Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Golden Bear Bayshore Horsehide Jacket

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Edward

Bartender
Jacket in the OP looks nice enough, though at around four hundred more than a comparable Aero / BK / W.H.Y., a little out of my price range...

Fair point, I was going on my general experience. I've never got my hands on one of those boxy horrors that Haggis guy tried to force on the world.

OK, I'm lost now...

The oddest thing I've seen recently, though, is a guy on eBay selling tweed jackets listed as a three-piece suit, but when you read into it, it's a jacket with a non-matching waistcoat, and enough extra of the jacket material to have your own trews run up... [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Jacket in the OP looks nice enough, though at around four hundred more than a comparable Aero / BK / W.H.Y., a little out of my price range...

OK, I'm lost now...

The oddest thing I've seen recently, though, is a guy on eBay selling tweed jackets listed as a three-piece suit, but when you read into it, it's a jacket with a non-matching waistcoat, and enough extra of the jacket material to have your own trews run up... [huh]

A few years back a guy called Brian Haggas, an Englishman no less, tried to corner Harris Tweed production by basically buying up the majority of the mills, reducing the number of patterns made, and produced these terrible boxy jackets that you'd be hard pressed to find outside of a golf club, of which he sold very few. He apparently still has a warehouse packed with them somewhere. There's an fine documentary called "Harassed Tweed" that you should be able to find on Vimeo.

Tadite

Familiar Face
I'm not all that sure I'm a fan of that Golden Bear. Looks a bit like a vastly to expensive version of a Vanson Ike (if you want to say within the US but goodness knows they need a new web site you would never know they made decent interesting stuff) or something that has been done a bit better by Aero, Goodwear, et al. Heck I've seen the horsehide Ike's for about 300-400 on ebay after Orbitz (boy I just misspelled that!) sale. Golden Bear has been doing some nice collaborations of their own. Unionmade is the most common and I think the best overall. They've had a series of those types of tweed/A1/50's style jackets. A couple tweed peacoats rocked and their in a bit more traditional slim styles then the normal gigantic!

I think the blue fabric version of this jacket on the Unionmade site is a much better choice, and @ $375.00 also a better buy.

sewer election

New in Town
I've got a Golden Bear jacket they did with Engineered Garments that has a similar leather on the outside, wool on the inside type of collar.
Lovely details, though I wouldn't pay the full asking price for them after handling Aero and AL jackets.

The pea jacket, which is similar to the Farallon Shawl Collar jacket on the Unionmade site..

fit photo

Edward

Bartender
Sewer, any more information on the fastening of that jacket? Looks like you can use buttonholes or the loops (elastic?) - what's the design concept behind that? I imagine the loops might be easier to use with gloves, and would give you maybe an extra inch in the body...

A few years back a guy called Brian Haggas, an Englishman no less, tried to corner Harris Tweed production by basically buying up the majority of the mills, reducing the number of patterns made, and produced these terrible boxy jackets that you'd be hard pressed to find outside of a golf club, of which he sold very few. He apparently still has a warehouse packed with them somewhere. There's an fine documentary called "Harassed Tweed" that you should be able to find on Vimeo.

Oh, yes, I remember that. He tried to kill all but about six patterns that he intended to mass produce, wasn't that the case? What happened there in the end, did he get run out? I remember it being mentioned in the BBC docusoap on Savile Row, the tailors there bemoaning him trying to destroy everything that was great about Harris Tweed.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Oh, yes, I remember that. He tried to kill all but about six patterns that he intended to mass produce, wasn't that the case? What happened there in the end, did he get run out? I remember it being mentioned in the BBC docusoap on Savile Row, the tailors there bemoaning him trying to destroy everything that was great about Harris Tweed.

It was something like six patterns, but only two fits. He was a bizarre character who seemed to think that he could bend the whole market to his will.

sewer election

New in Town
Sewer, any more information on the fastening of that jacket? Looks like you can use buttonholes or the loops (elastic?) - what's the design concept behind that? I imagine the loops might be easier to use with gloves, and would give you maybe an extra inch in the body...
Hey there. The loops are leather, and yeah before the leather started to soften up it was a fair bit easier to do it up using the loops rather than the holes. The loops give you a bit room for when you need to pile on the layers. Engineered Garments were doing some detachable hoods/half vests that I suppose would work well with the jacket as there are only two sets of loops for the upper half of the jacket. I can't seem to find photos of said hoods, but they were similar to the one below, though made using wool and possibly even a down filled one..
26-03-2013_eg_fishermansvest_navy1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo