Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New fella with hair issues....

NotsoGolden

New in Town
Hello gents! I'm new-ish to the scene, and trying to get my feet wet in all things vintage and gentlemanly. I have some things under my belt, but my hair isn't one of them. I have short, somewhat wispy hair. It's rather unruly, and because it's so light, fly-aways are an issue. I currently have Surf Wax from Fructis, but the hold isn't strong enough without hairspray on top of that. I have used gels, but I'd rather steer clear of them as well. My question is this, what product would be best to get my hair to part and lay in a classic businessman style? Pomade, tonic, or something altogether different?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Have you considered a buzz cut? I got my first one in front of a large enthusiatic 4th of July audience and have never looked back. My hair was thinning on top at the time and I was very happy to not have to 'style' it to cover my emerging scalp. and on top of that, it was less obvious after the buzz that I was thinning because what was there stayed in its place instead of blowing around. Been doing it myself for almost 16 years. Just a thought.

NotsoGolden

New in Town
Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I have looked briefly at the pomade and brylcreem boards, but most posts speak of them helping their full, thick hair be manageable. I've had the buzzcut for a while to help with the thinning....but since I still have some up there, I'd like to wear a nice vintage look while I can. I'm very partial to the hairstyle of Don Draper of Madmen. The classic businessman would work both at home and at the office. So I guess a more specific question is how to hold that style with light hair??

Alex

Practically Family
Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I have looked briefly at the pomade and brylcreem boards, but most posts speak of them helping their full, thick hair be manageable. I've had the buzzcut for a while to help with the thinning....but since I still have some up there, I'd like to wear a nice vintage look while I can. I'm very partial to the hairstyle of Don Draper of Madmen. The classic businessman would work both at home and at the office. So I guess a more specific question is how to hold that style with light hair??

Use a light pomade or hairdressing, such as Royal Crown Hairdressing, Dax Short & Neat, Murray's Super Light, or even Brylcreem or Groom & Clean would probably work.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
I feel your pain... I've got thin hair that's only getting thinner. I've got two recommendations for you...
If you want your hair product to wash out, get Layrite. You can find it at www.layrite.com
OR... if you want more traditional product and more shine, go for Lucky Tiger's Cru Butch wax... you can find it at www.getluckytiger.com
Good luck!

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I'd say a pomade is your best bet. Go to Walgreens and get a can of Royal Crown, it should be under $3 and its a good way to get a feel if a pomade will help you. I have been using Royal Crown for a few months now and I like it, I would consider my hair normal, but as it grows it gets whispy and even a little wavy on the back and sides and the Royal Crown works pretty well in controlling that. I'm planning on trying Dax next time as I can find it locally.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
If you have hair issues, get rid of the hair.
Problem solved.
Worked for Yul, works for me
250477366_86e68fdcac_m.jpg

250478276_a49d42c969_m.jpg

Last edited:

redtag

Banned
How about using molding clay for hair? I haven't tried using one for my hair but I see wonderful results on my friends' manes.

NotsoGolden

New in Town
Since the original posts, I've tried a few different products including a water-based generic pomade, and Murray's original. So far, I have settled on Groom&Clean. It gives me adequate hold, though I could not be using enough, and both I and my wife like the scent. It also is easy to get the Don Draper look, and keep it all day(thanks in part to my new must-carry pocket comb). I also considered trying Three Flowers....but I can't find any reviews or recommendations on it. Has anyone here used it?

I use it, the consistency is about like Vaselene, thick stuff. What I do is finish it off with just a little tiny bit of baby oil for shine and it'll thin the pomade if it's too thick for you.

NotsoGolden

New in Town
I think my hair is a little too fine to put that much weight on it. It goes flat if I add too much Murray's for extra hold on top of the Groom&Clean. I'm still working toward that perfect amount...and getting some more length on top to get some of these wild spots to lay easier...lol

Edward

Bartender
If you have hair issues, get rid of the hair.
Problem solved.
Worked for Yul, works for me
250477366_86e68fdcac_m.jpg

250478276_a49d42c969_m.jpg

With you on that, Bob. I persevered for years with shorter and shorter buxzzcuts until, about five years ago now when a number one twice a week wasn't hiding the thinning (I was thinning evenly all over the top, which is the absolute worst way to lose it, IMO) - in fact, it looked like a reverse Jarhead, which is every bit as awful as it sounds (alomst as bad as a true jarhead cut, actually.... ;) :p ). My sole regret on going over to shaving it completely is that I didn't do that right from the off in mid 2002 when I first realised it was thinning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner