Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Grey Akubra Federation

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
My gray Federation arrived yesterday and it is "better than expected." It was easily shaped and I love the color. I had always resisted a dark or charcoal gray having gone with the brown Federations, but this is one nice looking hat (even my sister-in-law said so). I haven't decided if the band is a super dark gray or black, but it's the "cat's meow." I ventured out with this purchase ( with a very happy ending) thanks to Atomic Glee (thanks guy), but was sadden to hear of your hurtful experience and wish the best for you, we have all been there. Also Kaleponi Craig I've been meaning to thank you for sharing your ukulele passion...I belong to a small ukulele group in Denver and passed on your contributions to others here who also enjoyed them. I don't write often, but often think how our passions, enthusiasms, and interests extend way beyond ourselves...often without our even knowing how far.
Best wishes
Chuck

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Well, our own Kaleponi Craig was good enough to offer a shot of himself in his new grey Fed, so I figured I should do the same. Suit is a newly acquired Jos. A. Bank Signature line dark blue w/ light blue & brown pinstripes, and the tie is a '40s vintage in a really nifty pattern.

newsuit1.jpg

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
Smart, AG!!! By the way, I was at a wedding yesterday wearing my grey Fed and a cute little 20 something lady came up to me and said my hat looked 'hot'. Made my day!...KC

Thanks! I got a compliment today while in my grey Fed and that suit, from a girl my age (early/mid 20s) at my favorite local coffee shop (the Four Star Coffee Bar) - as I walked in, she yelled out, "I love your hat - that's the coolest thing ever!"

Maybe there's hope for more of my generation. :)

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Kevin - very nice look - you're a natural. Did you wear brown shoes?

If I could make one suggestion then I'd recommend tortoiseshell specs to bring out a little more color in your complexion.

m

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
clevispin said:
Kevin - very nice look - you're a natural. Did you wear brown shoes?

If I could make one suggestion then I'd recommend tortoiseshell specs to bring out a little more color in your complexion.

m

Thanks! I've come a long way from when I first arrived at the Lounge.

No, I was in black shoes. After getting the suit from eBay, and noticing the subtle light blue & brown striping, I am now curious to try it with brown shoes, though. I remember a thread on this somewhere 'round here, about the matching of blues and greys with brown shoes/hat/etc. It was very interesting. I saved some old fashion images from that thread.

Thanks for the tip on the glasses. These are beat up, and in need of replacement. I've been thinking on getting some vintage (or at least vintage-style) glasses.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's my question.

Belt and shoes are brown, suit is... not black. Can I wear a black band on the hat without clashing? I have a black band on my straw and I'm told by some (girls) that they think it doesn't "go" with the brown leather.

I know the grey/brown/blue coordinating goes for suit/hat fabrics but what should the hat band match or coordinate with?

I weight women's answers higher for obvious reasons. :D

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
carebear said:
There's my question.

Belt and shoes are brown, suit is... not black. Can I wear a black band on the hat without clashing? I have a black band on my straw and I'm told by some (girls) that they think it doesn't "go" with the brown leather.

I know the grey/brown/blue coordinating goes for suit/hat fabrics but what should the hat band match or coordinate with?

I weight women's answers higher for obvious reasons. :D

I've worn my Panama with a black band in many situations, including khakis and brown belt/shoes, and haven't received any guff for it, even from the ladies. Perhaps they're just being kind, though. lol

jml90

One of the Regulars
Atomic Glee said:
Better?

241058676_8f30d0bdea.jpg

The tie, for the curious:

http://static.flickr.com/87/241059599_6ba879f0c3.jpg[/QUOTE]
Now you get a 10 for 10 :eusa_clap
In your avatar you look [I]exactly[/I] like me

ideaguy

One Too Many
What a Man!! AG- always wondered what was behind that smirk in your avatar-you look cool, man...try a touch of color in your pocket square, or a small pattern, to pick up that jazzy tie's statement. And glasses- tortoishell is
one of my passions, and one of the harder color/pattern combinations to work with, you really have to try on lots of pairs, and have someone objective with you; a tint too much toward yellow can be disaster in daylight but wonderful in incandescent/flourescent..I go with my old standby, vintage gold frames, highest k I can get-(have a pair of 14k-Cartier,1930's), and keep them shiny-get anti-glare glass, so folks can look deep into your eyes without the usual mirror glare. my 3 cents. keep the top button undone,too. M

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Freshly reblocked and reshaped by yours truly:

912121297_cf6a186e4a_o.jpg

I've also beveled the edge of the brim on both my grey and brown Federations, which gives it a very subtle finishing touch.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Could've asked the same in your Campdraft thread: Are we talking about dent, pinches, brim down with the help of steam, or did you actually reblock them? If so, what did you change?

The outcome is very good in any case!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy