Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New guy here

TLW '90

Practically Family
It closes right over letf and has fake pockets, IMO its a women's coat.
Also the brand name sounds like a wordplay between "Damsel" and "Elle" which is retty feminin.
Lastly, if you google "Damselle leather jacket" you only find women's coats with that brand name...
I suspected that.
It's probably going to go to Goodwill.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Okay, I'm definitely done buying jackets for awhile.
I did a little research and I think the Brooks may be a model 400 women's jacket because of the side zips in the rear , and the position of the pockets.

I doubt anyone would see this jacket and know it's a woman's jacket though, so I don't really care and I honestly like it's features over the model 500 anyways.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
That Brooks looks to be the cool, less common mustard color. That being said, I think it's a woman's model as well. The collar latch is reversed and there are darts on the chest:
IMG_4246.jpg

What are your key dimensions? Shoulder, P2P, back length, sleeve length, and maybe hem? There's lots of great jackets posted in the Finds and Deals thread. Maybe nail down your dimensions and then keep an eye on that thread for some good leads.

TLW '90

Practically Family
That Brooks looks to be the cool, less common mustard color. That being said, I think it's a woman's model as well. The collar latch is reversed and there are darts on the chest:
View attachment 365766

What are your key dimensions? Shoulder, P2P, back length, sleeve length, and maybe hem? There's lots of great jackets posted in the Finds and Deals thread. Maybe nail down your dimensions and then keep an eye on that thread for some good leads.
Would you still wear it ?
I'm just thinking that probably nobody but me and you guys here would know, and if it fits then why not since it's not really a woman's specific style.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I got the other jacket in and it's not terrible I don't think, but the sleeves are a bit longer than I'd prefer and it seems to be a cheap bonded leather.

I definitely have a lot to learn , and I need to be more careful about what I buy.
Just because it's American made inexpensive and " leather " doesn't mean it's necessarily worth buying.

This Jacket I don't know what to really do with, it has a spot of peel about the size of a quarter on the right shoulder, and the cheap quality of the " leather " is very apparent.
Honestly I think I will use it for Halloween this year.
I can wear it and it's not the worst thing in the world but it isn't great either.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Would you still wear it ?
I'm just thinking that probably nobody but me and you guys here would know, and if it fits then why not since it's not really a woman's specific style.
I personally wouldn't but that's just me. I doubt few would notice the latch direction and functionally it's irrelevant. The darts on the chest are more noticeable in my opinion, and it's cut and constructed to fit a woman's body.

At the end of the day if you like it and want to wear it that's all that matters. What I, or others, think about it don't amount to a hill a beans.

One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unneccessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways. ~ Bertrand Russell
Stick around, read, read, and read some more. Keep asking questions. A hobby is only as fun as you make it, so don't get discouraged during an initial learning curve. It's a great group here and you can learn a lot in a short amount of time.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I personally wouldn't but that's just me. I doubt few would notice the latch direction and functionally it's irrelevant. The darts on the chest are more noticeable in my opinion, and it's cut and constructed to fit a woman's body.

At the end of the day if you like it and want to wear it that's all that matters. What I, or others, think about it don't amount to a hill a beans.

One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unneccessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways. ~ Bertrand Russell
Stick around, read, read, and read some more. Keep asking questions. A hobby is only as fun as you make it, so don't get discouraged during an initial learning curve. It's a great group here and you can learn a lot in a short amount of time.
Yes I'm just going to do as much learning as I can before I buy anything else.
I have already learned a few very useful things.

This jacket I think I will probably just list here, maybe for trade.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Got busy yesterday and today. Didn't see your thread until just now. Glad you decided to join us.

Just a minor point of correction (major point to us Army guys): you said your father probably got the shoe buffer at the BX at Ft. Bliss. Well, there is no BX at Ft. Bliss. Never has been and never will be. A BX is a Base Exchange. The Air Force and the Navy have bases, the Army has posts. There is a Post Exchange at said Fort, and that is probably where he got it. Don't let him know you referred to the PX as a BX. That wouldn't go over very well.

I, too, am a fan of Pit Bulls.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC

TLW '90

Practically Family
Got busy yesterday and today. Didn't see your thread until just now. Glad you decided to join us.

Just a minor point of correction (major point to us Army guys): you said your father probably got the shoe buffer at the BX at Ft. Bliss. Well, there is no BX at Ft. Bliss. Never has been and never will be. A BX is a Base Exchange. The Air Force and the Navy have bases, the Army has posts. There is a Post Exchange at said Fort, and that is probably where he got it. Don't let him know you referred to the PX as a BX. That wouldn't go over very well.

I, too, am a fan of Pit Bulls.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC
Thanks for the correction.
I always get those confused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112