jerome Urbaniak and his crowd...aside from glossy paint, nothing hacks me off more than seeing a P-51 in ETO colors with what looks like an 80s beer poster on the nose.

Hehe...how about perfectly masked and painted D-day stripes in high-gloss! Almost all of these stripes were hand-brushed on for DD and had jagged edges.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Hi Kinabalu, the A2 is the darker shade, walnut brown. I'm sure you'll be as pleased with yours too. How about posting some shots of your models?

kinabalu222

New in Town
ethanedwards said:
Hi Kinabalu, the A2 is the darker shade, walnut brown. I'm sure you'll be as pleased with yours too. How about posting some shots of your models?

All my WWII aircraft models were put into storage when I relocated to Hong Kong but I have some pics of the contemporary armored vehicles I've built. Enjoy.

2905791049_df8125853b.jpg

2905791617_2d7e57e774.jpg

2906635862_0710f64a61.jpg

2906634176_dde0c85164.jpg

2905791959_a5e0bdfb86.jpg

kinabalu222

New in Town
Here is my helicopter collection. These are mostly pre-built models that you assemble but I weathered the paint and equipment and also added painted details.

2906630872_17b18ca658.jpg

2906632012_dba8db5f38.jpg

2906630554_abbb0c9cd7.jpg

2905786031_28982fba78.jpg

2905785523_2f745ffa0e.jpg

2905784867_450fa26f8f.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Beautiful Kinabalu, I especially like the AFV's - am I right in assuming they're
1/35th? Spit makes a good point though, I've made you hijack the thread - sorry. Maybe we need to look somewhere else to post this stuff - any suggestions from the Mods please? Many thanks:)

kinabalu222

New in Town
ethanedwards said:
Beautiful Kinabalu, I especially like the AFV's - am I right in assuming they're
1/35th? Spit makes a good point though, I've made you hijack the thread - sorry. Maybe we need to look somewhere else to post this stuff - any suggestions from the Mods please? Many thanks:)

Yes, sorry to go off topic, but still it highlights my point about the look of weathering versus brand new so maybe its OK.:D

Yes you are correct, the armored vehicles are 1/35 while the helos are 1/18.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
ELC Time Worn

Hi All,
Not a newbie, just lost my identity and have had to re-gain it !

I've had Gary send me a couple of Warhorse and Time Worn and .50cal jackets and I have had to return each one as I haven't been happy with the amount of grain in the hides. That doesn't mean that I'm knocking them, just that they don't fit my idea of a gnarly, well grained hide. I've had quite a few A-2 repros in my time and done various weathering techniques on them all but never ended up with the effect I was particularly looking for simply because the hides have not had the grain. I'd assumed that wearing the jackets hard and using hot water etc would bring the grain out. But you can't bring out what isn't there in the first place.

I've come to the conclusion that, with the exception of goatskin jackets, you are better off buying a jacket that you can see in advance of buying. For those of us in the UK, going to see the Eastman stand at Duxford is easy (if bloody expensive) and I'm going to hold on buying another A-2 until I can do that. I reckon that now I can see the grain inherent in the hide whilst new, I could pick the right jacket for me even if it hasn't had the ELC treatment to begin with. That doesn't help folk from foreign shores but is my very humble opinion.
It's also why I love cloth and nylon jackets; with those you get what you want from new as they are all the same, man-made , material and it behaves pretty much the same all over the jacket.

Cheers all,
DDR

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dudleydoright said:
Hi All,

I've had Gary send me a couple of Warhorse and Time Worn and .50cal jackets and I have had to return each one as I haven't been happy with the amount of grain in the hides. That doesn't mean that I'm knocking them, just that they don't fit my idea of a gnarly, well grained hide. I've had quite a few A-2 repros in my time and done various weathering techniques on them all but never ended up with the effect I was particularly looking for simply because the hides have not had the grain. I'd assumed that wearing the jackets hard and using hot water etc would bring the grain out. But you can't bring out what isn't there in the first place.

I've come to the conclusion that, with the exception of goatskin jackets, you are better off buying a jacket that you can see in advance of buying. For those of us in the UK, going to see the Eastman stand at Duxford is easy (if bloody expensive) and I'm going to hold on buying another A-2 until I can do that. I reckon that now I can see the grain inherent in the hide whilst new, I could pick the right jacket for me even if it hasn't had the ELC treatment to begin with. That doesn't help folk from foreign shores but is my very humble opinion.
It's also why I love cloth and nylon jackets; with those you get what you want from new as they are all the same, man-made , material and it behaves pretty much the same all over the jacket.

Cheers all,
DDR

Agreed. I was able to select a grainy 50 Cal and "time worn" RW 1401p from the ELC stand at Duxford back in the summer and am delighted with both jackets.

kinabalu222

New in Town
Dudleydoright said:
Hi All,

Cheers all,
DDR

Agreed, I wish I could see the product and try it on before purchasing. I think this applies to all clothing, shoes, belts etc for sizing and fit but in the case of leather jackets, the look and feel. Although by HPA's sending the sizing jacket to me, I did find out I did not like the all new look and feel as well as the fact that I needed a larger size, so its a compromise I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats