Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New... here and to hats!

Smyat

One of the Regulars
'Allo, gents (and ladies). New guy here; been lurking a while but had no particular yack to get off my chest (or my head).

I've never been a hat wearer. Never. Hated 'em. Even caps when I played ball felt weird and uncomfortable. Then...

I dunno, I decided I really had to have an Indy hat. No good reason, just a tremendous urge. Did a little digging and decided that if I was going to bother, I didn't want costume junk, I wanted the real, real thing... so last Xmas a large, light, bulky box opened to reveal a Herbert Johnson Poet with a dress Indy bash.

And I discovered I loved wearing the thing. Both my wife and I are '40s admirers - we both think styles peaked then and have never hit close to that high since. So she chooses dresses that evoke the era and I just had a new suit made for top-end events... and while it's not really a full '40s rig, it's got a retro look to it that I love.

I wore the hat around town a little, and then I had a huge event to manage in Kansas City. Took the suit for the big dress party, and wore the hat the rest of the time because, well, "who has the _____ hat?" was a running gag among the organizers and since I was figuratively wearing the big hat, I... wore the big hat. It became a quick signature and got lots of compliments, one from a guy who hangs here, which was quite a surprise.

Anyway, I can't wear the hat and suit because the Indy is sable and the suit is charcoal... can you say eee-yuck? I can.

So now I've really started down the road to hell, with all the best intentions... My charcoal Akubra Sydney should be here later this week. Diamond bash, I think. Hmm. Darn that I forgot to add a gray puggaree to the order (from David Morgan, natch).

Anyway... hi, all. It's your fault. I won't forget that. ;)

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge. I think that Indy is like a "gateway drug" to hats. You start with that style, and then the world of hats opens. Lots of good info, and I look forward to seeing you around! Huzzah!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm a new hat fans too, and I've never worn a hat seriously, only baseball caps and during the rain. But sure when you've entered this forum your attitude toward hat would change. I recently went hiking and worn my wool crushable hat. It was quite hot during the day, the sun is shining brightly, and I realize how comfortable a hat is.. even I got a bit sweaty since it's a wool (the cool breeze in the hill helps though). But looking at other hikers who mostly didn't wear any headwear at all (I could be the only person wearing a brimmed hat), I kinda laugh and say (in my heart only of course). "Hah, enjoy the bright light, sxxxxrs!" lol lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the FL, Smyat! Great to have you here.

The Outlaw Kyle said:
I think that Indy is like a "gateway drug" to hats. You start with that style, and then the world of hats opens.

lol lol lol Somebody studying psychology should do their thesis on this problem, Kyle! You are so right!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the hobby, and to the place we gather to talk about it. You're in for a lot of fun (and only a little bit of heartbreak).

Achille

Familiar Face
Hello Smyat,
Wellcome in this really friendly place I discovered a few monthes ago.
But be carefull, hat is a drug and you will soon forget that you have only one head:D

J.M.

DOUGLAS

welcome Smyat

Do yourself a favor and appologize to your wife now for clearing out her closet to make room for your hats. While you're at it start moving the kids down to the basement.;)

Smyat

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
Do yourself a favor and appologize to your wife now for clearing out her closet to make room for your hats. While you're at it start moving the kids down to the basement.;)
Well, lessee, my wife bought me the Indy (convinced it was another useless toy I'd soon forget about), likes the way it looks on me, wishes she could wear hats (it's tougher for a professional to get away with such idiosyncracies; I get to set my own agenda), can't wait to see the Akubra on me... and we've gone from six kids to three, so there's plenty of room.

I don't expect to acquire more than a few, really - fedoras are all that appeal to me and once I have a set of basic styles and colors I don't know that I'll keep going. I don't usually work that way... but I can see the knowing grins all around. :p

surely

A-List Customer
Achille said:
Hello Smyat,
But be carefull, hat is a drug and you will soon forget that you have only one head:D

J.M.
My wife and daughter told me that. My answer: yeah, but I got lotsa personalities.:;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Darn that I forgot to add a gray puggaree to the order (from David Morgan, natch).
I recently bought a Knox Weekend Roundup on Ebay, took one look at it upon receipt, and decided the price justified a complete re-working. So, I removed the feathers and corded hatband. Then I mashed and bashed the crown until I have a good semblance of a diamond crown. Now I'm awaiting the delivery of a puggaree, 4 felt strips, and some other items from David Morgan. I'll let you know how this turns out.

p.s. This is addictive. I started with a Borsolino purchased at Mark Shale in Chicago. Now I have a black Stetson homburg, a Bailey Gangster, an Akubra Federation in charcoal, an Art Fawcett Rt. 66, another Art Fawcett in sage, a templeform by Stylepark that I just sent to Art to see if he can make one like it in my size, a Dobbs Macon straw, and a Country Gentleman Safari straw. I'm always looking for a 7 5/8 if something nice comes my way. There are worse habits I'm certain.

DOUGLAS

Smyat said:
fedoras are all that appeal to me and once I have a set of basic styles and colors I don't know that I'll keep going.

I'm happy to read that your wife approves and you have plenty of space. I have been trying to get a set of basic styles and colors too, for about Thirty years now Good luck!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy